Anyone know much about Theosophy?...

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hello all :waves:

Just wondering if anybody here has ever been to a Theosophy group?...

there is a group that meets every week near me, and it sounds interesting so I thought I might go along one week and see what its all about, but would appreciate any insights into this that any of you may have?...

(I have read up on Theosophy a bit, but don't know anyone who has really studied it or attended meetings....dont wanna end up among cult followers!) :eek:

• hmmmm. yeah, it does sound interesting. I like to learn about new stuff and broaden my horizons so might go along one noght for the hell of it...

tonight they were apparently going to be having a talk on Freemasons at 5pm with mediation at 6pm...interesting combo :)

• My gran was one, don't know much about it - except for spirit guides-did go once for a "reading" when you hand over a piece of jewelery - that was amazing predicted something in the future - I was 7 or 8 and it all was a bit scary.
    Its sort of "new agey" but has been arround for over a hundred years

Tell us more when you have been

• Quote from mellowguy

Interesting, it sounds sort of like Bahá'í Faith.

I don't know too much about that or Theosophy though.

Bahai's an interesting one... I have met several people who are followers of that faith, and none of them were able to explain to me what they actually believed. Possibly, they weren't too sure themselves.

I've read a bit about it on the net and have to say I'm still a bit clueless.

Didn't someone else mention theosophy on here, lately? It's a word I have heard before, but I don't know anything about it's meaning...

• Have you read Madame Blavatsky's 'Isis Unveiled'? Good place to start. Haven't been to any meetings meself but there's pieces of life's puzzles to be picked up in every place so why the hell not??

• hello all, thanks 4 your comments! :)

aryianism?...ooh er?! :hitler:

they won't like me then (there's some jewish blood in these veins!).

hmmm....

Might pop along to the group I've seen advertised one week just to see what its all about...

I was kind of hoping for philosophical discussions with cups of tea and a bit of debating....however, if it seems dodgy in anyway I shall make my excuses during the break and leave via the backdoor!:happydanc

• Quote from winter

My gran was one, don't know much about it - except for spirit guides-did go once for a "reading" when you hand over a piece of jewelery - that was amazing predicted something in the future - I was 7 or 8 and it all was a bit scary.
    Its sort of "new agey" but has been arround for over a hundred years

Tell us more when you have been

Hi Winter :waves:

Thanks for your insights/experiences with your Gran?...she sounds like she was a fascinating lady....

The reading with the jewelery sounds well interesting...if a little spooky!:eek:

I will try and go next week (Sunday) and will let you know what its like!:thumbup:

• Ooh yes do, I'd be really interested. Don't get too hung up on the race thing - Blavatsky was a product of the 19th Century when PCness was unheard of. Ultimately it was her aim to:

"break down racial and national antipathies and barriers; it will open the way to the practical realisation of Brotherhood of all men" (ahem and women!!)

With all esoterica it's important to avoid seeing things in literal mundane terms. The symbolism is key - eg. the major arcana, the tree of life, alchemical birds, the eye in the triangle, etc...

• Quote from halo

Have you read Madame Blavatsky's 'Isis Unveiled'? Good place to start. Haven't been to any meetings meself but there's pieces of life's puzzles to be picked up in every place so why the hell not??

Cheers Halo :waves:

Your advice was much appreciated!. Think I'll order myself some books on amazon and swot up before I go along.
    think you're right about not getting hung up on anything too.:sunsmile:

hopefully I'll meet some interesting people (bound to be deep thinkers) so I shall go 4 it and see if I can learn something..always good to try and expand the mind (even if it turns out that I can't understand as much of it as I'd like to!) :)

• If theosophy interests you, you might consider having a gander at the works of Rudolph Steiner, who inspite of much controversy contributed enormously in many fields including education, medicine and agriculture (biodynamics)

As I recall Steiner held a prominent position in thr German branch of the theosophical society, but was ostracized due to him not really conforming to the quite rigid rules (an ongoing theme in the free-thinking Steiner's life)....so he began the anthroposphy stuff instead...

• Quote from partydread

If theosophy interests you, you might consider having a gander at the works of Rudolph Steiner, who inspite of much controversy contributed enormously in many fields including education, medicine and agriculture (biodynamics)

As I recall Steiner held a prominent position in thr German branch of the theosophical society, but was ostracized due to him not really conforming to the quite rigid rules (an ongoing theme in the free-thinking Steiner's life)....so he began the anthroposphy stuff instead...

Cheers Party:)dread..

I've have heard of the Steiner schools and a bit about his ideas about education?... seemed like a sound guy. ;) cheers 4 the info, I'll check it out :thumbup:

• Quote from princesstigermouse

Bahai's an interesting one... I have met several people who are followers of that faith, and none of them were able to explain to me what they actually believed. Possibly, they weren't too sure themselves.

I've read a bit about it on the net and have to say I'm still a bit clueless.

Odd. Most Baha'i I know are pretty articulate. Of course, when you're run out of your country based on persecution of your belief, you better know what those beliefs are! Were they raised Baha'i or converted?

To sum up in a hopefully clear way: They fall into the same line as the Jeudao/Christian/Islamic religions, believing that God sends us all a phrophet every now and then with a new message suited to the times.(Moses to Buddha and such) The last phrophet was a fellow named Baha'u'lla who's message was basically to say that science and religion can jive, every one's equal, heaven and hell are states of mind and that the after life is (to put it crudely) planar plus the typical 'unite humanity with love and God' and the usual core morality that's found in the jeudao/xtian/islam line of sects

Out of the monotheisitic religions, it's pretty decent. But that could just be 'cause they haven't been around as long of the others to get to the oppressive/causing damage stage.

Theosophy. Well, their level of esoterisim too pretty grand for my tastes. I'm kind of curious on what they have to say on the Freemason's.

• Quote from SithInKnots

Odd. Most Baha'i I know are pretty articulate. Of course, when you're run out of your country based on persecution of your belief, you better know what those beliefs are! Were they raised Baha'i or converted?

Recently converted, and English.

• I was the Housekeeper/Caretaker at the London Headquarters of the Theosophical Society in the mid 70's for 4 years. Fantastic library. Cool ideas 'There is no religion higher than Truth'
    Krishnamurti was adopted by Annie Besant as a world religious leader and of course he did become one but he forook the Society as he hated being 'Guru-fied'
    Rudolph Steiner's ideas were before his time. The trouble is the schools now bearing his name refuse to evolve...(my daughter is a Steiner teacher)

• Quote from Owly Bynight

Rudolph Steiner's ideas were before his time. The trouble is the schools now bearing his name refuse to evolve...(my daughter is a Steiner teacher)

That's interesting - how so?