I' ve come to a conclusion!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I've come to a conclusion, I think! I would like a stealth camper. I've been to look at a camper van today, not stealth but a home conversion which was quite good, but the price was too high. Considering the price of a similar panel van is only about £1500. I couldn't build to that standard, he took apart a wrecked caravan and refitted the cabinets, windows, cooker, etc., to the van. . So as an out line I've listed some possible targets, please feel free to butcher and savage them, and offer advice.
    1. The donor van would be diesel Citroen Relay, transit size, because their engines are bullet proof and they don't rust so badly as transits, is this true?
    2. Pay lip service to the requirements for conforming to the regulations for camper vans. For example I believe some insurance companies are more "relaxed" about the standards. I think you could get away with having small windows higher up than normal in the sides.
    3. But if I went down the stealth route a lot of the work could be saved by using prefabricated kitchen units or the like from DIY stores.
    4. Insulation would be foam spray as I seem to recall this has excellent properties and professionally applied is a good solution.

• Quote from Blackadder

1. The donor van would be diesel Citroen Relay, transit size, because their engines are bullet proof

:eek: Blimey! The police round your way must have a real thing against travellers!!!

• Hi the engines arnt too bad but nothing like a tranny but the relay gear boxes ar not so good. yes thay dont suffer the rust like a tranny but i recon the comfort is more ldv ish again unlike say a t reg tranny which will resemble a pair of old slippers. im not a tranny fanatic though. and if a relay is found whithout millions of miles on the clock then you should be ok

• Now,i am a tranny fanatic :)
    funny innit we've all got our favourites.

i'm just finishing my home build,not exactly a stealth camper tho with a chimney sticking out its side :p

but when you add up all the costs involved,building your own is not a cheap option.

• If you can get the ex display kitchens from the diy places, sometimes the display ones are built at 70% real size so they can fit them in a smaller space, these would take up less space in a camper conversion.
    Grendel

• Quote from Grendel

If you can get the ex display kitchens from the diy places, sometimes the display ones are built at 70% real size so they can fit them in a smaller space, these would take up less space in a camper conversion.

i didn't know that!
    is that because most window shoppers are 70% real size? ;)

• stealth ? like a stealth bomber look ? why are you trying to avoid radar on the roads? ..?...oooohhh speed cameras!! haha cool, so you can get from festival to festival as soon as possible with no fines. will it get through an mot?

• Thanks for the replies, it looks as the transit wins, up to now. Is it because there are so many about? Or are there specific reasons, like maintenance, easy of repair, cost of spares, etc. I really do like the reputation of the Citreon/Peugeot diesel engine, but I didn't know about the gearbox! What sort of MPG and mileage can you expect from any of your favourite vans?

• Quote from Blackadder

Thanks for the replies, it looks as the transit wins, up to now. Is it because there are so many about? Or are there specific reasons, like maintenance, easy of repair, cost of spares, etc. I really do like the reputation of the Citreon/Peugeot diesel engine, but I didn't know about the gearbox! What sort of MPG and mileage can you expect from any of your favourite vans?

transits will always be my van of choice because they are so bombproof. like has been said already - tis the rust that gets them in the end, but they're so cheap to buy and maintain that even if you only get a couple of years out of them and move onto the next one, it's still cheaper than most.

in my experience anyway! my 500quid tranny lasted me 20,000 miles before dying of rust. thats alot of miles for ya money!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Just how bad is the rust problem with transits. What causes the most problems and where do you look for the most damage? Are ex-ambulances worth considering as most have "starship" miles on them?

• wheel arches , steps , doors , floor pan etc you name it really ! ambulances have normally been really well looked after so mileage aint a huge prob , also most are fibreglass bodied on a chassis cab so less rust to deal with :)

• If you go for an ambulance look out for the turbo ones as thay realy fly and handle well for a van. also most have webasto heaters as a bonus !
    i dont think if you got one direct from service you will find much wrong with it.

• First thing I did with both my Transit and bedford was to attack them with a big can of waxoyl, fill all the chassis members, spray the wheel arches etc, they still rust out eventually though.
    Grendel

• Quote from Grendel

First thing I did with both my Transit and bedford was to attack them with a big can of waxoyl, fill all the chassis members, spray the wheel arches etc, they still rust out eventually though.
    Grendel

Is that better than fish oil (it comes in anaerosol can from auto shops)?

• Its a thick gunky wax that you spray into the chassis sections, displaces the water and gives a waxy coat over everything that isolates it from air and stops oxidization, thus preventing rust, get it in all those places that water sits and they shouldnt rust out for a while, comes in little aerasols and big cans with a hand pump too.
    Grendel

• We have a ford transit van that is rusting away. We were given it a few months ago when the rust had already set in and wasn't really treatable other than going in for some heavy duty welding. I personally don't think it's worth the cost of doing as it also has other things going wrong with it. What I would like to know is where can we get another van for a fairly cheap price, but in ok condition? Ebay seems to have loads of bombs with rust almost as bad as ours within our price range but I really don't want to buy one that's in that state.

Am I being unrealistic to think I can get a sound engine and body work for £500-£1000? The van we have got is probably able to be fixed-up if you know how to weld and are ready to replace the exhaust manifold and get it tuned, but for us it just has to go as we don't have the off road space to do the work or the skills. As it is, it's too unreliable for what we need it for.

• TBH I just sprayed the waxoyl on, maybe I should have cleaned an hammerited first, but I reckon Owts better than Nowt, so just sprayed the waxoyl into every hole I spotted.
    Grendel