Rainbow Circle

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I went last year .... hmmm

good bits bad bits

good to not go alone, then you don't get bogged down in the politics

don't expect everybody to be pleasant

take your own cooking stuff

had some fun, but also witnessed lots of ageing hippies and their power struggles

just like any community really

caravans are okay

• colours of thewind when you say "don't expect everybody to be pleasant"

what you mean????

Maybe I would be better giving it a miss and sticking to a UkHippies gathering??? NEver been to either you see and only ave 5 days left to take off work.. CHeers

• I used to go as a child and loved them :) There is a lot of politics going on there now though I hear, which may cause a bit of tension. Obv I remember it differently from how it mayactually have been! They do normally have good workshops, cafes and activities though I'm sure, so don't dismiss it out of hand.

Fairest of the Happy Hippy Redheads
    I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dream, for the adventure of being alive... :heart:

• no cafe these days, just one veggie meal at tea time - like I said, there's good and bad on every field :)

• Quote from spacecactus

colours of thewind when you say "don't expect everybody to be pleasant"

what you mean????

Maybe I would be better giving it a miss and sticking to a UkHippies gathering??? NEver been to either you see and only ave 5 days left to take off work.. CHeers

I mean that there's lots of personalities wanting things their way and lots of confusion - obviously it depends who turns up and how tired people are after setting it up. The more you put in, the more you get out of it.

I went for the first 10 days last year, when it was setting up - I like the doing part of things - if you want workshops, then the last week's probably the best time to go, when the whole camp's set up.

There are arguments about alcohol, around personal camping but not generally around site .... but lots of people who flout the agreement.

Don't dismiss it, I met some lovely people there - but it is just on one field, so you can't camp away from anybody who does your noggin in.

If lots of uk hippies went, it might be mighty fine - you wouldn't notice the cliquieness amongst some.

If I lived nearer, I'd pop in again

• The time I've spent at gatherings of Rainbow People has been good.

By far, most Rainbow people I've known have wanted to live close to nature and to be part of earth's harmony. And many of them generally live by those ideals and feelings:)

There's many who are very spiritual but of differing ideas and no-ones preached at me for more than a few sentences yet...plenty of acceptance of different paths.

As Colours of the Wind explained...it starts with a 'seed camp' which is when people prepare the site..dig the toilets..prepare kitchen areas..I love this too...there's nothing like working with people for getting to know them and getting to understand each others lives. but that's really only intended for people who want to share getting it together. Then there's the full gathering for which many more people turn up...

yes some do bitch about stuff but most people join in with their brothers and sisters...enjoy the harmony and put energy into it...

lots of accoustic music and singing / chanting in the main circle...when it's good it can be great...

When the dramas come near me I just smile, listen awhile, make up my mind and then let go...there's always a few that seem to thrive on drama and verbal skirmishes. Meantime the practical folk just get on with doing what needs doing and living with their brothers and sisters.

The main important principles that nearly all Rainbow people seem able to agree on is that babylon is left behind when you get onto the main site...no trading..no generators except in the parking zone if at all...gentleness and respect for the land and for each other....you make a fair donation decided by yourself into the majic hat..usually by the main food area which is used to purchase what is needed. If you can't donate much you're expected to have the good conscience to help in other ways...chopping veg etc. All decisions are decided by the group as a whole at the 'rainbow circle' itself.

Arrive with your shit together..tent sleeping bag etc...your own bowl and spoon for the main meal. Have some stuff with you for munching at other hours. As detergents wreak havoc when going straight into the land...natural soaps only. It's a strong tradition to leave the land in equal or better condition than before the gathering.

In Spain I've not come across alcohol being openly consumed at a gathering except in the parking areas...too many people have got fed up with the aggression and lack of sensitivity that it causes in so many... it is consumed by a few...and if someone offers me a whisky in the calm of the night I wont be thinking about rules but the intention of the rules:whistle: . But don't have any booze on show in the central areas like the main lodge and kitchen..if only to make it easier for those who are having trouble abstaining.. It's drunkenness that's a downer at such gatherings rather than gentle consumption. So...still not recommended if boozing is your thing:D

• Wow, dont know wot everyone was moaning about... HAd a really cool time at rainbow camp, met loads of cool people, did some nice workshops, sold some stuff on my stall!

Would highly recomend for people nexy year!

• brilliant, I'm really glad ... must've been the down end of the cycle last year.

Was Lisa Butterfly there?

• Just to point out that there are several different organisations with "Rainbow" in their names. The one I think Chazz is talking about is the International Rainbow Family (or some such) which has massive (20,000) gatherings in the USA. Rainbow Circle is quite small, and seems to be fairly low key and essentially non-commercial these days. The commercial types split off to form Rainbow 2000 some years ago. They have their AGM coming up shortly, where they make plans for next years' season. So anyone interested in helping put on small-ish non commercial camps in the UK should be welcome. I may go, haven't quite decided yet. I used to work with them years ago, but things could be quite different now, I'm not even sure I'd know anyone now. If anyone else here is thinking of going I'd be interested in hearing from them. Details :

----------
    Rainbow Circle AGM Saturday 25th October + Sunday 26th
    at Hatfield Court near Leominster HR6 0SD.

All members welcome from 11 a.m. on Saturday.
    (Membership is One Pound plus donation)

Possible lifts from Leominster train station at 11.30 a.m. Saturday
    (please let us know if you will be there)

Parking is limited, so if you want to bring something bigger than a car
    please let us know in advance.

There is space for tents, and will be a communal crash space room or two.

Please be responsible for your kids - there is a muddy stream!

[george]

(PS I think the main business should be hearing any proposals for camps next
    year...)

~ [g] ~
    ~ george@... ~
    ~ 07970 378 572 ~
    -------------

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rainbow-circle/

http://www.rainbowcircle.co.uk/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rainbow-heartshare/

• Yes lisa butterfly was there for last week, i was in her caravan, cos i paid for its storage on site since may.

This year was a lot less political than last year, i was crewing and like last year tatted up, and down. Much better vibe, you really do get out what you put in though.

Food was better and there was breakfast and main evening meal, we are magic hat, which means food cost come from the hat, that way everbody gets to eat.

I will not be at AGM cos only now out of debt having done crew at sunrise and getting overdrawn and stung for £60 speeding fine coming back(did a speed workshop instead of points) HI colors of the wind we have met i was by annies bus near here garden last year.

Hi pete good to see you got back all right even if you did give lift with some kids.lol.

We are not Rainbow Family in american sense although some of us do go to gatherings.

love

• [quote='Rainbow Ben','http://ukhippy.com/freakpower/forum/index.php?thread/&postID=567824#post567824']Yes lisa butterfly was there for last week, i was in her caravan, cos i paid for its storage on site since may.

This year was a lot less political than last year, i was crewing and like last year tatted up, and down. Much better vibe, you really do get out what you put in though. "

did the set up and by mid august was up for a peaceful time of things. I tried to put a lot in last year, but the conflicts made it hard to get much done ... other than the usual climbing frame / dome assembly and washing up

HI colors of the wind we have met i was by annies bus near here garden last year. ooh, really? hmmm, was it you that invited the girl who played Violin then? I really don't remember a Ben .... but it was a bit hectic down the corner where I was ....

• I havent been able to log in for a week or so as thereś a weak fone sig in the mountains. Am currently spending some time living at the Rainbow Village of Beneficio

So its one blissfully happy chazz....

Don´t forget to keep hold of your sanity :pp

• Don´t forget to keep hold of your sanity :pp

Don't worry...they need me sane to keep their solar power rigs and wiring together:D. I spent a good part of the first three days on repairs, mainly here at Edgar's yurt

beneficio 037a-640.jpg
    Also took a whole load of pics for the Beneficio website...so I'll put some in a new thread here soon.

• Between Ashbourne and Belper at a place called Bradley Nook Farm. Its J's farm and He's alright. I will post or someone else will on this forum next camp.

Colors of the wind, probably because i ve changed my first name, and because i was the person doing the welcome home dome from 7 am till about 11 - 12 ish, I had the smallest tent on the filed and was there from set up to tat down.

The issues with Lisa and george have been sorted out, so this year we didnt have a running shouting match with lisa doing all the shouting and even the adorable(LOL) Chrissy was on best behavior until she decided to kick off at the end-sad but true.Family coped.

I worked really hard this year with Kestral & weasel who where the Co Ordinators to create a certain ambience which has been missing apparently for a long time.

Issues with drinking have on the whole been resolved, the attitude is, what you do in your personnal space is up to you, and no one elses business.

Hopefully I will be elected on to the Winter Working Group for '09 camp?s.
    If not i will still crew. I realise your experience last year color of the wind wasnt good, it was my first time as well and i had to put up with a lot of nonsense like being spiked.however being autistic(asperger syndrome-there a few of us on the spectrum-i m the only one diagnosed though) does have its pluses like i dont have theory of mind. I would have a picture of my beatiful Autistic self for you to droool over(LOL), i just dont have access to the relevant technology( I use this crappy computer at the libary.)
    I Would like to take this opputunity to thank Space Cactus and Family for providing the lighting effects on the field and for being sharing of there personnal space and understanding of ignorant people- please come again a challenge stereo types.

Wish i was in Beneficio, Have a great time Chazz- atleast i can dream- were u at the international in spain? Eric and family went and were at camp.
    Peace and contaplation. :) Love to those with a open loving Heart.

• thinks I know you now ... tall by any chance?

spiked ~ hmph ~ not unusual ~ seems to be ignored by certain people?

glad things are better ~ love Lisa lots and would do the AGM but too busy ....

• Wish i was in Beneficio, Have a great time Chazz- atleast i can dream- were u at the international in spain? Eric and family went and were at camp.
    Peace and contaplation. :) Love to those with a open loving Heart.

I was too busy at the time to get up to the North of Spain for the international, though I'd like to visit their 'village' up there near Leon, next year.

• Between Ashbourne and Belper at a place called Bradley Nook Farm. Its J's farm and He's alright. I will post or someone else will on this forum next camp.

:eek: Thats amazing, I grew up in Ashbourne. :insane: Keep me up dated if theres anything else going on round there, if i'm about i'd love to come.

• Hi all, yes,is the answer top of the class and a beutiful rainbow star to you! colors of the wind, got your private mesage -cant post message to you? from computer at library- so hoping post to forum works.
    Place wher hold the camp near ashbourne isnt really a secret cos its not a rave-no electric, and we are magic hat so no ticket etc, you could find the info on the net also anytime.
    Hope this mesage works, spent 1.5 hors writing ,then having to rewrite ,message to colors of the wind- keep telling me i wasnt logged on and i am? bizzare. Love to all, have a great weekend.

• Hi stuoolong,
    possibly,
    Chrissy is Chrissy and has a lancashire accent and has a red van, a heart of gold sometimes and is brilliant with young kids, plus is really intelligent, however, alcohol, like for so many brothers and sisters, doesnt do her any good.
    Im apparently on the winter working group for rainbow circle, so as and when a camp could manifest i will (with permission of the winter working group) post information on this forum.

Shine