Dealing with parasites and infestations

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• If your home had mice, cockroaches or any other potential animal safety hazard what would you do to clear it?

Would you call in pest control/take deadly measures ... or would you live with it out of principle?

I know there are humane traps for rodents .. insect hazards I'm not so sure about.

What about if you or your child had headlice?

Is there any time when killing a creature is justified for health reasons?

• There seems to be an obvious pecking order, people draw different lines at different places:

Humans
    Mammals
    Birds
    Fish
    Reptiles
    Insects

I draw my line under humans, but then I temper it with the principle of non abuse for any life form, and if death needs to be dealt, do it quickly.

• Insects and such I tend to trap and put outside, even the ones I'm terrified of (wasps .. shudder!) ... mice and rats I don't need to worry about, the cat takes care of those ;)

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Quote from Firinne

Insects and such I tend to trap and put outside, even the ones I'm terrified of (wasps .. shudder!) ... mice and rats I don't need to worry about, the cat takes care of those ;)

But what if you had an infestation of roaches or ants or even a wasps nest in your attic ... would you still try to trap them and put them outside?

• Quote from Doktor Atomik

If I can catch it, I catch it. If it needs killing, I kill it.

yep thats about my take on it too (sitting here with yet more headlice shampoo on!) thank god for the cat though i wouldn't want to be killing the mice!

• Quote from samsimillia

yep thats about my take on it too (sitting here with yet more headlice shampoo on!)

Ooooo feeling for you Sam, with your dreads :0( Was the reason I cut mine off after 8 odd years of having them.. gutted I was but I had enough of the headlice. Funnily only started to get them in the last few years of having dreads, after mixing with friends children. And you just cant brush ummm out can you :0( and they seem to be immune to a lot of things :0(

I posted this on another forum .... I couldn't be bothered to retyped so I lifted it and pasted it here, with a little editing. I hope it will be of use to you and any other folk.

Getting rid of headlice is probably the one and only non-vegan thing I do, a very very rare case of it's either them or us!! When you have children you get these things, mind you they are rife nowadays. Actually, the nasty nasty midges in scotland aren't very popular with me either

We use tea tree oil to try to deter headlice, nit combs and if they have got a hold there is a vegan friendly herbal solution made with lark spur called DELACET, that you can get from health food shops and ironically suitable for vegans!! There are more on the market!!

This is another remedy I found on the net, and it doesn't just have to be for children :0) .....

If you are like most parents, you want a safe and effective treatment for head lice. Most treatments are toxic and are not recommended for toddlers. Here are three different treatments from parents. As always, this is not medical advice. Please check with your doctor if you have any concerns.

Treatment#1 Combine 1/2 tsp. each of Eucalyptus, Pennyroyal and Rosemary. Then add 2 1/2 tbls. pure olive oil. An Adult needs to try the mixture on his/her skin to make sure it doesn't burn. If it does, add more olive oil. After washing your child's hair with very hot water (as hot as the child can stand!) Comb the oil mixture through hair with a regular comb (throw away kind) Then use a nit comb, comb out any nits or eggs. Tie a cotton scarf around child's head and leave on over night. It may tingle, but if it burns wash out immediately and dilute the mixture and try again. THE NEXT MORNING Wash hair with a good tea tree shampoo. This should take care of the lice, however if necessary repeat the treatment. To prevent lice (when it has been reported in your child's school) rub tea tree oil or sassafras oil into the scalp.

Anyway, good luck with them wee beasties .... we are just getting over another bout of them :0(

Love and light
    Xxxx Stormy xxxX

• Quote from Paul

But what if you had an infestation of roaches or ants or even a wasps nest in your attic ... would you still try to trap them and put them outside?

Probably not, wasps have no purpose in nature and they're aggressive little *stards - I wouldn't fancy going anywhere near a wasps nest!
    Ants and roaches I'd find a humane way of discouraging, and if it didn't pay off I'd probably give in and exterminate them.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• ive always just let things live with me, but this yr i left a fly in my flat when i went to a festival for 5 days, when i came back there was loads of baby flys, i havnt killed anything like that for yrs, i left my window open but ended up with wasps commin in, then after much self justifacation i start squatting them, but that went on for over a week and id still keep seein them. so i brought some fly spray which goes against everything i belive. dunno how much bad karma im gonna get for fly genocide, but dont know what else i could have done, there was too many and they were too small to catch them all.

• Yeah, exterminating things goes against most things I believe in - but I think anything that carries disease isn't a good housemate and after finishing a course in biology I just can't bear having an infestation of anything like that :barf:

All of nature's survival of the fittest I guess, and (IMO) the best way is to make sure that you never take life without good reason and without exploring alternatives first.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Quote from Firinne

All of nature's survival of the fittest I guess, and (IMO) the best way is to make sure that you never take life without good reason and without exploring alternatives first.

Well said Firinne :0)

Even wasps have their place in the eco system as they are brilliant for eating pests on our plants like aphids ect.. People just think they are a waste of time but they aren't at all.

Sometimes, but only as a last resort, it does have to be a case of them or us. I squatted disused buildings in London for a while, and one of the places I lived was infested with cockroaches but we had no choice where we were to live at that point, so we had to carry a bit of exstermination out (not that it was that effective I seem to remember). I am not proud of that at all but sometimes it is a health issue too.

Where I can the alternative methods will always come first :0)

Love and light
    Xxxx Stormy xxxX

• I like to live and let live, whatever fly or wasp that comes in the house I will always try to get them back out the window rather than splatt it. We have loads of spiders and webs in the garden at the moment so the flies have to take their chances outside. My boy also likes to watch the spiders and flies in their dance to the death. Hey thats nature.

As for mice I onced lived in a flat above a pizza takeaway in East London and we had loads of the little furry things running around, mostly at night. I was quite happy to let them be there but my partner of the time well they did freak her out a bit.
    I used humane traps, poison and the old fashioned break their back traps. Unfortunatly it was the old fashioned traps that were the most effective. The humane traps that did work meant I ended up running naked down three flights of stairs to release Mr squeaky into the street in the middle of the night.:sleep: And I sure they just found their way back up within a few minutes.

We are old, we are young, we are in this together... New Model Army....they still going?

• I think with things like head lice/rodents/roaches that are considered pests the best thing to do really is to exterminate them - if you think about it, your kid has lice .. you decide not to treat them, they breed and suddenly their whole school has them. So, when all the other parents decide to treat them there's a much greater loss of life (and greater damage to the planet because you can bet 80% of them aren't using eco friendly methods) and that occurs every time you dig your heels in, so logically the most ethical approach is to deal with it with as much kindness and responsobility as you can.
    The only problem I have with it is that I don't like having the blood of any creature on my hands, logical necessity or not.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Yet to deal with headlice but i'm sure the lad will bring them home from school one day. I did have scabies once and had to cover myself from head to toe with foul smelling cream, yuk itchy and stinky. :(

We are old, we are young, we are in this together... New Model Army....they still going?

• Quote from Tigerdaddy

I like to live and let live, whatever fly or wasp that comes in the house I will always try to get them back out the window rather than splatt it. We have loads of spiders and webs in the garden at the moment so the flies have to take their chances outside. My boy also likes to watch the spiders and flies in their dance to the death. Hey thats nature.

Generally, I agree in principle. However, there are exceptions. We've been plagued by mosquitoes in somerset recently, and every time I go to bed it seems there's a few buzzing around in search of blood. Now the blood's not the issue - if I could hang a leg out of bed and let 'em feed on it all night, then no problemo. What I have an issue with is the little bastards buzzing within inches of my ear and waking me up every 10 mins. Now sorry, but I don't sleep well at the best of times, and I have to be up early for work most days. If I see a mozzy late at night, it's fair game.

What I have an issue with is the little bastards buzzing within inches of my ear and waking me up every 10 mins.

Yeah I take it all back, bastard buzzy things, wipe em out. :bones:

Generally, I agree in principle. However, there are exceptions. We've been plagued by mosquitoes in somerset recently, and every time I go to bed it seems there's a few buzzing around in search of blood. Now the blood's not the issue - if I could hang a leg out of bed and let 'em feed on it all night, then no problemo. What I have an issue with is the little bastards buzzing within inches of my ear and waking me up every 10 mins. Now sorry, but I don't sleep well at the best of times, and I have to be up early for work most days. If I see a mozzy late at night, it's fair game.

Yup, that's what finally swayed me with the mice - I'd swear they were holding raves under my bed at night, all I could hear was high pitched squeaking and lots of mental running around!

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Quote from Firinne

Yup, that's what finally swayed me with the mice - I'd swear they were holding raves under my bed at night, all I could hear was high pitched squeaking and lots of mental running around!

Story of my life! Are you sure it was mice?!? :harhar:

• Quote from Stormypagan

Anyway, good luck with them wee beasties .... we are just getting over another bout of them :0(

thanks for the advice i may well try that next time! i have used nice n clear which was devoloped by a good friend of mine when he went to india for a while. unfortunatly now a bigger company have taken over they have added a few other ingredients. lee has long hair now and so he has had them this time for the first time ever! like me though he is too stubborn to have his hair all shaved off and is willing to put up with having mum wash his hair with nasty shampoo for a few weeks!

in india they use neem oil as an insect repelant, so i'm thinking if i keep washing my dreads with tea tree shampoo and putting neem oil on i might not get them again (for a while at least!)

• all this reminds me of something that happen last year at beautiful days festival..... i was working as a steward when a fellow steward came and asked me to help her out with a problem with a punter. a family had pitched their tent up the day before not realising they were right next to a wasps nest. that day whilst eating they had started getting plagued by them and found the nest. the dad of the family had put a saucepan lid over the opening to the nest and then demanded that the stewards get in someone to destroy the nest and all the wasps! i could not believe what i was hearing! i asked the family to move their tent away from the nest which they were not prepared to do! my point was that as festival goers we were invading their home for a weekend not the other way round. why should we destroy them for the sake of 3 days of camping? trouble was no-one could really see my point even the other stewards agreed with the family that the nest should be destroyed. thankfully those in charge saw the bigger picture (or they just wouldn't pay for a pest control person!) and the family were told move or put up with the wasps!

• If wasps bug me (scuse the pun), and I have to say I haven't seen any this year .. which might be coz its cold up North hehehe!!.... I shout at them to GO AWAY, and 9 out of 10 times they do. I think I am a wasp whisperer

Totally agree with you on that one Sam :0)

Love and light
    Xxxx Stormy xxxX

Story of my life! Are you sure it was mice?!? :harhar:

Yeah, ravers are always too out of it to want to steal your biscuits :insane:

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Quote from samsimillia

all this reminds me of something that happen last year at beautiful days festival..... i was working as a steward when a fellow steward came and asked me to help her out with a problem with a punter. a family had pitched their tent up the day before not realising they were right next to a wasps nest. that day whilst eating they had started getting plagued by them and found the nest. the dad of the family had put a saucepan lid over the opening to the nest and then demanded that the stewards get in someone to destroy the nest and all the wasps! i could not believe what i was hearing! i asked the family to move their tent away from the nest which they were not prepared to do! my point was that as festival goers we were invading their home for a weekend not the other way round. why should we destroy them for the sake of 3 days of camping? trouble was no-one could really see my point even the other stewards agreed with the family that the nest should be destroyed. thankfully those in charge saw the bigger picture (or they just wouldn't pay for a pest control person!) and the family were told move or put up with the wasps!

Yeah, BDs was rife with wasps last year .. we just put something sticky out to distract them, worked a treat :)

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Quote from Firinne

I think with things like head lice/rodents/roaches that are considered pests the best thing to do really is to exterminate them - if you think about it, your kid has lice .. you decide not to treat them, they breed and suddenly their whole school has them. So, when all the other parents decide to treat them there's a much greater loss of life (and greater damage to the planet because you can bet 80% of them aren't using eco friendly methods) and that occurs every time you dig your heels in, so logically the most ethical approach is to deal with it with as much kindness and responsobility as you can.
    The only problem I have with it is that I don't like having the blood of any creature on my hands, logical necessity or not.

Let's not forget they feed on the scalp and if left for too long may cause anaemia through blood loss! Apparently the term 'feeling lousy' originates from having head lice. Kill the little blighters I say!!!:mad:

• Quote from Earth Whirler

Let's not forget they feed on the scalp and if left for too long may cause anaemia through blood loss! Apparently the term 'feeling lousy' originates from having head lice. Kill the little blighters I say!!!:mad:

Eek, I didn't know that! Scary ...

Jiddu Krishnamurti