Exercise

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Me, well only a little, walk to the school twice a week and a few hours rigourous dancing maybe every third week. Fatalism.

• Quote from Paul

Who never does any and why not?

I never do, I have good intentions (a yoga dvd and an ab trimmer that got about a weeks worth of use) but I'm always too tired to bother with it :rolleyes:

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• hmm... i was a gym junkie till i got hooked on the internet....

i know i need to keep going...specialy as i'm still paying for it....theres always 2morrow :broc:

• Eight hours of manual labour a day, added to the walk to and from work and press ups if my right wrist can handle it.

The first person to make a joke about my occasional problem with my right wrist wins a prize :rolleyes:

• I am going against the norm here, cycle to work about 8 miles a day return journey.

Thoroughly enjoy it as distresses you for the entire day and does not pollute the atmosphere apart from my lungs!

Somehow I feel that a healthy lifestyle can support an unhealthy one.

Fear can be a bum thing
    A silly and a dumb thing
    Fear can be the one thing
    That keeps us all apart
    Zounds

• i walk lots and i have recently started doing yoga twice a week. i want to do more exercise but i get lazy sometimes, but damn it feels good after you'd had a really quick run after the bus, its like you get this huge adrenaline rush,, i dont know, thats me anyway.

Saw you riding on a moon cloud,
    Saw you walking on a whirlpool,
    From the corner of my eye,
    I saw you.

• Excercise, funny subject

If you think about it, isn't excercise kinda unnatural? No animal runs around or lifts heavy things for the sake of it. What we should be doing is putting a hell've alot more effort into our daily activities. Not driving would probably be the best thing to do. If you do enough things a day then your metabolism sorts itself out and regulates weight and strength naturally

The best excercise/diet thing I've found is definitely going to Glastonbury (festival obviously), can't beat all the healthy food and walking round it a couple of times a day seriously kicks your metabolism into gear :broc:

• I have the will power of a poo!!! I want to get fitter and more into shape (developing a lazy stomach)

Someone give me some willpower!!

I have downloaded a Yoga DVD.. so I shall give that a whirl and maybe join a class if I can afford it!!

Skipping is meant to be one of the best ways to burn those calories.. and I have a jump rope, but will I use it.. nuh uh!! :rolleyes: Silly me!!

*gets motivated*

• Quote from PeacePiper

Excercise, funny subject

If you think about it, isn't excercise kinda unnatural? No animal runs around or lifts heavy things for the sake of it. What we should be doing is putting a hell've alot more effort into our daily activities. Not driving would probably be the best thing to do. If you do enough things a day then your metabolism sorts itself out and regulates weight and strength naturally

But we're not living a 'natural' lifestyle are we? Generally we eat too much food and usually the wrong type of food so we need to compensate by doing specific exercise to burn it off. In times of old, we would've been doing a lot of physical labour just to survive, we're now living in a culture where, like you say, we drive places, we take the easy way with most things. And what about people who have 'desk' jobs? How much effort can they put into walking to the bog? Personally I do a lot of walking which is pretty natural and usually fairly enjoyable.

• Quote from Earth Whirler

But we're not living a 'natural' lifestyle are we? Generally we eat too much food and usually the wrong type of food so we need to compensate by doing specific exercise to burn it off. In times of old, we would've been doing a lot of physical labour just to survive, we're now living in a culture where, like you say, we drive places, we take the easy way with most things. And what about people who have 'desk' jobs? How much effort can they put into walking to the bog? Personally I do a lot of walking which is pretty natural and usually fairly enjoyable.

Ya, you're right, maybe I'm being too idealistic. I definitely enjoy more natural excercises though especially to a gym, I can't stand doing something non-productive without moving around

• Quote from PeacePiper

Ya, you're right, maybe I'm being too idealistic. I definitely enjoy more natural excercises though especially to a gym, I can't stand doing something non-productive without moving around

LOL I think gyms are weird, however, I did have a free week's membership once and went along a couple of times and loved it! I was doing more of the aerobic stuff rather than body-building and I actually found it quite meditative. Never went back tho', couldn't stand the awful music that gets played in gyms and the strange, sweaty vibe!

I do agree with your earlier point about natural exercise but it seems that our society is full of so much choice and so many different lifestyles that natural just doesn't seem applicable anymore. :)

• I do Yoga, walk a lot, and go to the gym. If I had the chance to do more nature based exercises I definately would however at the moment I can only fit an hour of gym time in between going to lectures, decorating and doing housework (booooo!) Its sad I know!

• I was doing aquafit every Monday, swimming once a week and badminton every Sunday. But we stopped the aquafit becauxe I hate the water and it just constantly ended up in ym face curtesy of some small woman with strong arms. The swimming stopped while I had a problem with my hair falling out. And the badminton stopped when I was too tired to go on a sunday eve because of my working hours!!!

Used to use the gym but it is TOO ritualistic (even for someone with ASD) and boring. I prefer badminton which is really damned good for you.

• Me n Charlie n me Mum have just started a once a week swimming regime :D

I do poi aswell - great cardiovascular and toning exercise :)

I would like to do something like Tai Chi or Chi Gong but the classes haven't fitted in with my work schedule until recently. Gonna check out Chi Gong in 2006 :D

Years ago I was a gym junkie - I love the gym but can't afford it and don't think me dodgy knee's would take it these days.

• I did Chi Kung a few years back and loved it. Started off with a friend who's friend was a teacher and the 3 of us would meet up every morning in her flat that overlooked Glastonbury Abbey. It was so nice and a lot of fun too, for reasons unknown giggles were a'plenty! However, he started teaching a proper class, but as with most classes in Glasters it varied from week to week, sometimes there'd be 15 of us, the next week there'd only be 2, as a consequence we'd rarely learn anything new because we'd have to start at the beginning each week so I stopped altogether. I did love it tho' and continued on my own. It left me feeling very centred and my posture improved greatly which in turn made me feel more confident. It always amazed me that such simple and gentle movement could stretch the body noticeably. I'd love to do T'ai Chi or yoga one of these days.......:rolleyes:

• i dont do that much but i always say right go for a run, take milo out for big walkies, dont get the bus blaa blaa blaa - but when it comes to it i cant be arsed or its to hot, to cold. I get distracted by something like a bug or whatever.

im to lazy for it - that is my new year thing though to start exercising just so i can roller blade along the beach and feel real good about myself.

• Quote from Earth Whirler

I did Chi Kung a few years back and loved it. Started off with a friend who's friend was a teacher and the 3 of us would meet up every morning in her flat that overlooked Glastonbury Abbey. It was so nice and a lot of fun too, for reasons unknown giggles were a'plenty! However, he started teaching a proper class, but as with most classes in Glasters it varied from week to week, sometimes there'd be 15 of us, the next week there'd only be 2, as a consequence we'd rarely learn anything new because we'd have to start at the beginning each week so I stopped altogether. I did love it tho' and continued on my own. It left me feeling very centred and my posture improved greatly which in turn made me feel more confident. It always amazed me that such simple and gentle movement could stretch the body noticeably. I'd love to do T'ai Chi or yoga one of these days.......:rolleyes:

What is Chi Kung? Niddrie Yoga is ok, it is very much a relaxation therapy and motivation therapy. Some other types I have tried at Confest but found them to be too strenous. The first time I tried it , I was distracted by young topless girl who was behind me. These days at Confest I go nude for most of the time.I have done T'ai Chi and it is preety cool.

• Quote from TheFly

I exercise the right to get pissed on a regular basis...:drunk:

Fly...

Me too!

The only exercise i really do is walking and horse riding but apart from that im reeeally lazy.

I want do do kickboxing or something to bash out all of the tension after sitting in front of a computer 8 hours a day but never got round to finding a class.

But then theres the best exercise in the world, good old sex:D

• Quote from Doktor Atomik

Bet you're popular down the gym! :madlol:

Yeah, im the one hanging around the lamp post outside it:whistle: