drilling glass?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I have a little project including some antique glass that i found from an old broken stained glass window.
    I want to make a sort of mobile thing from the pieces as its such a shame the window was broken by vandals.
    Ive no idea of how to hang the pieces, im guessing id have to drill them some how, anyone got any ideas?

• I shouldn't imagine drilling would work - jewellery foil and wire would be less shattering

• Quote from transitluke

buy a glass drill bit ! B and Q etc sell em , then use a couple of self tightening clamps to hold the glass to some wood , then drill away .

think ill try this 1, means i have to get dressed to go 2 bnq tho :p

• put some masking tape on the glass where you want to drill it to stop the drill bit from running off . Aslo DO NOT center punch the glass??????????

• Quote from transitluke

buy a glass drill bit ! B and Q etc sell em , then use a couple of self tightening clamps to hold the glass to some wood , then drill away .

But bear in mind that it's antique glass so liable to be pretty brittle - it may help to dribble some water onto the bit as you're drilling but whatever - go very slowly.

• Quote from Stardusts Dad

But bear in mind that it's antique glass so liable to be pretty brittle - it may help to dribble some water onto the bit as you're drilling but whatever - go very slowly.

yeah, i spoke to glowingsunsets and am going to get a mate to give me a hand 2moz to keep the glass wet

thanx evry1 for the advice, the worst that can happen is i break something that was already broken, will post pics if it works at all

• Quote from joss

put some masking tape on the glass where you want to drill it to stop the drill bit from running off . Aslo DO NOT center punch the glass??????????

I always put masking tape on then centerpunch the spot I want to drill on the masking tape. The blue tac idea sounds good too I have to say.

• another thing you could do which a girl i know used to make sea glass mobiles by doing it. get some wire make an S with a spiral at each end, then with a dap of glue gun glue; glue one spiral to the glass and the other use to tie fishing thread round :)

• Thanx 4 all the advice evry1

I tried and i tried and after 5 minutes of constant drilling id barely made a scratch, this is quite tough stuff

Back to the drawing board, think ill give the wire idea a go, thanx fleassy

• but yeah, my drill is quite shit, its just a little hand held one, i goy a glass bit to fit but think if i was going to drill it id need more power

• Quote from glowingsunsets

I glass is surprisingly strong.

yeah, much stronger than i expected, i didnt think it would be easy but hadnt really considered how hard it is

• Sounds like the drill bit maybe a bit too soft. You need drill bits that are hard. Ideally diamond bits, but carbide bits will do the trick. Depending on the diameter you need to have it spinning at a moderate speed. The smaller the diameter the faster you need to have it spinning. To stop it from cracking make sure it is well supported as you drill it, preferably on a block of wood. Also consider some form of cooling, dabing it with water or oil will do.

Matt