Ways to limit your impact on the environment ....

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I think it can be safely said that for most of us sustainable living is an evolving process, there are so many different things that can be done that most people start off with the small obvious things and develop more and more ways of living ethically as they go along.
    It's definitely safe to say that if it's something you haven't considered before the wealth of information and suggestions can be quite overwhelming, so I thought a thread where we share ways of living more responsibly might be a good idea, because then the information's there for everyone to take in piece by piece and we can all learn from each other.

So, if we all start off by adding one basic suggestion we can get a nice list going and develop it as we go along ...

I'll kick off with an obvious one, buying loose fruit and veg rather than packaged and not using the plastic bags to individually wrap them saves a lot of wasted resources and cuts down on landfill too.

Over to you guys, what other ways can we all change our lifestyles to be more sustainable?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• One thing I've been investigating recently is LED light bulbs. I've worked out that to light my house takes about 1000 watts-worth of bulbs, but with LED bulbs that comes right down to 100.
    Obviously those numbers only apply if I were to turn ALL my lights on at once, which is daft. But the proportionality remains in normal usage.
    I'm looking at a number of other things... But one at a time, eh. :)

• Go vegetarian. Our footprint shrinks dramatically if we do that. Not 100% sure on Vegan - Soya is currently (Hopefully it will change soon!) the single buggest cause of brazilian rainforest deforestation, but most of that is grown for livestock feed...

• Definately go vegan and it will shrink even more

*Just try and use less energy around the home like turn down thermostats, and use
    Energy saving light bulbs
    *Put a brick or a water filled plastic bottle in the loo system too cut down the amount of water used, or don't flush as often!!
    *Use reusable nappies or biodegradable environmentally friendly disposables
    *Use more natural householder cleaners like tea tree oil, vinegar and bicarbonate of soda etc..
    *Use draft excluder's at the bottoms of doors, made from old trouser/jean legs stuffed with newspaper.
    *Reuse plastic bags and plastic bottle/trays etc..
    *Where possible use rechargeable batteries
    *recycle all glass, tins, aluminum etc..
    *If you have a fire - you can buy a brickette maker that makes soaked newspapers into bricks and they burn for an hour (I used to have one and need to get another)
    *use public transport or lift share to save fuel consumption

Well there are a few.. if I think of anymore I will post them!!

• Quote from Stormypagan

*Put a brick or a water filled plastic bottle in the loo system too cut down the amount of water used, or don't flush as often!!

That's one I've heard before, but never tried ... does it go in the square top bit?

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Switch off electrical equipment when not in use, instead of putting them on 'standby'. Apparently, in the UK, we waste around the equivalent of two power stations' worth of electricity each year because of using the standby button.

According to this article on the BBC:

the entire population of Glasgow could fly to New York and back again and the resulting emissions would still be less than that from devices left in sleep mode

• Quote from ms-violet

Switch off electrical equipment when not in use, instead of putting them on 'standby'. Apparently, in the UK, we waste around the equivalent of two power stations' worth of electricity each year because of using the standby button.

Yes, I have heard that too!!

Also turn off unwanted lights... blooming eck getting our kids to do this is a feat in its self.. but they are getting there!!

• Quote from ms-violet

Switch off electrical equipment when not in use, instead of putting them on 'standby'. Apparently, in the UK, we waste around the equivalent of two power stations' worth of electricity each year because of using the standby button.

If we all used just three energy light saving lightbulbs in each house we would save the energy of another three power stations! The daft thing is, if the government payed for these for each house it would actually be better off after just nine months due to subsidies provided and the amount of energy we import! :insane:

• Quote from crap muppet

If we all used just three energy light saving lightbulbs in each house we would save the energy of another three power stations! The daft thing is, if the government payed for these for each house it would actually be better off after just nine months due to subsidies provided and the amount of energy we import! :insane:

Gahh, it's all madness! :insane:

• Quote from Stormypagan

Yes, where the ball cock thingy is!!

Thanks Stormy, I'll go do that tonight :D

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Quote from Stormypagan

Yes, I have heard that too!!

Also turn off unwanted lights... blooming eck getting our kids to do this is a feat in its self.. but they are getting there!!

Same with mine, the threat of the next electricity bill being his to deal with seems to be doing the trick though :whistle:

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Quote from crap muppet

We have energy saving light bulbs in nearly all our rooms, and if we don't it is because the light fitting wont take one!! We have 9 large rooms in our house and two hall ways, plus several table lamps ... that is a lot of lights, so using energy saving light bulbs help the environment and our lecky bills... You can get energy saving light bulbs much cheaper now than they used to be, and they last years and years, from places like wilkos etc..

• Quote from Firinne

Same with mine, the threat of the next electricity bill being his to deal with seems to be doing the trick though :whistle:

#

Yeah, I know... we now threaten money off pocket money each week, if they leave bedroom lights on etc.. ... that seems to do the trick.. cruel to be kind to the environment huh!! hehehe

• Quote from Stormypagan

Yeah, I know... we now threaten money off pocket money each week, if they leave bedroom lights on etc.. ... that seems to do the trick.. cruel to be kind to the environment huh!! hehehe

Yup, that's what I'm starting to do - drives me crazy when I find the lights and telly on in his room, the bathroom light on and him sitting in the living room oblivious!

Jiddu Krishnamurti

Originally Posted by ms-violet

Just been looking around on the internet and discovered this

Power Safer Power Saving Single Adaptor

http://www.iguanadirect.co.uk/…=10528&productAreaCode=10

does anyone know anything about these, if they are useful or pointless??

I want to walk up the side of the mountain
    I want to walk down the other side of the mountain,
    I want to swim thru the river and lie in the sun,
    I want to try and be nice to everyone.

• It doesn't explain how it works but from what I can see it switches off remote controlled devices at the mains when your finished with them until it detects another signal. In reality the majority of modern devices with remote controls use a second mini transformer to power the remote detection circuitry these days anyway so the saving isn't really going to be that fantastic as this thing will use power itself!

If you switch off the TV normally anyway then its wastes energy!!! The multiway one is probably if you are lazy and normally just put things on standby.

The blurb was a bit ridiculous claiming that TV's etc use 70% of the elecy that they do when they are on when they are on standby - makes it seem like snake oil with exagerations like that :mad:

• Quote from Beyond-the-Clouds

Don't poop.

....or, use your poop for composting or as fuel! :eek:

when we went to Ramsey Island we were ask to use the toilet before we left as they could use our 'donations' for their benefit! I know tis not really feasible for the general public, but it is interesting.

I use 'washable menstrual pads' which makes a rather siginificant dent in the amount I chuck out each month - and the water that you soak em in is good for plants.

I should probably be able to think of more...hmmm....i'll make a list and post again later...
    :wiggle:

• On the same note as not putting stuff on standby, turn your PCs off at night. Some people keep them on all night downloading stuff...

On the topic of PCs, does anyone know if it takes more power to run a laptop with the battery in or out?

• put a brick (if it fits ..) or some pebbles of rocks or whatever you think looks best .. into the water tank bit at top of toilet ... reduces volume of water once it fill back up .. and makes less water use and waste :)
    real simple one ...

xx