Local elections

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Anyone gonna vote? As usual I'm rather apathetic about it all. Only one of the four parties that stand round here have even bothered to post us a flyer saying what their current policies are, and I'm not too keen on them. It's the lib dems, who I kind of like, but round here they are talking about blocking off all the guinnels and making these "gated" communities. And making me have to walk an extra 20 minutes to get to the local shops...:rolleyes:

I expect it will be a "none of the above" from me again.

• Its really doing my head in :frust:

All these fkin flyers coming through the door with glamouros pictures of local ppl who i've known all my life....
    all asking,pleading...vote for me,i'll make the changes.
    Yea right.
    C'mon on then less talk,lets see some action.

• Quote from Atomik

I always vote against the Tories, coz it makes me feel happy. :D

ditto! I live in a Tory stronghold and no other party stands a chance. It's still worth voting against the bastards though.

• Quote from Atomik

I always vote against the Tories, coz it makes me feel happy. :D

Agreed, but which particular tories will you be voting against. David Cameron's lot or Gordon Brown's? At least Cameron's mob are relatively honest about hating poor people, Brown's lot bleat about the poor whilst quietly help the rich to get richer and fuck all the rest. Dilemna slightly solved, I could never vote for anyone who admitted to being a tory and brown's lot can go to hell coz they'far too right wing so I'll have to find someone else.

• Quote from Atomik

The fox-hunting, upper-class toff ones. ;)

Well obviously. So will I of course, I just feel so let down. I mean I expect the tories to be bastards, somehow it's more disappointing for labour to be tories as well, and to drive two jags and put more private money into our national economy than even the tories would have dared...Not to mention ahem...wars of convenience that make the falklands pale into insignificance. Utter shits the lot of them.

• I shall vote libdem as I always do for our local elections - keep the tories out.

I didn't realise it was voting today 'til about an hour ago... I have not heard one single person mention it.

• Quote from princesstigermouse

I didn't realise it was voting today 'til about an hour ago... I have not heard one single person mention it.

This is what I was getting at when I said I'd hardly had any leaflets. There's been very little on the news and very little local campaigning. Even the politicians sem to be apathetic.
    However, I've just found these people who seem to share many of the values I'd like to see in government, so I might vote for them. There's little ads up all over my local area for them, but I don't know if they exist outside of Leeds.

• I went and voted... was quite alarmed that I just walked in, said my name and they gave me a ballot paper. I said "Don't you want me to prove who I am?" and they replied "Ah, we don't worry about that - we trust that you are who you say you are" :eek:

I went and voted... was quite alarmed that I just walked in, said my name and they gave me a ballot paper. I said "Don't you want me to prove who I am?" and they replied "Ah, we don't worry about that - we trust that you are who you say you are" :eek:

First time voter, huh? :D

Nope, but it's the first time I voted in this constituency - I always had to at least vaguely prove who I was before.

Really? I've voted whenever eligibile in various parts of the country for the past 20 years, and I've never had to prove who I am.

• Quote from Atomik

Really? I've voted whenever eligibile in various parts of the country for the past 20 years, and I've never had to prove who I am.

:eek: scary. I used to be in the St Cross constituency, and if you didn't have a polling card you had to take proof of address.

• Quote from Atomik

That's very unusual. Most polling stations won't even require your polling card.

Well, apparently not! That was the thing, I couldn't find my polling card so I went along with proof of ID... and they only wanted my name! I could have said anyone! I assumed every polling station would be the same as St Cross - you know, with the making sure you're registered to vote, not stealing someone else's vote... that sort of thing.

• Quote from Atomik

That's very unusual. Most polling stations won't even require your polling card.

I think a lot depends on just how officious the duty official is feeling. My mother was once turned away for not bringing her polling card, but returned later and saw a different bod and had no problem.

• there was an election?

how did i miss this?

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Quote from Atomik

Wait till the imminent day when the UK turns into "Police State UK" and you have to present ID cards to vote...

• Quote from yoursinuk

maybe they only ask the dodgy looking ones for i.d.?:reddevil: :wave: :happydanc :surrender

That can't be right...

Quote from Atomik

• Boris Johnson is officially Mayor of London.

I voted for him personally. It is the first time that my vote made a difference. I have had rejection from another forum. Well a few people just can't accept I voted for someone contrary to their personal choice. I guess you can't win sometimes. I know Boris Johnson isn't for everyone. But here this:

I have just checked out the Mayor website and it is looking like he is someone who could silence his critics given time. Boris has recently appointed Ray Lewis as Mayor for young people. This guy has many years of experience and could ultimately be the first step toward cutting youth crime in London. If you give young people ambition and an opportunity to change their lives for the better. "Literally taking them off the wrong path". This may turn youths away from gangs. I understand that some may have voted Ken or Brian Paddick.

I didn't vote for Ken because Ken's London is a dangerous place and an expensive one. Brian paddick just had his head so far up his behind that he couldn't breathe, let alone run the City of London.

• There is no point in being angry about your local councillers if you are too apathetic to go out and vote for anyone else.

People from alternative parties can't really make any difference unless they are voted in.

I ran for the Green Party in my local area and only got 5% of the vote, I'm astonished by the amount of people angry that we have our local government run by tories but they are too apathetic to vote against them.The worst thing is the BNP are using general voter apathy to gain seats.

Things won't change unless people use their right to vote.

:(