Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• i have no answers, you have no answers, its one of lifes little mysteries.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• ive always believed that theyre paranormal shizniz :) got a great photo of when i was in iceland, there was this huge crater (cant remember how it was formed) and in every photo of it,from mine and others cameras,theres all these funky little orbs...seems very magical!

• we had that happen once, my little bro found the photo and said it was god in it, coz it was like a tall light shape, but it wasx just having mank on the lense then, oh well, i thouhgt it looked cool whatever it was.

• Quote from stardust

immediately after we closed the circle, my mate went to take a photo of the full moon on his phone. looking through the phone you could see an orb of really bright light floating away from the circle towards the moon. when you took the phone away you couldn't see it.

camera phones and digi cameras pick up infa red light which the human eyes cannot see, have no explanation for the orb or doubt of what you saw but that could be why it was visable on the phone and not to the naked eye?

only 'orbs' ive ever picked up was through using the flash in dark dusty enviroments

• Just seen this one...I have several photographs I took at Bletchly Park recently and I was showing them off at work when one of the girls pointed excitedly at a picture of the stairs in the manor house and said "fucking hell - orbs!"
    And she was right - none of the other photos had anything like it on them.
    So you keep on believing Stardust 'cos dad's right behind you on this one.

• I think there is alot of truth to them ...strange how they only started appearing with the age of digital photography
    and they are energy after all ... the energy disrupting the digital photo... they were never really seen on old 35mm proper film

i have lots of pics with them in
    useuall in old woods and graveyards..but the pics i took at a gig in brighton nearly every pic had orbs in ...bizzae as it was my dead nephews fave band :eek:

• Quote from Mr Sam

camera phones and digi cameras pick up infa red light which the human eyes cannot see, have no explanation for the orb or doubt of what you saw but that could be why it was visable on the phone and not to the naked eye?

only 'orbs' ive ever picked up was through using the flash in dark dusty enviroments

Was about to say this when atomik mentioned the human eye being more responsive - that may be but as has been said, it doesn't pick up the full spectrum whereas cameras actually need filters to block it out.

• Quote from Crackdown

Was about to say this when atomik mentioned the human eye being more responsive - that may be but as has been said, it doesn't pick up the full spectrum whereas cameras actually need filters to block it out.

Digital sensors do indeed employ filters to avoid capturing the infrared spectrum. However, there are plenty of people out there using modified cameras and/or IR filters, taking infrared photographs. There are no mass reports of them photographing the spirit world. Or even orbs.

• Quote from Dichotomy

... the energy disrupting the digital photo...

The problem with this kind of statement is that it doesn't actually mean anything. Precisely what circuitry are you suggesting is interfered with? What is the mechanism for this interference? How does this produce the end result of orbs?

• Quote from Atomik

The problem with this kind of statement is that it doesn't actually mean anything. Precisely what circuitry are you suggesting is interfered with? What is the mechanism for this interference? How does this produce the end result of orbs?

well the site quoted on how orbs are made is nothing like an orb I have seen on any pic or film I have taken
    the orbs I see are 3 dimensional spherical if you like

the only explaination is can give is they are a light spectrum the eye can't see but the camera can ....

apart from that its just down to an unexplainable phenomina which science will sort out one day :)

• Quote from Atomik

Digital sensors do indeed employ filters to avoid capturing the infrared spectrum. However, there are plenty of people out there using modified cameras and/or IR filters, taking infrared photographs. There are no mass reports of them photographing the spirit world. Or even orbs.

I agree somewhat, though if you point that camera upwards to the sky instead there has been a massive increase of UFOs captured on film using IR that are undetectable to the naked eye. Quick t'internet search will confirm this too.

• Quote from Crackdown

I agree somewhat, though if you point that camera upwards to the sky instead there has been a massive increase of UFOs captured on film using IR that are undetectable to the naked eye. Quick t'internet search will confirm this too.

If you're talking about film using IR, that's an entirely different matter though.

• Quote from Atomik

... but there's no such thing. ;)

err i think you will find cameras can distinguis light that the eye cannot distinguish

• Orbs are caused by the close distance between the lens and the flash, this is why they are more common now than in the past 'cos digital cameras are smaller.
    Having said that I have seen a few films of ufo's and "rods" that have been taken using cameras that have been set to night vision during daylight.
    check out this trailer
    [youtube]iLrxwRZ26DA[/youtube]

• Quote from Chegzy

but.... i didnt use a flash and some are hexagonal and some are complete spheres

sorry im getting carried away with myself :p

dust dust dust

If you see something hexagonal it's probably lens flare, what you are seeing is light from something bright reflected between different internal elements of the lens, the hexagonal shape comes from the aperture/iris which, depending on the camera, forms a hexagonal or other geometric shape when it closes. Never seen an 'orb' photograph which wasn't very obviously either dust on the lens, dust floating in the air caught in a flash or lens flare... Sorry if all this has been said before.

A clear example of hexagonal lens flare and reflections between internal lens elements: