Value, Basics and Smart Price Foods

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• i dunno if there is any evidence to support that cos the only evidence i ave ever seen bout budget versus brand was to suggest that budget ranges are better for you in terms of use of proper ingredients over synthetic flavour enhancers and lower in sugar and salt than many branded items...alot of the cost to the shopper of a particular brand is in the name promotion and packaging

• Quote from Sarah

i dunno if there is any evidence to support that cos the only evidence i ave ever seen bout budget versus brand was to suggest that budget ranges are better for you in terms of use of proper ingredients over synthetic flavour enhancers and lower in sugar and salt than many branded items...alot of the cost to the shopper of a particular brand is in the name promotion and packaging

...but they taste different! They really do, you know. I am sure some of them taste just as good, but a lot of the things I have bought from Tesco and Sainsburys value ranges really have not been very nice... so that would suggest the poorer-quality ingredients, or certainly a difference in the ingredients, at the very least.

• you know what that is? flavour enhancers :) depends loads on what you are buying obviously but certainly with savoury foods, jars, tins, packets etc.. the reason it don't taste as "nice" is cos it ain't got flavour enhancers in :) honestly...

• Quote from Sarah

you know what that is? flavour enhancers :) depends loads on what you are buying obviously but certainly with savoury foods, jars, tins, packets etc.. the reason it don't taste as "nice" is cos it ain't got flavour enhancers in :) honestly...

Not the stuff I buy though, because I can't have things like that. I only really buy fresh produce anyway, and tinned stuff - there really is a huge difference in taste between even the normal supermarket range and the value.

• Quote from Atomik

Really does depend on the product. Own-brand coffee, for example, is invariably cheap shite. I doubt there's much difference between your average cornflakes though.

Yeah, the Sainsburys basics tortilla chips are just as good as any others, though none of the other basics stuff I've tried is... have I mentioned in this thread that the basics cheddar and mozzarella cheese doesn't melt??? :vomit: Not that I would buy it anyway, but you know...

• It also depends where you shop.. Asda's and the Co-op's fairtrade own brand instant coffee is really nice :) infact asda seems to be leading the way on providing decent "smart-price" ranges that are tasty and nutritious and don't have all the crap in them that the branded stuff does but then you have to offset that fact against the fact they are part of Wallmart .. tricky stuff...i personally love asda cos it makes my shopping trips shorter than they are in any other supermarket cos i don't have to check all the ingredients - i can now rely on the smart-price ranges to be free from crap that makes me boy ill :)

• I've been looking in my cupboards at the labels and most of the value stuff is free from additives. The only bad one I found was a tin of mushy peas with Tartrazine as a colouring, if my boy had eaten them I'd have been scraping him off the ceiling
    My boy would like to point out that he hates mushy peas and wouldn't have eaten them anyways, kids!

• we get sainsburys value brand kidney beans because the ingredients list is beans and water, all the others have firming agents and other crap in them.
    Grendel

• Quote from Sarah

It also depends where you shop.. Asda's and the Co-op's fairtrade own brand instant coffee is really nice :) infact asda seems to be leading the way on providing decent "smart-price" ranges that are tasty and nutritious and don't have all the crap in them that the branded stuff does but then you have to offset that fact against the fact they are part of Wallmart .. tricky stuff...i personally love asda cos it makes my shopping trips shorter than they are in any other supermarket cos i don't have to check all the ingredients - i can now rely on the smart-price ranges to be free from crap that makes me boy ill :)

I get asda stuff most of the time, I like their cheep soya milk, and peanuts are peanuts weather they are smart price or not, other stuff they do is good too (have you seen their apple crisps? great!)

• Quote from PlutoPete

I've been looking in my cupboards at the labels and most of the value stuff is free from additives. The only bad one I found was a tin of mushy peas with Tartrazine as a colouring, if my boy had eaten them I'd have been scraping him off the ceiling
    My boy would like to point out that he hates mushy peas and wouldn't have eaten them anyways, kids!

Now that's just wrong in so many ways. Tartrazine is orange ffs. Orange peas, yeuch.

• Quote from princesstigermouse

...but they taste different! They really do, you know. I am sure some of them taste just as good, but a lot of the things I have bought from Tesco and Sainsburys value ranges really have not been very nice... so that would suggest the poorer-quality ingredients, or certainly a difference in the ingredients, at the very least.

Is it that they taste differently or is it really because there are no flavour enhancers (like the dreaded MSG) and they taste like they should but we're too conditioned to enhanced food to accept the difference.
    I've given up on tinned stuff as much as I can these days and buy fresh from the market....it's cheaper and tastes better....and more than likely has no air miles.

• Quote from Stardusts Dad

Is it that they taste differently or is it really because there are no flavour enhancers (like the dreaded MSG) and they taste like they should but we're too conditioned to enhanced food to accept the difference.
    I've given

...as I said before, I don't and can't eat anything which contains additives such as flavour enhancers. So none of the non-value food I buy contains such ingredients.