Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• How to get rid of it?

I have a habit of drinking way to much (Not in a pass out way normally, its just that I don't tend to be sober outside of work ever). Part of the reason that I'm bringing it up is that I've noticed that my week day intake has shot up to 5-6 a night over the last month - not sure whether its cos I'm feeling a bit depressed at the moment or the drinking is making me depressed :confused:

Average intake:

4 cans of beer Monday
    3 cans of beer Tuesday
    3 cans of beer Wednesday
    5 cans of beer Thursday
    10+ Friday
    10+ Saturday
    5-6 Sunday

= 40-50 beers a week :eek: . Ouch! Not good reading is it. Done it fer years too.

I do manage to keep the numbers down at weekend if I'm out doing constructive things (Working on my van or similar), but otherwise I'm with my mates who tend to do the Friday eve thru Sunday and collapse binge every weekend without fail.

I get home at about 8 and know I shouldn't drink but I always end up cracking open a can anyway even I know its bad an the way I'm going I'll end up ill in not to many years time.

Its kind of ended up being part of my every day life (In the way some people find it hardest not to have a cig after a meal when they are giving up smoking) and doesn't affect my work (Part time alcoholic see - like your herion addict London bankers)

What sort of suggestions have you got (Sensible or not) that I could try?

• It depends how determined you are to change. In simple steps here's what I'd recommend:

• Detox - rid your body of all the alcohol in it's system. Drink lots of water and fruit juices plus start making smoothies to keep your mind occupied. The vitamins from the smoothies will help you with any depression.
    • Go for a walk in the evening. Work your body and notice how much more you can do as each day passes - also good for working out the toxins.
    • Save the money you'd spend on beer and use it for something special (I don't mean more beer!!!)
    • Stop hanging out with beer drinkers so much. One of the problems for addicts of any substance is the social circle that's involved. You could kick a drug alone but put yourself back with others who still use and you're at square one. Start suggesting other stuff like cinema or theatre!

I'm sure that probably comes across as patronising and boring but it's all I can come up with for now. It's really got to be something you want to do for yourself and somehow you have to find that inner strength to do it.

Lecture over :mrgreen:

• i dont think the word alcoholic is right for you, i think you have a habit like smoking like a routine. i suggest doing the things other people on here have suggested im gonna do a few of them before i need a liver transplant!!!

• If you didn't have any beer in the house when you got home would you go out and get it? I usually can't because there's no one here to look after the little one, so once I catch myself hitting more than a glass of red a night I just leave it off the shopping list and settle for a cuppa. Usually does the trick :)

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Quote from StarFly

Enrol at a class at night school - motor mechanics or something.

working on finding a welding class! - problem is I only have between 8-12 in the evenings which has tro include the eating/cleaning etc. - otherwise I would do painting to keep me occupied, but that doesn't work unless I've got a solid 4 hours to get into it.

If I got rid of the job and got a 9-5 I wonder what would happen? - less cash to spend on booze, more time to do stuff creative but also more time to drink :drunk:

• Quote from Firinne

If you didn't have any beer in the house when you got home would you go out and get it? I usually can't because there's no one here to look after the little one, so once I catch myself hitting more than a glass of red a night I just leave it off the shopping list and settle for a cuppa. Usually does the trick :)

Unfortunately I am surrounder by corner shops - I normally walk past four on the way home...

I'm starting to realise that it really has become a way of life as I sit here replying. I think that is what the main hurdle is going to be to overcome - that and the fact that I do really enjoy being tipsy after a long day at work :)

• Quote from Earth Whirler

Detox - rid your body of all the alcohol in it's system. Drink lots of water and fruit juices plus start making smoothies to keep your mind occupied. The vitamins from the smoothies will help you with any depression.

that would work - spend some money that you would spend on alcohol on buying a liquidizer and fresh fruit - in the same way you are surrounded by alcohol selling corner shops - alot of them also sell a wonderful array of fruit and veg ... you gotta want to do it though hun!! And you are gonna have to endure and grow a thick skin to the ribbing you're gonna get - but FUCK'EM - they only will do it until they see you're serious and then they will find sommat else to rip the piss out of. I know this to be true - I give up alcohol when I was 20 for 6 months because I (like you) was drinking habitually and to excess. Me mates soon got bored because I was so fucking stubborn that they really couldn't touch me :madlol:

Go for a walk in the evening. Work your body and notice how much more you can do as each day passes - also good for working out the toxins.

fantastic idea - you are lucky enough to live spitting distance from an expansive area of greenery right in the middle of the city. Might I suggest you start exploring this expanse when you are not pissed? Possibly treat yourself to a set or roller skates or even a pushbike ? Its beautiful as you very well know - a push bike you can start going along the miles and miles of cycle ways in Manchesters green avenues... you can cycle to north manchester, bolton even ? Treat yaself to a pint when you have cycled 10 miles - you know you gotta get home again so you aint gonna cane it. If ya do then you gonna be a "threat" on trains til you are dying of liver failure.

Save the money you'd spend on beer and use it for something special (I don't mean more beer!!!)

Yeah like a liquidizer or a pushbike or save for a swanky sound system for your horsebox - why not buy one four pack instead of two and put the money for the other one in a jar :) I know you sometimes buy bottles of cider so the same applies - only buy half what you normally would and put the money you haven't spent in a jar ;) The treat yourself :D

Stop hanging out with beer drinkers so much. One of the problems for addicts of any substance is the social circle that's involved. You could kick a drug alone but put yourself back with others who still use and you're at square one. Start suggesting other stuff like cinema or theatre!

and thats the one that ain't gonna work. I mean theatre and cinema type suggestions to the rest of the gang - blimey I can see the royal amount of piss taking right now. In theory its a great idea, in practice its not gonna happen... however... when you have been working on your van with mojo you aint been drinking so much ave ya? Why not tell dougle and everyone that you is only going to go out for a drink with them when you have done something for yourself like an hours work on your van? The more and more they see you taking this seriously then the less and less pressure they are gonna put on you to conform to the binge at the weekend. They might even see how well you are doing and start helping you a bit more. ALso promise yourself that you will do something for you that doesn't involve the rest of the gang at least twice a month... Manchester has got some amazing art galleries ? when was the last time you visited one of the art galleries ? OK you ain't got time to sit and get yaself in an artistic frame of mind so why not spend an hour and go look at someone elses artistic frames of minds... insipriational? I thinkso!

I'm sure that probably comes across as patronising and boring but it's all I can come up with for now. It's really got to be something you want to do for yourself and somehow you have to find that inner strength to do it.

Not at all Earthwhirler... I am gonna speak out here because I have known Andy for quite a while and all you have done is put into words very excellently some very real suggestions for how he can break this cycle... not patronising at all!!! The second part of that sentence says it all... and that is gonna be the hardest part of all of this Andy! I hope you don't mind me quoting your words and backing them up with some suggestions Sam - I have only done this to kind of underline the obvious for Andy - what you have said is exactley the easy things he could do to take steps not to become an Alcoholic.

• Cheers guys. I'll let you know how I get on (Hopefully you wont watch me crash and burn) - on the bonus side, I'll cut down on my rollies as well if I stop drinkin so much...

Last time I tried it was quite interesting - I couldn't sleep - I'd be wide awake at 2 in the morning, my brain running at 100 miles an hour, just don't think it was used to not being made artificially drowsy :whack: .

• Quote from StarFly

I am gonna speak out here because I have known Andy for quite a while and all you have done is put into words very excellently some very real suggestions for how he can break this cycle... not patronising at all!!! The second part of that sentence says it all... and that is gonna be the hardest part of all of this Andy! I hope you don't mind me quoting your words and backing them up with some suggestions Sam - I have only done this to kind of underline the obvious for Andy - what you have said is exactley the easy things he could do to take steps not to become an Alcoholic.

Hey that's cool Sarah - someone's backed me up!!! :broc: It's good especially as I don't know him you've put the points into something of a reality rather than something in a self-help book ;)
    It's always easier to offer advice than it is to take it which is why I didn't want to come across as up my arse (I'd never fit!)
    The other thing Andy is that if you carry on drinking as much as you do, the weight will just keep piling on - so many calories in beer! And all that sugar.......plus it depletes the body of nutrients which again won't help with you feeling down.
    The sleeping issue will probably sort itself out, you just have to persevere, even people giving up caffeine have to go through that - but if you start doing 20-30 mins of exercise you'll physically tire out your body and eventually you'll just start sleeping.

• Why are you drinking so much in the first place ?.
    Friday-Sunday..ok thats the weekend so 'acceptable'.
    Why are you drinking so much during the week ?
    I was like you, i drank that amount ..it bacame a horribly vicious cycle.
    It sounds like you are functioning alchoholic.. able to maintain a life , but dependant [to a degree] on beer.

How to stop:

Don't...just drink a less percentage [alchohol] beer [you don't say what you drink ?].

If your drinking 'whatever'.. make sure you drink one thing that is relatively low , but not low enough so you end up drinking more.

Then just cut back, maybe drink something that you can tolerate..but don'y really enjoy...in the end you may think 'why am i drinking this shit'.. when drinking no longer becomes afun activity, you may learn to re-evaluate why your drinking in the first place..

The key thing is imho..think about WHY your drinking ...HONESTLY.. not 'meh its fun'.. nobody drinks that amount on a regular basis for fun..

I ended up using the net more.. it kept me occupied.. got a g/f and just 'went mad at the weekends'...

If you are just having fun, have a g/f and do 'stuff'.. and STILL drink that amount.. then your gonna have to wait till it effects your life more i am afraid.

• If only life was that easy eh?

Muppet, I am just ike you, been drinking everyday (save about 2 weeks) for the past 3 or so years, was about 8 cans a day during the week for the first 2 years, gradually started drinking less... then about 5 weeks ago, my kidneys kinda died.. was fine for a couple of weeks after, just drinking water and what not.. then i remeberd why i started drinking in the first place... insomnia, and now the vicious circle of drinking is continuing once more.. just love the drink.. i'd love to be able to offer you a permanet solution.. but the best i can do at the minute is tell you this...

rather than not buying beer and saying your not going to drink.. i find it's helpful to buy the beer and not drink it.. sounds odd i know, but for some reason once i have it, the need to get it is gone.. so your halfway there already, all you need after that is will power to stop yourself from picking up the can.. or just having one beer quite slowly over the course of the night.. or even replace it with one glass of red wine (which is healthier for you somehow)...

think that's about it :mrgreen: good luck an all!

• Quote from Crimbo Timbo

If only life was that easy eh?

good luck an all!

It can be.. but not for everybody.. meh !!!! just tryin to add som beer addled advice.. :broc:

• Why so much? I don't really know - it just started whilst I was at Uni and became something that I did every day without fail.

I don't really get drunk on it during the week - a bit tipsy maybe but thats it.

Functioning Alcoholic? Sounds about right...

Its the cutting back that I'm struggling to do - I haven't got anything to keep me occupied in the evenings really...

Its part of what I have to sort out - I think it will be easier to have nights off booze if I have something constructive to do. Internet/TV won't work though - I normally drink when I'm using those.

Bit of a fucker is that I know I need to do it for my health but I don't see how it will make any big difference to my life otherwise. A few more good reasons would be good! :insane:

• After coming off the road I spent a long time in and out of rehab. Tried everything to give up the drink and drugs but nothing seemed to work. Always substituted one for the other.

I got custody of my kids in 2000. I now drink to get drunk when I feel like it i.e. when I'm going out with mates and I don't have the kids. Pretty much like most other people.

I think what I'm trying to say is when I didn't have much of a purpose in life I acted in a seriously self-destructive way and lived with people going through the same. Once that changed so did the drink/drug abuse.

Out of 20 of us who ended up in Norfolk there are only five of us left alive. Very very sad.

People will always say, nah you can't be an alcoholic you don't drink enough. Be warned! Whether you are a fully functioning member of society and only drink at home or someone living under a bridge drinking meths, the disease is the same. (If you think drinking is effecting you, no matter how much or how little you drink, then it probably is.)

Thats my tuppence worth.