No buy no plastic

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Ive given up buying plastic, of any sort....im still smoking, but ther is a tobaccanist, who is happy to fill me pouch, without buying anymore packs...iv also found a wee grocers...:D that will gimme veg, without using all those crappy plastic baggy things. I feel better for it, and dont have to empty me bin, ther is nothing in it.....:woohoo:

Ghost:patch:

• See, I absolutely hate plastic. A while back I was look into hormone imbalance and was reading about xenoestrogens leaking from plastics and into our bodies. After that I was aware of how nearly everything we use involves plastic in some kind of way. Things like shampoo, food containers, clingfilm, trainers, some food items etc. After recyling what I can, my rubbish bin is filled with nothing else but packaging, and I use my local market and local healthfood shop. I do the best I can put it's pretty much unavoidable.

• Quote from Earth Whirler

See, I absolutely hate plastic. After recyling what I can, my rubbish bin is filled with nothing else but packaging, I use my local market and local healthfood shop. I do the best I can put it's pretty much unavoidable.

I agree with you to a point, im not saying its easy, but iv just given up buying certian products..or...simply buying all my products without the plastic. Yes, almost {everything} we use has a strange association with plastic. Iv had screraming arguments in my local {un} superstore, when they wouldnt let me leave without a plastic bag WTF?? !!

• I will live without almost any plastic one day to, no matter how many luxuries I have to give up, it'll be done

as someone posted earlier the balance has never existed
    the planet is always changing and always has been things come and go depending on the way the planet feels

:eek:

We haven't even had plastic that long and we're completely dependant on it. I'd love to see what this world would be like without it :hippy: alot cleaner I imagine...

• Quote from cromlixghost

Iv had screraming arguments in my local {un} superstore, when they wouldnt let me leave without a plastic bag WTF?? !!

That's ridiculous! Which superstore was it?

Me and my boyfriend were discussing the other day how cashiers rarely automatically give/offer plastic bags to male customers, but always seem to assume that female customers want them! Very odd indeed.

I reckon Aldi have the right idea by charging people a few pence for a carrier bag. At least that way it will discourage people from using them when they really don't need to.

• whre i work in the local bakery im always saying "would you like a bag" and its horrible, but we have to. :mad:

• Mounds of plastic bags will be our gift to future civilisations, much like the great pyramids of Egypt except it will say ASDA and Tesco on the sides.

It would be nice if schools and hopitals had all the money they needed and the army had to hold jumble sales to buy guns...

• It's impossible to live without plastic unless you drop out and live up the side of a mountain somewhere. You can avoid it, but you'll never be entirely free of its clutches. I've walked out of supermarkets recently on the basis that I can't bring myself to purchase an individually plastic-wrapped vegetable.

It's impossible to live without plastic unless you drop out and live up the side of a mountain somewhere.

Sounds like a plan :harhar:

I'd like to get most things from farm shops and if need be in alternative packed stuff (oh thank the internet)

• i bought a cd and they put it in a bag and i said oh i dont want one and they said oh we have to, which is bollocks cos the rest of the time they never make you have one there. an yeh it seems impossible to buy anything that doesnt involve plastic

• i bought a cd and they put it in a bag and i said oh i dont want one and they said oh we have to, which is bollocks cos the rest of the time they never make you have one there. an yeh it seems impossible to buy anything that doesnt involve plastic

If it happens again, might I suggest that, unless it's a very rare CD, you ask for your money back on it immediately? That'll teach 'em?

I like to recycle my (unavoidable?) plastic bags and am amused at the thought that I can annoy the management when I walk out of a store with my goods in a bag which is advertising another store.

• I've had the same row in Sainsburys over their habit of wrapping chilled products in individual bags, it's really annoying and I won't shop anywhere that won't respect my right to package my shopping any way I please.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Never had a problem myself. Nobody's ever forced me to take a bag after expressing my preference. Maybe it's the way I look at 'em. I am a fairly antagonistic shopper - especially where supermarkets are concerned. I've been know to abandon a full trolly in the middle of an aisle after getting pissed off over empty shelves. Then there was the amusing time that I was waiting for five mins at the empty customer service desk and decided to utilise their unattended public announcement system. The security guard was priceless.

"Oi, don't do that again!"
    "Why? What you gonna do about it?"
    "......ummm.... just don't do it again!"

• Woo hoo,:music:im barred barred..form tesco's i am barred:music: ...:lol: All for the sake of a plastic bag...:whistle: :rolleyes: Found out an interesting fact, Tesco is a acroynim..it {seemingly} stands for

The Essential Shopping Co Scary huh!!??!!

Oh well, its no loss to me.....they're crap anyway.

• Quote from cromlixghost

Found out an interesting fact, Tesco is a acroynim..it {seemingly} stands for

The Essential Shopping Co

Ahem.

Tesco was founded by Jack Cohen, who sold groceries in the markets of the London East End from 1919. The Tesco brand first appeared in 1924. After Jack Cohen bought a large shipment of tea from T.E. Stockwell, he made new labels by using the first three letters of the supplier's name and the first two letters of his surname forming the word "TESCO". This information was verified by the TESCO press relations on BBC Radio in the South on December 10th. In the late 1990s, the typeface of the logo was changed to the current one shown on the top of the page with stripe reflections underneath the typefaces as Tesco used them on their carrier bags.

• Quote from Doktor Atomik

Never had a problem myself. Nobody's ever forced me to take a bag after expressing my preference. Maybe it's the way I look at 'em. I am a fairly antagonistic shopper - especially where supermarkets are concerned. I've been know to abandon a full trolly in the middle of an aisle after getting pissed off over empty shelves. Then there was the amusing time that I was waiting for five mins at the empty customer service desk and decided to utilise their unattended public announcement system. The security guard was priceless.

"Oi, don't do that again!"
    "Why? What you gonna do about it?"
    "......ummm.... just don't do it again!"

I usually have to argue for a couple of minutes first, and when I'm in a rush to get home and get dinner ready it annoys me so much that if it's a regular occurrence I send a snippy email and switch supermarkets.

What did you say on the tannoy Dok? :reddevil:

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Quote from Doktor Atomik

Something along the lines of "there's a bored customer who's like some attention at the laughably named 'customer service' desk". :whistle:

LOL! Nice one! :thumbup:

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• I worked on the boycott tesco greenpeace campaign some years ago & havent gone over there threshold since...I only shop in sainsburys if im poorly or my bus is needing work, when im well I cycle to town & shop in the market, London Rd & lanes....& drive to falmer farm for my fruit & veg...

Waitrose can be my downfall!I usually take cloth bag n rucksack...hate it when im random & come home with placcy bags, i never know what with them, now when I remember I take them into pulse or infinity...

• i agree with dok, you cannot avoid plastics in this day and age, but i don't think they're sucha big enemy of the eco system. plastics have some very useful properties. now while a *lot* of plastics are wasted (like some shopping bags) we can usually avoid these. For example getting a 'bag for life' means you're not getting several plastics bags each time you go shopping. this usually gets round the problem of stores not letting you leave without a bag becuase you'll have one of *their* bags. Having siad that shops are getting better because most shopping bags are biodegradeable these days.