Chocolate addiction??

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• So, I was watching channel four this morning. For those who don't know/don't watch TV, they have little 5 minute films every so often - many of which are really very good.

Well today, there was one entitled "My last chocolate". It was a man sitting in a dark room, with a table in front of him scettered with chocolates. he then gave a monologue - with considerable gravitas - about his chocolate addiction. He said things like: "If you go to your doctor with an alcohol or drug addiction they will help you. If you're addicted to chocolate, no one cares."

I just laughed. I mean, surely chocolate addiction is nothing like a drug or alcohol addiction!

Is it?

• I call chocolate an addiction! While i was going through my shit with my ex-husbow i felt and, i would probably eat at least 2 bars a day if not more. It was the ONLY thing which made a difference to how i felt and made me feel better. I suppose in a way, when someone has a drug or alcohol addiction, they need it to make them feel 'human' and better, i felt the same with chocolate! It was a physical addiction for me, if i didnt eat chocolate, i would get shaky and feel light headed, which was obviously my sugar levels going sooo high when eating chocolate and then majorly dropping when i hadn't eaten any. It is terrible. Thankfully, I met julian and im cured!!!

• Quote from hippyvic

I call chocolate an addiction! While i was going through my shit with my ex-husbow i felt and, i would probably eat at least 2 bars a day if not more. It was the ONLY thing which made a difference to how i felt and made me feel better. I suppose in a way, when someone has a drug or alcohol addiction, they need it to make them feel 'human' and better, i felt the same with chocolate! It was a physical addiction for me, if i didnt eat chocolate, i would get shaky and feel light headed, which was obviously my sugar levels going sooo high when eating chocolate and then majorly dropping when i hadn't eaten any. It is terrible. Thankfully, I met julian and im cured!!!

Agreed. Any addiction is a bad. Even though it may not seem as bad as drugs/alcohol etc, how it affects the receptors in the brain, not to mention mood swings and the obvious eating disorders, i believe that it IS an addiction. I also agree, with him, about his doctor not believing him, or willing to help him, its seen as a jocular addiction.

If as i hope he is trying to wean himself off chocolate, then it can be all good.

"Going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. You know you're going to get it, but it's going to be rough."

• Quote from Lister D

Agreed. Any addiction is a bad. Even though it may not seem as bad as drugs/alcohol etc, how it affects the receptors in the brain, not to mention mood swings and the obvious eating disorders, i believe that it IS an addiction. I also agree, with him, about his doctor not believing him, or willing to help him, its seen as a jocular addiction.

If as i hope he is trying to wean himself off chocolate, then it can be all good.

Doctors don't want to help you, i tried, but they think its a joke!

• Quote from hippyvic

Doctors don't want to help you, i tried, but they think its a joke!

Ye, i've heard that many times. I've not ever been a choco addict, so i don't know how it feels, but why help for one, and not the other???

"Going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. You know you're going to get it, but it's going to be rough."

While i was going through my shit with my ex-husbow i felt and, i would probably eat at least 2 or 3 bars a day if not more.

Oh come on youre havin a laugh aren't you? I eat two bars of chocolate a day just to pass the time between meals.

I would call it an addiction if someone were on about 15 or 20 bars a day and if you didnt have chocolate you could only think about getting chocolate.

I sometimes eat 4 or 5 bars in a day if I am doing physical work and even when I am not I will eat maybe one or two - sometimes i go a few days without a bar. I cant take the idea of chocolate addiction seriously I mean the bloke on Ch4 is just some greedy fat bloke who cant curb his eating habit isnt it ?

• Id say sugar is the addicvtion. you give up sugar and see what you crave... for me it was potatoes and pasty (ahem STARCH which is SUGAR) but i gave up ALL sugar, like fruits, starches, most carbs, cane sugar, all sugar replacing sweeteners (except xylotol which doesnt feed yeast) and i can promise you it is an addiction... i fell back on the wagon after 2 and a half weeks. which was better than i expected.. and im paying for it now... mood swings, paranoia and back to seriously craving sugar.
    Im considering trying a low sugar diet instead of a no sugar one. To be honest i just want to get rid of thrush which is a yeast based infection, and yeast feeds off sugar.

if you gave up sugar you WOULD replace it with another sugar based substitue.

• Quote from hippyvic

I call chocolate an addiction! While i was going through my shit with my ex-husbow i felt and, i would probably eat at least 2 bars a day if not more.

that worries me as 2-3 bars a day was my standard... and if i was feeling down then i might have about 5 or 6.

• Hmm, I don't think my problem was so much whether it was addictive or not, but I did think it was a bit insulting to people addicted to crack, for example, to say "I can't stop eating chocolate and it's just as bad as drug addiction." Because, you know, it can't be really.

Perhaps I am grossly underestimating the potential damage chocolate can do to you and society at large, but... I don't think it's quite in the same league as alcoholism.

• Quote from helicopter

I mean the bloke on Ch4 is just some greedy fat bloke who cant curb his eating habit isnt it ?

Nor do I think it's as simple as that.

hippyvic
    While i was going through my shit with my ex-husbow i felt and, i would probably eat at least 2 or 3 bars a day if not more.

helicopter
    Oh come on youre havin a laugh aren't you? I eat two bars of chocolate a day just to pass the time between meals.

Not a terribly sensitive person, are you, helicopter?

• abit o/t i know but i was addicted to coke a cola for over 10 yrs,
    had to give up last yr due to an underlying health condition the syptoms was hidden by coke, they only found it thru a blood test.
    i struggled getting off it, the dr just laughed at me i was a bitch to live with for a long time, i still crave it like mad and now i drink tea by the gallon.

• You hit the nail right on the head helicopter 'someone who can't curb his eating habit'!! Doesn't that mean its an addiction? Calling someone fat and greedy is just bigoted in my opinion, people are overweight for a variety of reasons, yes i agree some people overeat but there is usually a reason for it, some people are overweight due to health problems etc and just calling them childish names doesn't help the situation, it only makes them feel worse about themselves!

Fleassy, I wouldn't worry, i only thought mine was getting out of hand, your young and healthy im sure, don't worry xxx

• Quote from princesstigermouse

Perhaps I am grossly underestimating the potential damage chocolate can do to you and society at large, but... I don't think it's quite in the same league as alcoholism.

well ok so its not a socialy unacceptable drug.. so having it in public is not effecting society at large. On a personal scale it has a much subtler effect on the body... as does say tobbacco... and even alcohol. For eample if you were to eat a chocolate bar of raw chocolate which contains the pure cacao that coco is made from you would see how much of a drug it actually is. After a night one raw chocolate goodies i am super out going, almost to the arrogance of cocaine sometimes actually, more lively in an alcohol infused similarity and by the end of the night im dehydrated with a subsiquent headache and i wake up the next morning with a hangover belly. .... sound like a drug to you?

for me addiction is addiction, its personal to the person. on one hand someone could be smoking 30 years and give up in a day on the other someone could be smoking for a month and be in sweats and anxiety to give up... the same goes for nearly all drugs. I am addicted to silly things like sucking my thumb... and i have tried to gie it up but its an inherrant habbit. So now you have to look at the habbit forming addictions there are ather than the physical ones. With drugs like crack and coke... if you reove yourself from the circle of life in which this is prevailant then the temptation to do it is removed. how ever it is near impossible to remove yourself from the culture in which sugar or chocolate is prevalent, considering it exists on so many foods.

As for the effect of sugar on the body... i can tell you it has a stronger efect than is normally noticable, only after not having it for a while did i realise to high and buzz i get from eating it...i get spaced out and hyperactive followed by i quick crash and then up on another high again lasting a little longer before a larger crash at a later point. Now if your constantly on a dose of sugar all day (which most people are and it takes 2 weeks to completely leave the system) then the roller coaster of sugar will be kept to a minimum, and the effects will become "normalised" ... like part of you and who you are... i just came to the conclusion i was the kind of person to go through extreme mood swings within minuites... but im not.. its down to my diet. And dont get me wrong im not cured .... in fact i binged yesterday on chocolate and im suffering from it now.. its almost like the only way my body could bring my diet to my attention is to let candida take over and leave me with a red raw yoni every time i forget to balance myself.

Sugar IS a drug in the same way alcohol and tobbcco are drugs. Coco is also a drug in the same way (if you've ever been in a situation where you aeat a lot of raw chocolate you will know this too) And in the same way as alcohol and tobbacco its all fine in moderation and balance.

this is all completely based on my opinion and observatons i must add

Is it the caffeine you're craving then? I believe that is present in chocolate as well.

it must be the caffeine. the health condition they found i had is an underactive thyroid, which isnt working properly, i never had any syptoms of it because the coke a cola was keeping my high lol.

• Quote from lunar munar

it must be the caffeine. the health condition they found i had is an underactive thyroid, which isnt working properly, i never had any syptoms of it because the coke a cola was keeping my high lol.

That makes sense. Plus, that's a very under-diagnosed condition... the symptoms aren't as obvious as with overactive thyroids (froggy eyes!!)

the symptoms aren't as obvious as with overactive thyroids (froggy eyes!!)

lmao v true, those eys can be quite scarry too,

• I think it is an addiction, I dont crave alcohol or drugs but I do crave chocolate. Its the one thing I have to have . I suppose depending on how much you eat , it could be as dangerous as crack if you put loads of weight on.

Not a terribly sensitive person, are you, helicopter?

well not really I suppose not, I think theres something wrong with calling something an addiction if its psychological. That is therefore a subjective degree of want rather than an addiction. Have a look at an alcoholic who actually needs alcohol or their body will disfunction. Its nothing like some guy who likes eating chocolate bars. I cant see that as an addiction because its not like he will crash and burn if he dont have it. On the otherhand alcoholics and heroin addicts will crash and burn if they dont get a fix. Its not the chocolate he is addicted to since there is no component known within chocolate in sufficient quantity to have more than a pleasant feeling on for a few seconds. there is no physical dependence on any chemical in chocolate at least not in the quantities supplied

• I think it *is* an addiction, but addiction can take more than one form. As you said, an alcoholic can reach a stage where his/her body relies upon the alcohol simply to function. They will literally die without it. I agree that isn't going to happen if you are addicted to mars bars. You may feel very sad, anxious, keyed up and sluggish without it... you will probably get headaches. But you won't die.

It wasn't my intention to be insensitive to people with addictions to all kinds of foodstuffs (sugar, cocoa, etc.) but I did think - and still do think - that the man complaining that his addiction was comparable to alcoholism is just silly.

• Surely the definition of addiction must be something like excessive devotion to/reliance on anything to the extent that it's detrimental to normal daily life and to the person's wellbeing. Alcohol for instance is a two part addiction, physical and psychological. It's generally reckoned that it takes 72 hours to flush it and get the body functioning again after heavy use and two weeks to crack the psychological dependance. That doesn't mean you're cured in two weeks, just that the dependance is broken. Other forms of addiction, such as being addicted to religion (by which I mean roughly the compulsion to go to church or whatever three times a day and being obsessed with the "service" rather than the spiritual experience), or gambling don't involve any eating, drinking smoking or injecting anything, so could be considered purely psychological, but they are addictions none the less and potentially just as harmful. Agreed, the desire for a bar of choccy with elevenses is hardly harmful, and if it was habitual you might be pissed off if the vending machine had run out (ours ALWAYS ran out of snickers), but it wouldn't ruin your day. If on the other hand you couldn't face going to a meeting unless you had your fix then you'd be in serious trouble and definitely need help. The problem as I see it is that addictions are all handled differently or not at all whereas they all have commonality. Physical addictions often mask underlying causes and these are rarely dealt with. Presumably because it's easier to call someone a fat bastard or a bloody alkie or a headcase than to realise what's going on. This is also not helped by the symptoms, which can often be behaviour quite appaling to a bystander and even to the addict him/herself, if she they weren't in the grip of it, as well as a reluctance to see it, also caused by the addiction itself. A lot more understanding needed methinks.

• A sugar addiction could indeed lead to serious health issues. I've seen diabetic sugar heads throw their health out the window 'cause they coudln't give up eating sugars all the time.

It's an addiction most everybody has and it fuels one of the biggest, slave driven industries in the world. Sugar, coffee and chocolate - nobody wants to see the dirty side 'cause it would mean they might have to give up something that they can't live without, though perhaps they're in denial of the kind of hold these substances have over our society and the impact on others as well as ourselves.

• Quote from reggaegotsoul

I think it is an addiction, I dont crave alcohol or drugs but I do crave chocolate. Its the one thing I have to have . I suppose depending on how much you eat , it could be as dangerous as crack if you put loads of weight on.

i still don't think it's going to be as dangerous as crack. :eek:

have you seen crackheads?

don't much think anyone addicted to chocolate is going to wander the streets at all hours asking for 20p "to use the phone" just so they can hopefully scrounge up enough to go buy a dairy milk bar.

It's simple. It's a psychological addiction to a non-addictive substance.

And how do you therefore distinguish that from lets say an addiction to bike riding or reading Harry Potter books?
    Suppose I went to a doctor and said "Help me I am suffering from a psychological addiction to collecting garden gnomes". All the same attributes are there, the compulsion to buy gnomes and derive pleasure from them. However this is called a hobby isnt it? What about chefs, they have some kind of compulsion to cook and eat good food. Where does that definition end?

don't much think anyone addicted to chocolate is going to wander the streets at all hours asking for 20p "to use the phone" just so they can hopefully scrounge up enough to go buy a dairy milk bar.

Have you seen the original Milky Bar Kid lately ?

i still don't think it's going to be as dangerous as crack

If you are eating enough chocolate that it is making you morbidly obese and is threatening your life unless you stop, yet you can't, then yeah I would say it is as bad as crack.

Suppose I went to a doctor and said "Help me I am suffering from a psychological addiction to collecting garden gnomes". All the same attributes are there, the compulsion to buy gnomes and derive pleasure from them. However this is called a hobby isnt it

If your collecting garden gnomes was to the point you were spending all of your money on them therefore not being able to pay your rent, were in debt and was making your life very bad, yet you could not stop, I would call that an addiction.

Things don't need to be physically addictive to be psychologically addictive.