to be without shoes....

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Freedom to all feet! That's what I say. To feel the grass between your toes... the seeping mud, the sharpness of the stones and the frosted ground.....

Tis like, being closer to nature or something... and I feel somehow calmer when my tootsies are not all locked up. Plus, they stink less - unless I step in something that I would prefer not to, but I consider it worth the risk. If I want to relax I am prone to walking about in my naked feet in the hills near where I live.

I love it. Anyone share my sentiments?

• I'm totally with you. In my opinion you haven't really climbed a tree until you've done it with naked feet. I always go barefoot when I can. Dogpoo isn't your friend though, trust me.
    Plus I HATE wearing socks, they make me feel sleepy and nauseous.

• apart from work i'm almost always barefoot... but i must confess to wearing wellies in winter when i walk Kobi for mile after mile :whistle: ....the exception is the Broadwater walk... i love every delicious barefoot step whatever the weather... shingle path...soft downy grass...squelchy mud and at the end i get to play around in the shallow water by the bank of the river... by the time i get home i'm walking on air....i love it...:angel:

• Quote from Boy Anachronism

I'm totally with you. In my opinion you haven't really climbed a tree until you've done it with naked feet. I always go barefoot when I can. Dogpoo isn't your friend though, trust me.

Totally! Feels kinda like wearing a strait-jacket on your feet :mad: and they make me fall over on tiled floors. I have about five individual socks to call my own, but that's it.

• Quote from halfwaytothemoon

i love going bear foot, you feel so connected to the earth,my fave is the feel of walking on sand at the beach ..is there anything better???:p ..

roll on the hot weather..its a bit to cold to go bearfoot at the mo:( .

oh yes...mud is much nicer i think..it squelches inbetween your toes and feels divine....:reddevil:

• Earth boots....yup, but iv become a bit sned, in me old age, so only in the warmer weather....but ye...

Round me house, im pretty much barefoot.

Ghost:patch:

• I dont when im in a field or something with grass - but i have had so much glass in my feet that going along a road bare-foot its a good idea lol

i want some wellies with flowers on

I only wear socks if I plan to see fairies or need to to fit in (which is rare). Barefeet? Not if I'm using tools and maybe not the immediate area round my house... I know the stuff that's been lost and eaten by the floor. Apart from those 2 dangers, hell yea!

Ah the freedom!!

• yeah,i like the summer sandal vibe,fresh feet and that!
    i like the idea of barefoot,i'd have to live in a hotter country to get my feet toughened up.i couldn't go out today like it ,frosty toes or what!:flame:

• Yeah I like fresh air round me tootsies but only from spring to autumn - don't like cold feet in winter so am massive fan of big thick socks and big long socks up to me knees that keep me legs warm and stop me gettin cramps in me calf muscles (oh the wonders of gettin old :yawn: ) and absolutely wouldn't be without me boots in winter - cramp of the tootsies is fucking painful :( but bring on spring and flipflops :D

• I also love being barefoot :) and I love walking through mud barefoot (other than the having mud underneath your toe nails part). Being Barefoot makes me feel much more connected to the world and stops me floating off which is my tendency to do. Walking over a pebbled beach barefoot is meant to be very good for you - pushed all your acupressure points. I used to go barefoot all of the time when I was in College it was completely accepted when I turned up at lectures without shoes. It seems much less acceptable now that I work in a preparatory school and so I wear shoes much more.

xx

• Quote from Dibdabs

I used to go barefoot all of the time when I was in College it was completely accepted when I turned up at lectures without shoes.

I tried it once at school -

they were not happy :lol:

• haha..good on ya for trying though:D . I wouldn't have dared turning up at school without shoes on. In school I thought it was important to keep a low profile in order to avoid being bullied.Would rather forget about those days really...
    It was only when I left school and went to college that I started to feel a lot more comfortable about who I was and I wasn't afraid to show it. I popped back into school recently though wearing no shoes in order to pick up some stuff that I'd left there...hahahaha You should have seen the look on their faces. that was fun.

much love xx

• hehe...some people can be really closed minded...

tis great to make em squirm at times...

most students didn't really mind, they just complained cos they have nothing else in their lives....

• hmm i always wear socks when im inside, they keep my feet warm and spikey things hurt less and u can slide around easier. but outside barefeet is nice in the summer, but wearing shoes doesnt exactly bring me down.

• i got told in supervision that i'm on my last warning for not wearing shoes in work for health and saftey reasons. i keep arguing that my boots are a far greater health and safety hazard coz i live on a farm and they're always covered in shit, but it seems they would prefer horrible shitty boots to nice clean barefeet. bit weird if you ask me!

peace and love
    stardust
    xxx

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Quote from stardust

i got told in supervision that i'm on my last warning for not wearing shoes in work for health and saftey reasons. i keep arguing that my boots are a far greater health and safety hazard coz i live on a farm and they're always covered in shit, but it seems they would prefer horrible shitty boots to nice clean barefeet. bit weird if you ask me!

They're most probably covering their own backs Claire. If you were to tread on a pin, or some broken glass and your foot became infected and you had to have it amputated (stranger things have happened at sea!) then they could be held responsible.

• Quote from Earth Whirler

They're most probably covering their own backs Claire. If you were to tread on a pin, or some broken glass and your foot became infected and you had to have it amputated (stranger things have happened at sea!) then they could be held responsible.

they are totally covering their own backs. it just seems weird that they can worry about my feet to the extent that i get in trouble for not wearing shoes, but they dont worry that when i wear my boots i could be walking all sorts of shit round the building. i would definately classify my boots as much more of a health and safety hazard yet they make me wear them!

peace and love
    stardust
    xxx

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Quote from stardust

they are totally covering their own backs. it just seems weird that they can worry about my feet to the extent that i get in trouble for not wearing shoes, but they dont worry that when i wear my boots i could be walking all sorts of shit round the building. i would definately classify my boots as much more of a health and safety hazard yet they make me wear them!

But it's not about the logical side it's about the legal side. I doubt there's any law that says you're not allowed to wear dirty shoes in the workplace! But there is one about having your feet protected.

• Quote from Paul

I've got a mate who goes barefoot all year round ... even in the winter he'll be wearing a puffa jacket and bobble hat and still have his feet exposed.

I guess feet must be able to toughen up so that thats possible then. In some countries men walk barefoot on the jagged coral reef whilst fishing. Makes you wonder why people in this country wear shoes at all..

Quote from stardust

i would definately classify my boots as much more of a health and safety hazard yet they make me wear them!

I suppose because it much more socially accepted to wear shoes then if you spread an illness around due to the muck on your boots it would be seen by others that noone could be held responsible and that such things happen...in fact they may not even think to trace the cause of the illness back to your boots. But if you cut your foot because you weren't wearing shoes then they'd automatically be held responsible. *sigh* its a strange world. I wish I could be barefoot at work.

• I used to walk barefoot everywhere but weirdly, after seeing so much crap (literally!) on the pavements in Glastonbury, it put me off. Apart from the dog shit there was blood from people having fights, beer from the brew crew and sometimes broken glass. You have to remember that the skin absorbs everything around it so being barefoot in towns could be dangerous.