What's important in life?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• It's important to me to speak my mind more than ever before, to allow my logical thought and intuition to work hand in hand

I have a gift for seeing things as they are,i'll be listening to that gift more often in future

that's the latest step forward for me... and so is important

What's important in life?... accepting yourself and others despite our failings... but not letting those failings cause harm

Doing your best, but not forgetting to live and have fun

Looking after your mind and body

Learning from the New Labour episode... i.e. not being fooled

You know all that money we spend on the military every year? Instead, if we use this money to feed and clothe the poor of this world, which it would do many times over, then we can explore space, inner and outer, together, as one race.

• ... and sticking by your principles:broc: damn lurve that funky dancin:wiggle:

You know all that money we spend on the military every year? Instead, if we use this money to feed and clothe the poor of this world, which it would do many times over, then we can explore space, inner and outer, together, as one race.

• Quote from Claerie

I have a gift for seeing things as they are,i'll be listening to that gift more often in future

I have that trait also.. I have listened to that trait since I was your age Claire.. learn to trust that trait no matter what... i have found over the years that alot of my paranoia comes from not listening to that inner voice or denying its insistance. It will serve you better than anything else mate. Its not a gift (imho) .. all of us are born with the ability to see things how they really are.. its just along the way people forget how to do it and become confused by societies paranoia and suggestion.. women have a stronger recollection of this faculty than men (imho) although I am fortunate to be surrounded by men who are very strong at seeing through bullshit and straight to the core :D

• Quote from StarFly

I have that trait also.. I have listened to that trait since I was your age Claire.. learn to trust that trait no matter what... i have found over the years that alot of my paranoia comes from not listening to that inner voice or denying its insistance. It will serve you better than anything else mate. Its not a gift (imho) .. all of us are born with the ability to see things how they really are.. its just along the way people forget how to do it and become confused by societies paranoia and suggestion.. women have a stronger recollection of this faculty than men (imho) although I am fortunate to be surrounded by men who are very strong at seeing through bullshit and straight to the core :D

It is condition out of us ... we are told from young that any imaginary friends are just that and that we shouldn't be so stupid but what do adults know about what children can see; and being able to have insight into things is treated as negative blah blah, and hence as adults although we all have it, like starfly says, we lose the ability or the confidence in our abilities. Children are the most likey to have such abilities as they are purer, only to be negatively influenced the more they grow older by many parents and other adults. I know if Lewis shows any signs of having insight I encourage it to the max :0) Always trust your intuition, the inner voice :0)

• I don't think it's even necessarily anything spiritual. I think our 'inner voice' is the voice of our deeper selves, that side of the self that is able to register and interpret many subtle signals and nuances that our waking mind can easily overlook. We're foolish if we fail to listen when it talks to us.

• Quote from StarFly

It's definitely one of the things that comes as you get more confident and dare i say older?:eek:

I think you stop getting confused by all the fluff around things and stop caring as much what people think of you, therefore begin to call it as you see it!

If something smells of shit, it usually is shit hahahaha

• I think what you are all saying is all cool and that, but with me i think some people complicate life, life is actually quite simple and the more simple your outlook the more uncomplicated your questions become, and answers, will in turn be simple. Christ on a bike! reading back over this, its sounds well complicated frigging hell i give up, i'll leave all the deep stuff to you lot then!!! :zipped: :insane: :insane: :insane: :wub:

• I try to live by one sentence that someone a lot wiser than me once told me "do as little harm as possible" If you live your life like this, the rest (for me anyways) seems to slot into place...

• Quote from koolaid

I try to live by one sentence that someone a lot wiser than me once told me "do as little harm as possible" If you live your life like this, the rest (for me anyways) seems to slot into place...

Mine's fairly similar, also from someone much wiser ...

"Walk softly, and carry a big stick"

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Quote from Firinne

Mine's fairly similar, also from someone much wiser ...

"Walk softly, and carry a big stick"

That reminds me of a similar philosophy that I heard from an old 60s hippy lady in the back of a Bedford ambulance (not what you think!) on the way to Glastonbury festival many moons ago:

Love and peace, man. But don't fucking push it.

It's a motto that's served me well on many an on line forum :mrgreen:

• Quite, I think to live peacefully you have to be capable of defending your values - not with a literal stick, but certainly with the strength of mind to argue your point and not be bullied by consensus.

Don't even get me started on the online forums again ;)

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Quote from Firinne

Quite, I think to live peacefully you have to be capable of defending your values - not with a literal stick, but certainly with the strength of mind to argue your point and not be bullied by consensus.

Oooh, I dunno. I've been known to pull the old literal stick out on occasion. Not my first option, but nice to have it in reserve :reddevil:

• Quote from Doktor Atomik

Oooh, I dunno. I've been known to pull the old literal stick out on occasion. Not my first option, but nice to have it in reserve :reddevil:

Yeah, I find carrying a staff can be useful at times. The threat of an antler tipped beech staff being thrust somewhere intimate tends to make people think twice - it irritates me when it comes to that though.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

Must.... avoid.... innuendo..... :reddevil:

Yes, innuendo, that's what we call it when you get stuck with the best part of a stag's fighting gear ;)

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Quote from koolaid

I try to live by one sentence that someone a lot wiser than me once told me "do as little harm as possible" If you live your life like this, the rest (for me anyways) seems to slot into place...

That is been a method of rationalising for me also. One little problem though is that you can end up taking the harm yourself.

What are your goals here on earth?

Exploration, geographically, mentally, philosophically, religiously etc...

Do you expect to grow as a person before you die? If so, in what ways?

Only in terms of experience - that experience'll lead me to whatever else I'm meant to know

What's important to you?

No-ones mentioned friends yet, what would you guys do without a like-minded person to talk to? Without someone that can understand what you mean? I'd probably become a hermit and live in some woods with lots of random animals that... would probably be terrified of me!

How do we improve as human beings?

Maybe by realising that after all our history and great ideas we are only human?

• I think finding what your good at is so important, and then trying to improve at it. Makeing time for what you are good at if that thing dosnt earn you money then a balance needs to be stuck between doing what you do to support yourself and doing the thing you love and that you are good at, other wise i reckon you go mad. We all have a gift and once you find it, make time to develope it whatever that thing is.

That thought has crossed my mind. Life seems so ludicrous sometimes you really have to woder whether it's still in beta.

The plain and simple truth is usually neither plain nor simple. Truth is stranger thatn fiction. Satire is outstripped by reality.

Yeah, I'd give anything to be able to make money from something I enjoy. Photography would be nice!

Yeah, but I've heard a few people say that when they made their hobby into their job, it lost it's enjoyment. You can't win :p

What are your goals here on earth? Do you expect to grow as a person before you die? If so, in what ways? What's important to you? How do we improve as human beings?

Answering this question is where i'm about to appear incredibly naive and idealistic :o. That's mainly because most of what my goals are are things i've had since I was just about able to figure out in my little five year old mind what was going on in the world. Singing in the garden making snail sanctuaries for Speedy, Eggy, Buttercup and others, i'd frown at a thrush for smashing one of Eggy's relatives. I'd then want to cry "Why?!" Why was the beautiful thrush distroying an equally important person by hurling it into the cold, shell adorned, death pot of concrete slabs? Why was it necessary? Why was it that I wasn't supposed to do anything about it? I was just to look on and contemplate what it all meant. I tried to cover Speedy's eyes so that he couldn't see the horriffic slaughter. It seemed to hurt him though and he irritably pulled his antennae away from me into the safety of his funny little foot. Why is life so complicated that for some reason some people have to die? Some people cant be hurried away from the crime scene? Sometimes the horror film has to go on and you have to remain transfixed and unable to do anything. But then there are times when you can step in. When do you know when to do that? It is all so complicated! But so interesting too...

So what are my goals here on earth?

I've got plenty of goals, but the one i've always had is to "stop all humans and animals from suffering." Admittedly I made amendments to it when I was about fourteen and finally added humans into the scenario. Of course it's something I can never do and it's a silly thing to say, so i don't normally talk about it much. It is what is most of my actions are based on though. I can't be saintly or anything and i'm only human at the best of times. I look around and feel like i'm not doing anything. But I place hope on the fact that the little, careful steps are the most important ones in getting up the big mountain.

Do I expect to grow as a person before I die?

I bloomin well hope so! There's nothing you can do but grow really, in one way or another. Sometimes you feel like you're going backwards i think, but even that could be an elusive surge forwards of its own. :insane:

In what way do I hope to grow. Goodness knows! I would like to grow in understanding, in empathy, in abilities, in emotions, in spirit and very physically too. I think it is important to look after yourself physically. This is something new to me, which is why i've just picked it up as the only one of these things to talk about. I've never really thought much of myself physically and have been pretty vandalistic to my body sometimes. But now i'm really coming to realise that if i want to achieve some of my high high goals, i have to really focus on making my body something extremely useful, efficient and in top form. So i'm doing horseriding, surfing, yoga, a bit of tai chi, lots of walking, and soon learning to box and kickbox! :D I've gotta be fit. I also went right off sports and physical things when i was bullied fairly badly in all the PE classes in school. It's a harder time to get good at these physical things, but i want to take them back from the people who stole them from me! :D Looking after your body is an important step in all the other things too. So yeah. Rambling :rolleyes:

What's important to me?

- Animals. They were the most important parents, teachers and friends to me for my whole younger childhood. The first real anger I felt was when I realised how unjust people are to animals. My knowledge of what goes on towards animals, good and bad, grew and grew, so that i'm now transfixed by it all and my heart always swerves towards animals when given the choice i'm afraid.

- Nature and the way the world is at the moment. Sustainability and any
    differences that can be made to help the world are so important to me. Activism and actually doing things to help are vital. I'm fed up with the people who talk about all this sort of stuff but don't do anything. I try as hard as i can to DO more than just talk. It means I act on instinct and gut feelings a lot, which makes my actions a bit hard to explain. I'm crap at debates :frust:

- Humans. It took a while for them to get down there on my 'important' list, but I have to admit i've been drawn somehow to all sorts of crappy situations we humans get ourselves into. Rape and sexual assaults are something i've learnt a lot about first hand now since i was fifteen. So naturally that's sparked a flame in me to volunteer with victim support or some similar charity. I am drawn to counselling like a bee is to a flower. This is something i'd like to take further. Homophobia is another thing I take an interest in. Also human and animal behaviour has caught my interest ever since i started self harming and realised that other people and animals do this too. Because of dyslexia i have a very faint idea of what it is like to have learning difficulties, so i'm learning about disabilities at the moment and volunteering in a home for disabled people. Which is great :).

I guess the most important things to me are in helping. I'm constantly working out a fine tapestry of how i can create knew parts of knowledge and new abilities that I can use as tools towards helping others and towards that silly big goal I said at the beginning :wiggle: .

How do we improve as human beings?

For some reason I find this question extremely hard to answer. I don't think I am one to say how we can improve. To actually acknowledge some of the thoughtless things the we do to the world and to those it it would help. Once they're acknowledged, to actually try to make steps to help would be marvellous! So many people do this already, but so many people don't. I think to unite is important. To stop being so stupid about petty quibbles such as country borders and race and other categories would be good. The kids in the playground have got out of hand and the pasty victims in the corner are lost for ways to make them listen.

umm... thanks :rolleyes:
    Love,
    Sunny
    xxx