What's important in life?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I think the important things are happiness and meaning - doing things that make yourself happy and bring happiness to others, and having a purpose in life, a goal to reach towards and things that matter to you.
    If I had to say what matters to me I'd have to say pretty much everything, sure there are things that matter all the time (friends, family, the environment etc ...) but in any given week there'll be a few things that matter for the moment, someone you meet who's having a bad time that touches you and makes you really want to reach out and lighten the load for them, an experience or insight that grabs you out of nowhere and leaves you pondering for days, trying to reach some level of integration or understanding ...
    So, I guess in a lot of ways it's the decisions we make when those things happen that really matter, they're what shape the course of our lives, our personalities, the things we hold dear, the direction we're moving in every time we change our minds or reach towards something new.
    Maybe the important thing is having the freedom to make the right decisions? Hmmm, something to think on ...

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• What I find interesting is that so much self-development relates to how we interact with others. If we were living as hermits, what would there be to improve? If we were generally content with life and had all our survival skills pegged, self-development would be a non-issue. But throw us into a crowd, and suddenly we have so many issues to address. I see other people as mirrors of ourselves. Other people can be like a window into your own soul.

• Quote from Doktor Atomik

What I find interesting is that so much self-development relates to how we interact with others. If we were living as hermits, what would there be to improve? If we were generally content with life and had all our survival skills pegged, self-development would be a non-issue. But throw us into a crowd, and suddenly we have so many issues to address. I see other people as mirrors of ourselves. Other people can be like a window into your own soul.

Definitely, and other people see things about you that you can't/don't want to see in yourself too and that's an excellent catalyst for self-development.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• I think sometimes the things that annoy us about other people are the things that we should be really lookin at in our selves and should be addressing that before we get angry with other people.

I know this to be true for me sometimes.

• Quote from StarFly

I think sometimes the things that annoy us about other people are the things that we should be really lookin at in our selves and should be addressing that before we get angry with other people.

I know this to be true for me sometimes.

Me too Starfly, I get annoyed with the little one for constantly babbling without actually saying anything and then I look at my forum posts and ... :o

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• *snigger* You don't babble about nothing. That'd be a double negative. :D :frust: Congrats on the almost 100 posts by the way. Things I want to achieve are sometimes important to me. I want to write at least one ... thing (novel, play, poem) that really really matters, even if only to a few people. And I want to be the person that I should be able to be. Not in a "People perceive me as X" way, I don't mind if they perceive me differently to how I actually am. I'm rambling. I woke up early. I'll go... place... now

• my goal is happiness and love, but happiness isnt an easy one though for me. i feel disconnected from who i really am, i have done all my life.
    so my goal is trying to connect with myself and be the person i know is inside

• Quote from Alasdair

*snigger* You don't babble about nothing. That'd be a double negative. :D :frust: Congrats on the almost 100 posts by the way.

See? 100 posts already .. babbling ;)

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Quote from TREASON

says 150 posts on my screen.

Bloody hell! I should ban myself from drinking coffee :insane:

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Quote from Alasdair

Aye, it was 99 when I made that post |:|:|: :D

Eek, that many in one day? Someone ban me and then unban me for 5 minutes every day or something!!! :madlol:

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Quote from Alasdair

It is pretty impressive

You wouldn't believe I'm normally fairly quiet on forums, would you :o

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• I sometimes think we are put here to solve the problems that come our way. Maybe in the next life we will have all the problems solved that we currently have but with much bigger problems. There again I sometimes think we are here for largely experimental reasons.

• Quote from Duckman

I sometimes think we are put here to solve the problems that come out way. Maybe in the next life we will have all the problems solved that we currently have but with much bigger problems. There again I sometimes think we are here for largely experimental reasons.

That thought has crossed my mind. Life seems so ludicrous sometimes you really have to woder whether it's still in beta.

• The most important thing for me is to be the best that I can. I know that by being happy and content within myself I can use that strength to help others. And so I want to work on becoming a better person by changing the negatives about me or accepting and using them in a positive way (still with me?) I often give myself a hard time for the smallest of things.......

I absolutely agree that you can only change through relationships with others. People can teach you all sorts of lessons if you're only willing to listen, and only by observing my behaviour when I'm with people can I truly see who I am.

My ultimate goal in life is to help others make good decisions, make them smile, but overall, be happy within myself. :)

• Quote from Doktor Atomik

That thought has crossed my mind. Life seems so ludicrous sometimes you really have to woder whether it's still in beta.

hahahahahahaha!

music is what's most important to me, then the usual cack, girlf family all that nonsense.

• I all too often see people looking for panaceas to their problems in life. There are no panaceas only particular solutions to particular problems. Sure you can find a very useful product that has a multitude of uses but is not a panacea.
    Looking for a panacea essentially amounts to intellectual laziness.

In any case even if you could remove all the problems in your life, it might become menial. Most games are based on solving a type of problem. I remember I had this pocket solitare game when I was a teenager. I could never win at it. When I went back to my parents home a couple of years ago, I put it in my personal luggage to have a go at when hanging around at different airports. Once I cracked the formula and completed the game several times, I completly lost interest in the game because it no longer presented a challenge.
    The best game of chess is with someone of your own level. If you play against someone much better than you are overwhelmed, but if you play against someone much worse than you then there is no challenge because you never have to think too hard about what you are doing.

• Quote from Duckman

Once I cracked the formula and completed the game several times, I completly lost interest in the game because it no longer presented a challenge.

Ah, that's an analogy for so much in life!

The best game of chess is with someone of your own level. If you play against someone much better than you are overwhelmed, but if you play against someone much worse than you then there is no challenge because you never have to think too hard about what you are doing.

Indeed. But you only improve at chess by playing superior players.