Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Anyone know anything. I'm tempted to go to the doctor's with Blu and get her prescribed them for a while to calm her down.

ONLY WITH HER CONSENT

Its getting crazy. I don't know how much more of this i can handle. Were constantly arguing. I just reckon that Valium might allow her to calm down and take things a bit easier. I'm at the end of my tether. I don't want sympathy, just advice. Its either this i go back on the drink.

"Going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. You know you're going to get it, but it's going to be rough."

• Please Lister don't get Blu to take Vali's.. my mate has been on them for years now.. and they are fucking her up.. BIG STYLE...

And she has been through similar events as Blu... I'm afriad that although the vali's will SEDATE Blu they will not sort out WHY she has this anger... They will only mask it...

• i was prescribed valium hun a few years back for my anxiety and i took em
    it took 12 months to wean me off them and it was horrific
    i still get cravings now wen im having a really bad day

they just numb you to your feelings
    so just cover up whats going on and then wen its wearing off the feelings start coming back so you take more and more and the more you take them the greater dose you need

i wish id been offered counselling as an option back then
    i think she would benefit from this to be honest

i have also been given propranalol for my anxiety and my blood pressure

i know a mild dose of this is given to people who are about to go on a plane and are scared as it calms them down

but blu would need to see her doc about this
    maybe go together then you can both say how your feeling and how its affecting you
    good luck hunny

• Quote from tekno

Please Lister don't get Blu to take Vali's.. my mate has been on them for years now.. and they are fucking her up.. BIG STYLE...

And she has been through similar events as Blu... I'm afriad that although the vali's will SEDATE Blu they will not sort out WHY she has this anger... They will only mask it...

Cheers Tekno Im jus clutching at straws. I love her but she REALLY needs to chill. Iv heard good and bad bout Vali's. I dunno, just needed some advice.

"Going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. You know you're going to get it, but it's going to be rough."

• Quote from tekno

Please Lister don't get Blu to take Vali's.. my mate has been on them for years now.. and they are fucking her up.. BIG STYLE...

ditto! my best mate is still fucked up from valium addiction it has ruined loads for her, they were prescribed for anxiety but the withdrawal she is dealing with now is hideous! dont do it

• Thanks Sensi. Iv not heard much bout propanol. I'm standing watching her going downhill, while i try and keep her up. I know Vali's and the like would finish her, i jus need some thing.

Thanks again

• propranalol is not something id say to take in the long term but i know from experience a doc will prescribe it in the short term say a 10 mg dose
    as it does calm you down and with out the effects of valium
    but ultimatley its the counselling i think that would be the most beneficial
    and ask the doc about getting her name down for some cognitive behavioural therapy
    let me know how you go hun and if either of you need anything wether its just an ear to sound off at im sire you have my number

• Quote from Laney

Hypnotherapy may help

See, iv thought about that. Helping her deal with all the crap, in a safe space. I'm gonna look into it. Thanks Laney.

Quote from fairygirl

ditto! my best mate is still fucked up from valium addiction it has ruined loads for her, they were prescribed for anxiety but the withdrawal she is dealing with now is hideous! dont do it

Im getting the view that this is a bad idea. I wont do it, i know there's plenty of other ways....i'm just......ye...

• Quote from sensamelia

propranalol is not something id say to take in the long term but i know from experience a doc will prescribe it in the short term say a 10 mg dose
    as it does calm you down and with out the effects of valium
    but ultimatley its the counselling i think that would be the most beneficial
    and ask the doc about getting her name down for some cognitive behavioural therapy
    let me know how you go hun and if either of you need anything wether its just an ear to sound off at im sire you have my number

Thanks Sensi.

• i have been prescribed valium in the past,in small doses along with counselling and i didnt get hooked,just when i was like a bear with a sore arse they helped me come down to a lvl where i could think straight and rationally.
    my gp told me to take only when i really needed them and he only prescribed enough for light usage as and when i needed them,along with the counselling i received i actually think they worked a treat and without them i doubt i would have the relationship i have today.its tough when your pressing that self destruct button and makeing not only your own life but the lifes of the people you love the most a living hell.
    obviously they are addictive and are by no means a long term cure,but i think you should talk to your gp,after all they are trained to know about drugs,side effects and other treatments and thearapies that could help.

• doctors are trained to know about drugs etc but i think when it comes to mental health its a mine field hunny
    my doctor will readily admit this and hes a fantastic doc
    you see not many are so fortunate with valium and i know this from the support group i had to attend when coming off them
    if your not in such a good state of mind to start with its so easy to become addicted
    i was given a low dose to start with for as and wen and it dident take long before i was hooked
    and im not a pill person
    id say explore every avenue before going down this path seriously

• Quote from beatnick

i have been prescribed valium in the past,in small doses along with counselling and i didnt get hooked,just when i was like a bear with a sore arse they helped me come down to a lvl where i could think straight and rationally.
    my gp told me to take only when i really needed them and he only prescribed enough for light usage as and when i needed them,along with the counselling i received i actually think they worked a treat and without them i doubt i would have the relationship i have today.its tough when your pressing that self destruct button and makeing not only your own life but the lifes of the people you love the most a living hell.
    obviously they are addictive and are by no means a long term cure,but i think you should talk to your gp,after all they are trained to know about drugs,side effects and other treatments and thearapies that could help.

Thanks Beatnick. I don't want to stifle her strong spirit. I'v heard that many folk can handle them, along with [SIZE=-1]Counselling, but its the [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Counselling that she needs. Because of patient confedentially i cant go along and speak tyo her doctor to try and get some form of counselling arranged. I think its this that is causing the moods and anger, plus the fear.

:frust:

[/SIZE]

• I was prescribed Valium for a while to help control my panic attacks. It worked..although they also made me feel sick, numb and completely unable to think straight. I personally dont think it was worth it.

I have a damn good acupuncturist. For me, acupuncture has been the best form of treatment I've recieved for anxiety and for controlling manic periods and for generally boosting my moods. When I'm in pembrokeshire I make sure I have an acupuncture session at least once a month..though sometimes if I'm particularly struggling I have it weekly.. It has worked really well for me. It might be worth investigating it for Blu.

Good Luck.

:hug:

• Quote from Laney

I've moved this thread to Health and Wellbeing :)

Thanks Laney :)

• Hmmmm....i'll look into that. Don't know much bout it, but its worth a try. Cheers Dibdabs

• im by no means saying valium are the answer,but my head was firmly fixed up my arse when i was given em,but i was also told i would not be given them on a repeat script,they were for short term use whilst my antideppressants kicked in and untill i saw a thearapist.
    i took the anti depressants for about 2 months before i took myself of them and used just physcothearapy and strength of mind to get my head into the place it is now.
    mental health is a minefeild i agree, and i think there is far to many drugs pumped into people because they dont fit in the box of sanity.
    as i say short term valium helped me,yeah maybe i was lucky but the most helpful thing i ever did was go to a thearapist and work out why i am the way i am and how i can change the way in which i think.
    i can honestly say i wasnt in a good state of mind when i was prescribed them tho sensi,it was the darkest and most horendous time of my life.

• Hey Lister,

if I were in Blu's situation, I would be looking for something to give me a lift too, because though she obviously needs to work through all the pain she has inside, it's not always possible to do that when you feel like destroying yourself.

She mentioned St. John's Wort in another thread - that's gonna take at least a month to have any effect, so I don't think now is the time to be looking into other meds.

And bear in mind, even quite common drugs such as prozac can have horrible effects on many people (I speak from experience on that one) - even the contraceptive pill can make people suicidal (again, from my experience). Everyone's different, and it will probably take a while to find the right thing for her.

I really doubt the doctor will prescribe valium straight away without trying other options first.

• Quote from beatnick

im by no means saying valium are the answer,but my head was firmly fixed up my arse when i was given em,but i was also told i would not be given them on a repeat script,they were for short term use whilst my antideppressants kicked in and untill i saw a thearapist.
    i took the anti depressants for about 2 months before i took myself of them and used just physcothearapy and strength of mind to get my head into the place it is now.
    mental health is a minefeild i agree, and i think there is far to many drugs pumped into people because they dont fit in the box of sanity.
    as i say short term valium helped me,yeah maybe i was lucky but the most helpful thing i ever did was go to a thearapist and work out why i am the way i am and how i can change the way in which i think.
    i can honestly say i wasnt in a good state of mind when i was prescribed them tho sensi,it was the darkest and most horendous time of my life.

so glad your back with us now hunny

• yeah me to hun..and you know what its great to be back:)
    the one peice of invaluable thearapy i was given was to talk through the past,and the negative stuff,but to always look for the preasant and future,dont put hurdles up to stop me following my dreams and not to look at what i have lost but what i have gained..
    sometimes it takes the darkest and lowest of times to apreciate what we have and what we got to look forward to;)

• Lister, i've justbeen reffered to councelling, too, well i'm assuming you know cause i pm'd Blu about it. But the thing is i'm acting pretty much the same way as she is. I think it has everything to do with all that fear and insecurity and negative crap being held inside for so long, that once someone taps into it, it just comes gushing out and has no direction. It's so hard on you but all you can do is be there for her. Ask to go to a councelling session with her to see if whoever is seeing to her can reccomend how you deal with it?
    ((hugs to the both of you))
    :Edit: I thought she'd been reffered Lister, she has hasn'tshe??

• I used to take valium, i would take ten blue ones with ten dfs after being prescribed them for fuck all when I was 18 , they are too nice and too addictive , dont even go there!
    They like pringles.

• Valium has helped me. My doc was a quack and used to try to pawn the drug of the week off on me so i finally went in with a solid idea of what i wanted and Valium was part of that to help get me through the few weeks it takes the SSRI's to kick in.

He gave me a huge fucking bottle of them which was just asking for a habit. Luckily I was well researched and had the proper respect for the pill before taking it and have avoided dependancy. I use it on the really bad days (half a tab of 5ml usually) and it takes the edge off the crazy and makes me functional.

• I was given a vallium last year and yup, it really calms you down. Doctors round here don't like to prescribe it much and Blu probably would be better aided by counselling. Whatever you do, don't buy some dodgy street stuff, manufactured in god knows where, containing god knows what!

• Valium - dont touch except for 24 hour emergency medication. Its bad news with a capital Bad!

If you need a therapy of choice, try Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. Narcotics will just block problems out, but the price is running at a LOT lower level in general.

Unless problems are purely physical (ie: brain damage) drugs should only be seen as a very short term emergency step - akin to a lifebelt if you fall in the water. Ok for a short term but anything more than it its dangerous in itself and certainly no basis for a life. As, unless a problem is caused by a physical problem (and not just a physical symptom of a psychological problem), the solution is Cognitive, not Chemical.

She needs to be encouraged to talk about her problems and find out what dodgy thinking is messing her up; catch is, its like growing flowers - pulling at them doesnt make them grow :D People can only we drawn into such therapy, not forced kicking and screaming.

Is this linked to the "magical banishing" thing?

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Quote from Coyote

Is this linked to the "magical banishing" thing?

No. That was more on a spirit, [iv been having funny dreams-hearing strange sounds] type of thing.

• Lister you should buy some Valerian root.. tis a natural sedative... and not addictive! :D

Also try to remember that Blu is probably taking it all out on you because she feels safe with you... I could be wrong.. but when Ive been lashing out it is always those whom I love, and feel safest with that cops it!

• Valerian, St. John Wort and Chamomile are three herbs that would have a very soothing and uplifting effect when infused, especially taken morning, noon and night (3x3). People tend to pass these herbs by, but they are medicinal plants, and you don’t have to buy factory processed in teabags, but you can order these dried herbs fresh, and make an infusion as strong as you feel is required, so it needn't take ages to work.

Read peoples experiences on Erowid regarding valerian and St John. There are no ‘experiences’ logged for chamomile, perhaps because it's chemical effect are so very mild that it is pretty imperceptible, or perhaps it is that it’s the least ‘cool’ substance on Erowid, but chamomile is so gentle that it is safe for even babies, and so that tells us something about it’s nurturing and soothing qualities. I think you can also get extracts of these herbs.

Blue Lotus, can be smoked as an aside, or also added to an infusion.

http://www.erowid.org/herbs/valerian/

http://www.erowid.org/experien…s/exp_St_Johns_Wort.shtml

http://www.erowid.org/herbs/chamomile/

http://www.erowid.org/experien…bs/exp_Lotus_I_Lily.shtml