What really gets your goat?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• soso true, ignore that kind of person muninn, sadly they are everywhere :/

and this is truely a brilliant place. I think a large number of us here arn't your run of the mill person but who wants to be run of the mill :). everyone here loves, cares, and it doesnt matter if you are different :)

i gues what gets my goat today is that not everyone is a hippie :)

• People not allowed to make mistakes. Today on the school run a woman flashed her car lights to allow a pedestrian to cross. A car with two old folk in it thought she was indicating them too and slowly started to pull over. No-one was in danger of getting hurt. There was ugly abuse that came out of car driver 1's mouth and the nasty expression said a lot about her. Why do we all have to interpret so bloody quick and why can't people sometimes get it wrong? I find the pace of life these days mental!!!

• Got up the courage to go to the swimming pool tonight (swimming is a good form of exercise for my condition), and *none* of the 3 local pools have an open swim session tonight - well that's that idea kicked into the long grass. Could go tomorrow but then I probably won't be up for it.

It's bloody expensive compared to what it used to be as well! I thought exercise was to be encouraged, not just for those with money?!

• Call this petty if you like, but it irritates me immensely when I see people with otherwise good spelling and grammar, who seem to be unable to spell the word *definitely*. What is it about that word?! :S

• Heh, I might be responsible for that occasionally.

My spelling is quite good on the whole (but my grammar can be shocking, blame the regional dialect coming through), but my big problem is getting the "i before e" thing right. There seems to be more exceptions than rules on this!

• i could be guilty too
    but my excuse is i was taught to read & write phonetically first,
    then you were meant to re learn it properly.... like that was ever gonna work,
    the system only taught that way for a few years
    then realised it was a crap way of doing it, & abandoned it

result my spelling is awful ...... oops

• Haha i definately do have serious problems spelling that word :D

Well played :p

It's more bafflement than anything else actually (although some would accuse me of being a grammar nazi, I'd like to think I'm not as bad as some people I know :p), at people who can spell all sorts of other words perfectly, but then stumble over that one :insane:

Other pet peeves of mine include the confusion of 'you're/your', 'they're/there/their', and the general misuse of apostrophes :pp

• i could be guilty too
    but my excuse is i was taught to read & write phonetically first,
    then you were meant to re learn it properly.... like that was ever gonna work,
    the system only taught that way for a few years
    then realised it was a crap way of doing it, & abandoned it

result my spelling is awful ...... oops

Ironically, there's not a single spelling mistake in this post :D

• Apostrophe abuse really riles me for some reason. All offenders should be pelted with potato's ;)

By the way, have you noticed the difference in two supermarkets - Morrisons and Sainsbury's? One has one, the other doesn't. Irritates me every time!

• is it just me or are the old punks selling their souls for Babylons pennies

i can just about handle john lydon flogging butter
    cos his tongue is firmly in his cheek

chumbawumba i can forgive cos at least they said they had to make some money
    & after years of supporting & playing the free festival circuit, fair enough

but now the undertones, no doubt read fergal sharky, are floggin scrap sofas
    for a company that has a sale on 366 days a year

what next the cure playing * the forest* as you walk around the bleedin supermarket
    hold on that happened the day before yesterday !!!

Aaaahhhh !! :frust:

• Noticing that whoever had a mowing fit on the farm also mowed down all my wildflowers at the back of the house. Why do people always want things looking so sterile? I suppose it's a step up from pouring weedkiller on everything, but they were looking nice.

• Noticing that whoever had a mowing fit on the farm also mowed down all my wildflowers at the back of the house. Why do people always want things looking so sterile? I suppose it's a step up from pouring weedkiller on everything, but they were looking nice.

I know how ya feel Beachie, I had a go at a neighbour in the springtime, all the daffodils in the lane were just budding and soft arse at the end strimmed them all down so that the lane looked nice and neat :( I warned him off of my young foxgloves when I planted them, he started muttering that he dosen't like them, so I told him to piss off because I do and they are in front of my house, he aint been near them so looks like that worked. :)

• People who can't keep their eye on their damned kids! Went to work today in a shopping centre and found a wee girl of 2 wandering around the walkways with no one in sight looking for her. Called out everywhere to try and fine if she'd just gone astray from one of the nearby shops-nothing, I bet they didn't even notice she was gone! Scooped her up and took her security but she didn't protest going with a complete stranger. ANYONE could have just carried her off.

"Fairness? Pfft, please! Next thing you'll be asking for good tasting soy-cheese. The nerve of kids today, honestly."

• People who can't keep their eye on their damned kids! Went to work today in a shopping centre and found a wee girl of 2 wandering around the walkways with no one in sight looking for her. Called out everywhere to try and fine if she'd just gone astray from one of the nearby shops-nothing, I bet they didn't even notice she was gone! Scooped her up and took her security but she didn't protest going with a complete stranger. ANYONE could have just carried her off.

I find that very concerning. People who allow their 2 year olds to wander off like that should be made to read about James Bulger, then perhaps they would take a great deal more care in future.

• SNP zealots plastering 'YES' to every available lamp post/ fence/ bus stop in sight. Do they really believe that it's going to make a blind bit of difference to people who aren't already inclined to vote yes next year? The saltire is becoming nothing more than an emblem for the SNP. I'm quite proud to be both Scottish and British, but apparently that makes me unpatriotic. The run-up to this referendum is going to be a nightmare.

• OOh Ma, they should be outlawed. I got told that if I had just wiped my skin with a soapy cloth straight away I would not have reacted to them, that must be crap, it cannot be that easy lol, and I did not know they had bloody bit me till the day after anyway :( I am now on a course of antibiotics