What really gets your goat?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Motorways, I have no choice but to use one to get the 18 miles to work............why or why are they so badly planned that they only move at 3mph on a good day?

• Motorways, I have no choice but to use one to get the 18 miles to work............why or why are they so badly planned that they only move at 3mph on a good day?

I don't think they are that badly planned, just that when they were planned the volumes of traffic that uses them today was inconceivable back then. They have been victims of their own success in a way.

The best mode of transport for a jammed up motorway in my opinion is a motorbike.

• Try the M60 between junctions 18 and 12 :( they have the biggest feeds only a few hundred yards apart, and it is quite a modern motorway :(

are you sure you have to use motorways? try going on a country road, may take a tad longer, and travel a tad father, but its nice to look at, and you arn't stuck in traffic. I have a nice chilled cruise every morning instead of using the A road, its about the same distance, but no traffic :)

• Them friggin' arsewipes at the CSA. A couple of months ago they tell me i've overpaid them for 6 months-ish and that I should be due a refund of just under £1500, a while later they tell me it goes further back than they thought, so at their calculations I worked out I must be due around £3500.
    Today I receive 3 letters of gobbledegook so I called them to explain everything, the woman tells me that basically they have made a mistake and that I owe them £1000.
    Why can't they understand that I should not have been paying for a 19 year old that at certain times was on an apprenticeship or claiming JSA.
    Absolute fuckin wankers :curse: :curse:

• Today I receive 3 letters of gobbledegook so I called them to explain everything, the woman tells me that basically they have made a mistake and that I owe them £1000.

:eek: Those gobbledegook letters definitely get my goat too.

Awkward bastards, and being excluded from conversation whilst in a threesome, having made the effort to turn up for a birthday drink. Then being spoken to because you're the only one left.

• Tell me about it! I've spent the last couple of days looking at ads on Gumtree, and most of them are full of txt spk and have no punctuation at all. Maybe I'm being old-fashioned, but they do still teach English in schools, don't they? :S

• Working back at the posh hotel this week. So I'm going into the vacant rooms to measure up, to find that the big plasma TVs are on for the next guests, as are a fair few lights. What's the point? Such a waste of resources! :S

It's stupid, isn't it? In the hotel I worked in last year, we could clean a room at 9 in the morning and had to put the lights on ready for check in later in the afternoon. And if the guest cancelled? The lights would just be left on all night! I suppose it's their own money they're wasting...

• It wound me up as I do everything I can to use minimal electric/gas/water (for both environmental reasons, and I'm a short armed, deep pocketed Yorkshireman :P ). I was tempted to turn everything off after I was done... but would have been just a little obvious who did it :P

• The lights would just be left on all night! I suppose it's their own money they're wasting...

More likely the guests pay for the electricity used by the hotel, as the room rates are probably calculated to include these costs. Energy wastage is very short sighted as one day the electricity, gas and oil will all run out.

• A work collegue sarcastically said to me "not opening the offices today then" when he came on day shift, I said "I have, why?"

"Well why arn't the reception lights on?"

"Because it is fucking broad daylight and it is a glass fronted building" :pp

He hasn't asked me anything since :angel:

• The "vegan police" or sites like this. FFS, that's really going to persuade people to choose a more compassionate diet. NOT!
    I'm proud to have be vegan for the last 30 years but people like those that run this site are doing us no good and making us look like obsessed terrorists.

• So, I'm having a pleasant, if slightly rowdy gathering at a friend's house for her birthday. Chatting away for a couple of hours, then all of a sudden one of her friends (who I've met a couple of times) decides to air her thoughts about my somewhat lack of self-confidence. Well actually, a rant. Wouldn't shut up, practically laying into me... I tell her I'm becoming uncomfortable with it, still she carrys on. I get fed up, walk out of the house and drive off.

What part of someone's brain actually thinks that talking to me like that will actually make me feel BETTER?! No wonder I feel happier as a recluse!

• Wouldn't worry about it to much Mr Munnin , though do wonder why some people mix with Loons , no Disrespect to you . Im always on the outside looking in , ive got some nice friends ,though distance keeps us apart , we always have respect for each other ,{anything else wouldn't do , anyway ,end of , just don't mix in those circles . Have a nice evening Amigo .:thumbup:

• Thank you both. It just wound me up that she thought I could magically transform in a happy, bouncy, "life is brilliant" person. I'm not, though I'm making improvements, which anyone knows will take a long time to happen. I know leaving was the least worst option, but feel sorry for the friend whose party it was.

I am naturally quite an outsider, so to speak, I don't mind that. But when you have someone you barely know passing opinion on how wrong I am to feel the way I do... I think I'll retire to my shell thank you!

Honestly, I'm glad this place is here, you guys don't seem to judge, are a good source of support, and seem to be happy with random waifs and strays like me :)