The Vagina Monologues, Southampton

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I'm performing in a version for International Womens' Day (8th March)

*happy dance*

I'm doing "Because He Liked To Look At It".

The performance itself will take place on Saturday 8th March at
    The Art House, Southampton - we may have two performances if there is enough demand. We're gonna try and make it as interactive as possible, probably with different monologues going on in different locations throughout the centre.

Proceeds go to Women's refuge centres in the Southampton area. So all you Hampshire people should definitely come!

I am well excited!!!

• Oo, oo, I'd like to come! Would I be allowed to carry the baby in there? I think it will be born by then. I would have my very own vagina story by then!!

• I saw that one at Sunrise - its a great one and really funny - I'm sure you'll have lots of fun performing it :)

• Quote from Gillyflower

Oo, oo, I'd like to come! Would I be allowed to carry the baby in there? I think it will be born by then. I would have my very own vagina story by then!!

Oh, yes, we shall be very happy to have a baby in the audience :D

• I'd love to see this, but I think it might be too far to come.

Coincidentally, my mother-in-law told us she was going to see the vagina monologues soon, I think at a theatre somewhere in Surrey..... but she was too embarrassed to actually say the word "vagina" so I don't know how she'll cope!

• Quote from AnnieAnne

Coincidentally, my mother-in-law told us she was going to see the vagina monologues soon, I think at a theatre somewhere in Surrey..... but she was too embarrassed to actually say the word "vagina" so I don't know how she'll cope!

That sounds like a very funny anecdote waiting to happen :D

• It's begining to look more like a possibility.... is it walking distance from a station? and if so, which one? What time? and is it a tickets in advance or pay on the door arrangement?

• Oooh, exciting!!! It's walking distance from Southampton central station, and I think it's going to be a make-a-donation-at-the-door kinda thing :D

I don't actually know what time... I'll have to ask the organised lady.

• OK: update on this!!

It looks like we will now be doing three performances on the day - one at four, one at six and one at eight... but it depends on demand, so we're having to make a guest list. If you'd like to be on the list, email this lovely lady jani@thearthousesouthampton.co.uk to book your place - you don't need to pay or anything, it's still going to be donations on the door.

It's going to be *amazing* we'll be using every room in the venue (it's an art gallery) and it'll be just a little bit different... :D

• Event Info Name: The Art House Women Present The Vagina Monologues
    Tagline: ...for International Women's Day
    Host: Art House
    Type: Music/Arts - Performance
    Time and Place Date: Saturday, March 8, 2008
    Time: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
    Street: 81A Bedford Place (Entrance on Henstead Road)
    City/Town: Southampton, United Kingdom
    View Map

Contact Info Email: info@thearthousesouthampton.co.uk

Description

The Art House women are proud to present a performance of Eve Ensler's "The Vagina Monolgues"
    on International Women's Day, Saturday 8th March 2008.

"The Vagina Monologues" is based
    on interviews that Eve Ensler did with hundreds of real women and range from poignant to hilarious.

The performance will be in the Art House to a small audience of 10 - there will be three showings, one at 4pm, one at 6pm and one at 8pm.

Booking is essential and early booking is advised as there are only 10 places per showing, 30 places in total! To book, please email info@thearthousesouthampton.co.uk , we will send you a confirmation email to let you know your place has been booked.

This is a free event but we will be asking for donations - all of which will go to Southampton Women's Aid -
    a local charity which offers emergency, temporary accommodation to
    women and their children escaping domestic violence.

The cafe will be open before and after the performances, serving cakes, light snacks and hot and cold drinks.

• Ooooh I only saw this thread!! If I had more money/more time I would have come to this! It's very exciting! Maybe you can give us a reciteal at Dorset! :D

• yeah good luck :) I love this play, seen it twice at the BGG and want to be in it at some point, it's amazing :) Go girl xxxxx

Fairest of the Happy Hippy Redheads
    I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dream, for the adventure of being alive... :heart:

• Thanks for all your good wishes, everyone!

It went really well - despite two volunteers droppping out at the last minute and only half the audience turning up for the first performance!!! It worked out that we had to do three performances (4, 6 and 8pm) pretty much on loop though :eek: so no wonder I slept in til 15 mins ago!

Big thankyous to AnnieAnne and her lovely man for coming to see us :D

• Enjoyable, funny (in parts) and thought-provoking. It wasn't obvious that anyone had dropped out, at least not to me.

I liked that is was made so interractive in places. We both liked the use of different rooms in the building too.

[but I do think it's a good job my husband's not too much of a 'man's man' - I thought he coped admirably well with being the only male in a room full of women talking in detail about vaginas!]

• HOW DID I MISS THIS???!!!

glad it went well spring :) i wish i could have come (s'abit far mind!) was there any video footage?