Shamanism

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Is there any one else here into all things shamanic - love to chat if there is.

I have done a few shamanic workshops and have got one lined up for next weekend and im soooo excited.

:arr:

• It is amazing although I haven't partaken in any drinking of herbal cocktails in my workshops.

I recommend going to a shamanic workshop - it blows your mind, you learn to journey in a meditative state to other worlds, meet with your power animal allies and bring back info for yourself and others. In the last workshop I did, I was given information and I then looked it up on the net, it was startling to find that things I new nothing about, I had been given exact details on.

You work with drumming and the use of sound to create a meditative trance like state and then journey into these worlds to find healing answers.

Love and light
    xxx

• That sounds great, for some reason I didn't think there would be anything like this in the U.K. Cheers for the info I'll check it out. If you have any good links to share though it would be good :)

• Michael Harner is a well known shamanic author and he does CDs too which you can journey along to.

There are tons of shamanic websites, see which one jumps out at you.

My shamanic teacher is called Churaig McNeil and he is nomadic really. He spends alot of time in the South and was telling me about a drumming circle in central London that he goes to - that might be somewhere you could go. I could find out for you if you like. They just meet and get together and drum and journey and chill out about once a month. You may need to go on an introductory workshop first. Just let me know if you need any help with anything and I try and find out for you.

Love and light
    x

• Quote from earth mama

He spends alot of time in the South and was telling me about a drumming circle in central London that he goes to - that might be somewhere you could go. I could find out for you if you like. They just meet and get together and drum and journey and chill out about once a month. You may need to go on an introductory workshop first. Just let me know if you need any help with anything and I try and find out for you.

Love and light
    x

I live a bit far from london, but if there's other locations in the south he goes to then it would be good to hear, thanks! :)

• If you are into drumming check out this event.. its wonderful.. veggie food, stalls (we are one of them!) and a fab vibe..a mini festie inside..
    If its just the shamanism try this. Rebekah is a friend of mine.. she's amazing!:pbook:

• One of the most memorable journeys I had was around a time when I was trying to stop smoking tabacco, cos I had been coughing quite alot and it was worrying me. Both me a my teacher journied to meet the spirit of Cannabis Shativa, and the word Coltswood kept being said to me throughout, but I didnt know what it meant. So when I came back I started trying to find this word in indexs of books. In a herbal book I found Coltsfoot (which is similar, I guess I couldve miss heard) which is a herb that you can smoke. And is also benificial for the lungs. Its a very dry herb, but readily available for a health shop and it did help with cutting down, giving me something to roll and smoke.

• Hi there ,
    Im really new to this forum but i noticed your post ..
    Just out of interest - do you follow any particular shamanic path - ie mongol , native american , south american , inuit etc ?

I generally veer towards the native american way - although i stay away from any organised sweat lodge , drumming events as a rule...

My Hungarian ancestors way back were shamanic since some of them came from mongolia .. i find the whole area fascinating .. any time you wanta have a chat feel free to come find me :)

• Quote from Chaiyah

I generally veer towards the native american way

Well, to be honest, there isnt the or even a "Native American way" as each nation is often vastly different in beliefs and practices to others - the plains indians may be portrayed as the "standard" but that isnt the case :whistle: ;)

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Coyote , Good point ,
    I know that within first nations there are thousands of differant beliefs and ways of practise,

What i meant by my somewhat bad generalisation was that , I tend to veer towards the shamanic idea of a spirit world and that everything has a spirit which in turn is part of a greater sacred whole ..

I would like to think that i am not so ignorant as to believe that the plains way is the only way within first nations , and i personally do not take part in sweat lodges , drummings , pow wows or anything like that for the very reason that they are events sacred to first nations and have been handed down for generations and so require more than an understanding gained from tv or internet
    . I am not of the first nations nor do i try to pretend i have anything more than the smallest understanding of their ways .. That being said , i do feel a connection to them and I think that in my own way I can at least try to follow the path they and their ancestors walked - even if my understanding of it will only ever be limited at best ..

• My colleague Jayne Anderson works not to far away, in Richmond Yorks. I really recommend her. You can check out her info at therapeutic-shamanism.co.uk
    You can also explore the site to see more about the kind of shammanism that she (and I) do. Hope this helps!

• sorry to pop peoples bubbles but shamanism is not a game
    it a way of life
    forget workshops they only there to take your money
    as stated before it a way of life and you have to work at it yourself nobody can teach you
    the word shaman comes from Siberia so it does not apply to any where else in the world each culture has their own words for their eldars,witchdoctors, wiseman/woman, druid, volga,

true ayahuasca can kill read Harmers book it not sometyhing to play with
    if you cant go into trance without a drug then you not ready

• true ayahuasca can kill read Harmers book it not sometyhing to play with

True ayahuasca cannot kill you, but you could suffer bad reactions if you've eaten certain foods before dabbling. Ayahuasca contains an MAOI which suppresses stomach digestion long enough for the DMT to be orally active, MAOI's have been known to cause heart irregularities but there are no confirmed fatalities from "true" ayahuasca.

• sorry to pop peoples bubbles but shamanism is not a game
    it a way of life
    forget workshops they only there to take your money
    as stated before it a way of life and you have to work at it yourself nobody can teach you

Surely you can be taught a shamanic path though, having a mentor surely offers someone guidance and support in a committed process, and surely you can learn from aspects of shamanic practice without taking the whole religious beliefs behind the practices into account...anything can be learnt from and adapted and inspired by. I am sure many workshops don't claim to make you into a shaman but offer interesting meditation and trance perspectives and techniques inspired by shamanic practice.

the word shaman comes from Siberia so it does not apply to any where else in the world each culture has their own words for their eldars,witchdoctors, wiseman/woman, druid, volga,

I am pretty sure i have heard tribesmen from tribes that are not based in siberia refer to themselves as shamans, so i am not sure this is completely true.

Thats debatable.

• Surely you can be taught a shamanic path though, having a mentor surely offers someone guidance and support in a committed process, and surely you can learn from aspects of shamanic practice without taking the whole religious beliefs behind the practices into account...anything can be learnt from and adapted and inspired by. I am sure many workshops don't claim to make you into a shaman but offer interesting meditation and trance perspectives and techniques inspired by shamanic practice.

Shamanic practice was, before it became a commercial phenomenon, an extremely dangerous one; the people involved often lived at the edges of villages as they were considered too dangerously unstable to be part of society - when you went to the shaman you went with considerable tripidation. It also involved very painful and dangerous activity (including drugs and placing yourself in a dangerous situation).

The stuff taught as "contemporary shamanism" is, in my experience, more sham than ism. I remember once being told that a shaman should go into the countryside to experience the chaos and danger of nature; when I pointed out to them the managed nature of the English countryside and that they would find more chaos and danger on the central reservation of the M25 they were not happy :( This was at a conference officiated at by Caitlin Mathews which I attended during my 3rd year at uni and was, on the whole, disneyfied when compared to anything remotely like historical shamanism.

If you want to learn something about Shamanism, go for books by Piers Vitebsky rather than say Caitlin Matthews or Kenneth Meadows, as the level of scholarship (and experience) tends to be far greater.

I am pretty sure i have heard tribesmen from tribes that are not based in siberia refer to themselves as shamans, so i am not sure this is completely true.

The word is from the language of the Tungus people of Siberia and refered to a specific role within their social structure.

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• When in any form of trance are you really in control. to me it seems that bieng in a trance means you are handing control to something more powerfull then yourself and asking it to guide you, anything could happen to you physically or mentally while in this state so both forms of trance are just as dangerous.

• Why do you need to be in control?

Why can you not loose control and learn from that..

providing trance inducing states are induced in safe environments by people that have researched what they are doing and all trust each other, then i can't see what is wrong with trance experimentation drug induced or not.

• the only place you can be put into a safe drug inhanced trance is in hospital any other place is open to outside influences
    name one person who is qualified to administer drugs for trance work

• To be honest i think the hospital is the least place i would want to be put into drug enhanced trance...that is a bad trip no doubt. I can't imagine anything worse. That would be hell.

Why do you need to be qualified to administer drugs to yourself...? Providing you have fully researched and read in depth about what you are doing, you are in a safe environment with people you trust and you start off with small doses not chucking yourself into the deep end...then i can't see the problem. Yes there are risks. The risks are not that high, and there are risks walking across the road every morning.

Now i am in no way suggesting everyone should now go out and take trance inducing drugs...these type of drugs are not for everyone, there are risks and people should consider these before doing so, only the individual knows if it is right for them really. I deffonetly wouldn't recomend taking trance induceing drugs unless you already have some experience and are sure it is right for you, but you dont need to be in a hospital to take them.

• Hospitals don't generally give out trance inducing substances anyway, and many contemporary doctors know virtually nothing about them.

On the 'safelty' side you could end up catching MRSA or something worse too. Far more of a a danger than that presented by magic mushrooms for instance.

The only person qualified to give me trance inducing drugs is me. May it ever remain that way.

reconsider what you have learned about life - choose to listen to nature's broadcast - the voice of earth....

• Hospitals don't generally give out trance inducing substances anyway, and many contemporary doctors know virtually nothing about them.

On the 'safelty' side you could end up catching MRSA or something worse too. Far more of a a danger than that presented by magic mushrooms for instance.

The only person qualified to give me trance inducing drugs is me. May it ever remain that way.

Exactly! :D

• sorry i didnt mean to sound like i didnt agree with trance states as i use these techniques myself. I agree on the fact that as long as it is done safely and with caution and research then it can be a usefull too. also a hospital is DEFINATELY the last place i would want to take any type of psychoactive substance.