Got Dreads?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• So i was thinking of getting some dreads but not too sur if my hair quite long enought yet..

its probly bout 4''ish now. Do i have to wait longer?

know of the best way to get narliey dreads?
    any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

peace and love

Rowan+ :hippy:

• Quote from Rowan+

know of the best way to get narliey dreads?
    any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I've found a lazy attitude towards dredd maintenance does that rather well :rolleyes:

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Don't brush, comb, condition... just let it be and watch the mayhem unravel

Except it'll actually like...knot up rather than....you know...unravelling.

There's also the back combing method but I'd say that leaving it up to nature will make the whole dreading process more of an experience.

Oh yeah, and if you go for it, don't use wax on 'em. Ever. Ever. Seriously important.

• Quote from jenni

Oh yeah, and if you go for it, don't use wax on 'em. Ever. Ever. Seriously important.

Eek, why's that? I got told to wax them twice a week at least!
    Of course I'm lazy, so I don't :whistle:

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Where do you think the wax ends up?

It hangs around and transforms your beautiful dreads into horrible mutant creatures from beyond the stars... they will kill us all!

If it gets inside them it could go kinda off and 'twould not bode well.

• erm right-t-o, don't want any space mutants here please.

Gonna try the more laid back approach

*now furisly doing nothing, dreads forming*

• I have them, all i did was back comb thema little bit really with the help of my wonderful assistant fleassy and then left them to it. I didn't wash them for just over a month aswell and now only wash them as and when i feel like it (generally its like once a week or one every two weeks depending on how i feel) with natural soap which is good for my scalp. Takes its time because i didn't heavily back comb them really, they just looked like fluffy hair and weren't distinguishable for quite a few months. But if you don't have that kind of patients then, backcombed them heavily and leave them to it. Remember to keep an eye on them thought they have a tendency to get excited on your head and start growing together. Just wrip them a part ( don't cut them ) and don't use wax. If you want to seperate a few i'd suggest using some wool or hemp to wrap around the routes, not elastic bands :)

Hope i have been of use! Need to know anything more, should i be able to help with it i gladly shall!

"Once a gift is stirred within us it is up to us to develop it" The Gift - Lewis Hyde

• What type of hair do ya have? my hair dreadifies really easily cos of being all thick and curly, but i don't think it would be as easy just going natural if it wasn't.

• well my hair isn't curly{at all} but when i do wash it i end up with one huge matt, lol

someone else recommended just wrapping them and leaing it for a few weeks (under a woolie hat) Might try that. Got me a new hat today soo What not.!!

cheers for all your advice and you may even recieve a Pm if all goes sardine-shaped..

Rowan+

• Can you send me a picture of your hair Rowan+ want to see how it all goes! What your planning sounds like a plan, what do you plan to wrap them in? Don't leave them wrapped to long or it gets difficult to remove the wraps, but it'd be okay for a month or so! Send updates, before, when wrapped etc.. it's always great to see these things!

"Once a gift is stirred within us it is up to us to develop it" The Gift - Lewis Hyde

• ok so what shampoo/soaps do people use and are they easy to get off like the highstreet or do you have to go to some fancy shop?

and whats the conclusion on wax?

and why not use elastic bands??

(sorry about all the questions :))

• Altho its possible to dread short hair id definately recomend wiating till its a little longer for the basic reason they hold in so much easier.My dreads were createrd by backcombing and rolling altho sometimes i wish id let them dread totaly by themselves!its always good to see new dreadys in the world so good luck with your journey!

Many dreadlocked rastafari sparkles:D x

• hey rowan+

everyone has their own do's and dont's when it comes to dreads! the fact is what works for one person won't necessarly work for someone else as people have different hair types. you may find you try a few different methods before you find one that suits your hair type and the way you want to maintain it. i tried the backcombing and leaving it method on my first set of dreads but they never really took. there is also the option of just plaiting it and leaving it and the new hair that grows will dread up. here's the method that worked for me on my second set and i will be using it again in the spring for my third set (you can do this from 2inches or so)

1. section off your hair into what will be your dreads - you can choose really thick, skinny or somewhere in between. remember the thinner they are the more there will be and so the longer it will take to do this.
    2. backcomb and twist them into dreadlike locks.
    3. melt some beeswax in a saucepan (available from most hardware stores £1 a bar)
    4. as carefully as you can (hot wax burns the scalp!) put the wax onto the locks to keep them in their dreadlocked form (the wax will cool, set and go hard)
    5. wait a few months as the beeswax gradually falls out and the locks dread up properly!

as i said this worked really well for me but i know other people would never use this method! the downside is that it can look quite weird for a while with dried whitish wax stuck to your hair but you can wear a hat to get over this! also it can be pretty uncomftable to sleep on for a few weeks, again the hat helps!

i have never used normal hairwax to dread up with but have used it afterwards on them and didn't find it a problem. definatly only use soap for a while when you do wash your hair. coconut oil (available from afro hair shops) is useful once dreads are established, helps stops them drying out and your hair will smell lovely! personally i wouldn't waste my money on products especially marketed for dreads, only because they seem more expensive than other alternatives.

hope this helps and welcome to the dread family :hippy:

• I use knotty boy dredd wax ... I tried beeswax, but it always set between the pan and my head so I just ended up with waxy fingers :o

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• New dreads = maintanance

unless you have curly hair & they lock up naturally....you have some work to do....

You will find your way no dout...if not get yourself to Brighton as i do locks:waves:

• Quote from Firinne

I tried beeswax, but it always set between the pan and my head so I just ended up with waxy fingers :o

hehe i used a warm spoon!

• Quote from samsimillia

hehe i used a warm spoon!

Ahhhh, so that's the secret! :o

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Quote from Dandy

I have them, all i did was back comb thema little bit really with the help of my wonderful assistant fleassy and then left them to it. I didn't wash them for just over a month aswell and now only wash them as and when i feel like it (generally its like once a week or one every two weeks depending on how i feel) with natural soap which is good for my scalp. Takes its time because i didn't heavily back comb them really, they just looked like fluffy hair and weren't distinguishable for quite a few months. But if you don't have that kind of patients then, backcombed them heavily and leave them to it. Remember to keep an eye on them thought they have a tendency to get excited on your head and start growing together. Just wrip them a part ( don't cut them ) and don't use wax. If you want to seperate a few i'd suggest using some wool or hemp to wrap around the routes, not elastic bands :)

Hope i have been of use! Need to know anything more, should i be able to help with it i gladly shall!

im the type of person to get something, then decide i don't want it anymore, hence why i have quite a few holes in my face through my piercing phases!
    i'd love dreadlocks, but if i get fed up with them how do i get rid of them. someone i spoke to once told me to just comb them through with conditioner, very painful, but it works apparently. or would i have to shave my head. what do you think?:eek:

• I got rid of my first set of dreads last summer after being horribly infested with headlice. I went with the plait it and leave it approach and my hair after about 6 weeks was properly dreaded near the roots and my locks were really starting to take shape. It's really hard to get rid of lice in baby dreads let alone what it must be like in well established dreads - my mate Hannah just lost her 4 year olds 'cos of headlice and not being able to get rid :( We cut Hannah's dreads off but I was able to comb mine out - took 4 hours and an entire bottle of conditioner and my scalp has only just recovered in terms of tenderness... i definatley wouldn't recommend anyone combing out well established locks - would fucking kill!!! :mad:
    Am hoping Dawn can get my second lot of dreads going very soon :D
    I'm giving my hair a helping hand anyway by not using any conditioners and a teatree and mint shampoo. I want to get some tea-tree oil stockpiled before I get my next set of dreads because this was the one thing that seemed to be most effective on the lice - it was just not having enough of the stuff to soak my head in.
    I'd recommend the plaiting technique to anyone not wanting to put any wax in and not prepared to go for the whole backcombed thingy. Its a really natural way of dreading as it requires no effort at all other than someone helping to braid your hair initially. I found making the braids of varying thickness and wrapping some with strings and wools made my hair look a bit more special than just braided and wrapping really helped knot my hair up near the roots. It also keeps your hair quite tidy initially although after about 4 weeks or so you'll find you don't really have anything much to plait as your locks are so beautifully knotty. Top Tip.. there is a water based head lice treatment available comes in a bottle and is like single cream - its fucking brilliant at knotting up your locks :D Really did my dreads a world of good when I used it just unfortunatley weren't strong enough to get inside the formed bits of dread.
    Anyhoo hope some of that is helpful :)
    Love n Sunshine
    Sarah xxx

• I really sorry mate i can't remember - seem to remember the box was white with red writing and it was definatley not alcohol based - I asked for one good to use with really sensitive and broken skin ;) happy dreading and lookin forward to seein some pics :D

• you can get rid of headlice, my friends had them a few times and never got rid of her dreads. shes got them at the moment actually :S *hides head*

she uses Quazia, but she's also used loads of otehr stuff like parafin (yuuuuck1!) and loads of other things. Also two of my other friends who are dating both got lice and got rid of them with quazia

• Quote from Dandy

with the help of my wonderful assistant fleassy

:mad: AHEM!! your ASSISTANT!? i think you'll find i sat there for f****** hours dreading those babys up!!

• my apologese... i think you'll find its meerly a figure of speech don't take things to heart... you made them.. well done you.

• A mate of mine and Ma-Craps used to have bad headlice. He killed them all off with parrafin and some ammonia anti lice shampoo stuff. Didnt get rid of the dredds fir a year afterwards but he did have a nest of dead eggs stuck in his hair :vomit:

• Quote from Dandy

my apologese... i think you'll find its meerly a figure of speech don't take things to heart... you made them.. well done you.

:eek: ...was only joking about.... sorry :(