Got Dreads?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I love dreadlocks.

Admittedly, my dreads appeared when I was 15, as I wanted to grow my hair but it was too curly and dreaded naturally.

Friends of mine use crochet ooks on their dreads to feed stray bits of hair back in when it comes out - I don't have this problem, as my dreads seem to have a life-force of their own. Also, the more working you do with them, it loosens the roots and can make the dreads fall out. If it's just a short term thing, though, you might want to do it, as it makes them look neater (Dreads? Neat? I don't get it, either...)

I rinse mine with clear water every couple of days, squeezing them to rinse them right through and get all the gack* out of it, but if I really need to wash them, I tend to squeeze a couple of lemons in a tub with some sea salt and let them soak and then rinse it all out - it's quite bizarre the colour that comes out, sometimes.

*(I once had to define the term gack to a Polish person. I related it to scuzzy gunge)

As for nits, I have it on good authority that if you get a small bottle of vodka, some tea tree oil and a load of cinnamon together, this kills the nits (sorry to the vegans) and also removes the eggs. The cinnamon breaks down the shell, the vodka kills them, and the tea tree oil washes it out.

And in case you missed it, I love dreadlocks.

***peace***

• Quote from monkey monkey

As for nits, I have it on good authority that if you get a small bottle of vodka, some tea tree oil and a load of cinnamon together, this kills the nits (sorry to the vegans) and also removes the eggs. The cinnamon breaks down the shell, the vodka kills them, and the tea tree oil washes it out.

cheers for that monkey - will remember that for next time I get lice whether head is dreaded or not :) I was also told by a rasta friend of mine who has dreads down to his ankles that fresh lime juice in great abundance is good for killing the lice. I think its not killing them thats so much a problem is getting in to kill all the lice eggs and also removing the lice eggs once they are dead :vomit: I guess if people are cool carrying round lice graveyard city on their heads then its only a cosmetic problem - gah gotta leave this thread now - can't stop scrattin my head :insane: