Boom Festival

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I started a thread on this one a while back but its disappeared into the ether. Anyway, tickets are on sale at the moment, and the site is up here http://www.boomfestival.org/boom2008/index.php

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get there from the UK without flying? I definitely want to go, but can't afford £250 for a plane ticket. Might be time for some interesting rail adventures!

• Quote from melyn

or alternitavly you could get you corset and absinthe back out for another shot a hitch hiking :arr:

Argh no! My internal organs are never going to feel the same again!
    :wheel:

(pirate smilies rock!)

• Yay...i can't wait to book my ticket....got to wait 'till the boyfriend has some money, but if he hasn't by the 20th feb i am booking with out him....

I got the plane last night and it cost me nowhere near 250 quid...more somewhere round 120 ish...

• Quote from Kaiya

Yay...i can't wait to book my ticket....got to wait 'till the boyfriend has some money, but if he hasn't by the 20th feb i am booking with out him....

I got the plane last night and it cost me nowhere near 250 quid...more somewhere round 120 ish...

Really? Where did you get it from? All the searches I've done are coming up with £250+

• Quote from Sthenno

Argh no! My internal organs are never going to feel the same again!
    :wheel:

(pirate smilies rock!)

Yarr!! Ye cod take ship n' sail the seas :wheel:

I'm pretty sure you can gett a ferry to Portugal for around £80 :pirates: Yo ho ho n' a bottle of rum (No absinthe, I promise :whistle:).

• Quote from melyn

(No absinthe, I promise :whistle:).

Ah no, the absinthe's fine. T'were the corset I'm never going near again.

Ferry sounds like a good 'un, spect I could hitch from Bilbao. Anyone else likely to be doing anything similar? I've hitched alone before but never that kind of distance, might be good to be with someone else.

Oh, and YARRRRRRRRRR, obviously.

The pirate smilies are very topical, I'm just in the process of planning Ye Olde Annual Devonian Pirate Party - whoop! Grog and sea shanties at the ready!
    :flag:

• yeah i went years ago thinking i was gonna get a cheap flight out and it cost me £300

'You have not seen a real women, untill you have seen a beautifal hippy girl dancing bare foot in a field'

• national express isn't to expensive. hitching is even cheaper! flying trashes the planet anyway.....go by coach!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Quote from stardust

national express isn't to expensive. hitching is even cheaper! flying trashes the planet anyway.....go by coach!

Yeah, I don't really want to fly for that reason, but can you get a coach to portugal?!

• you can get a coach to india if you look in the right places!!!

there's coaches everywhere.

clickety click!!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Quote from Sthenno

Really? Where did you get it from? All the searches I've done are coming up with £250+

Erm i can't remember what airline it was, i can ask my dad though he booked my tickets....it was a budget airline from stanstard (sp?) airport. We booked about 2 months in advance. I think I will be flying this year again..and i cant afford that much for the flights either so i will let you know what i find. (or my dad finds he is good at finding these cheap things)

according to my dad we flew easy jet last year

also he says he has been looking for me and he reckons bmi baby tickets to lisbon from Birmingham are at about 110 quid currently.

• Quote from stardust

you can get a coach to india if you look in the right places!!!

there's coaches everywhere.

clickety click!!

Thank you! Unfortunately can't get it to find the journey, despite using various different destinations in Spain/Portugal from where I could hitch... am I being thick?

• I'm not posotive at the moment, but i've been seriously considering going to boom this year n' if I do i'll definatly be hitchin', could always detour to Bilbao if you didn't wanna go it alone. Can't reliably say i'll be going at this point though, I barely know where i'm gonna be next month.

{Insert token "Yarr" here} ... I can't get enough of this pirate jazz :ptype:

• this is the europe page but it only has timetables up till march 31st at the mo.

• Quote from Kaiya

Erm i can't remember what airline it was, i can ask my dad though he booked my tickets....it was a budget airline from stanstard (sp?) airport. We booked about 2 months in advance. I think I will be flying this year again..and i cant afford that much for the flights either so i will let you know what i find. (or my dad finds he is good at finding these cheap things)

according to my dad we flew easy jet last year

also he says he has been looking for me and he reckons bmi baby tickets to lisbon from Birmingham are at about 110 quid currently.

Thank you for the info! As I said I'd rather not fly if I can find another alternative, so if you find flights too expensive I can always let you know what I work out in the end. No doubt it will involve an obscenely complicated mass of trains, buses and lifts from strangers... it usually does :)

• this is not a promise in any way shape or form, but if the weather in the uk is shit again then it's a possibility that my minibus may be making it's european debut and if there was enough of us to split the fuel that could work. i want the festie crew bus idea to take off, but another summer like last years rainy season will send me insane!!

• Quote from melyn

I'm not posotive at the moment, but i've been seriously considering going to boom this year n' if I do i'll definatly be hitchin', could always detour to Bilbao if you didn't wanna go it alone. Can't reliably say i'll be going at this point though, I barely know where i'm gonna be next month.

{Insert token "Yarr" here} ... I can't get enough of this pirate jazz :ptype:

Cool, well if you do decide to, definitely give me a shout. (Sorry, a "yarrrr!") I only really said Bilbao as I think that's where the ferry's go... trying to work this all out is giving me a headache!

• Quote from stardust

this is the europe page but it only has timetables up till march 31st at the mo.

Thanks Stardust. I tried replacing my journey times with March dates but still no luck, 'tis no doubt my crappy computer skills! Will go into a National Express office and ask.

• Quote from stardust

this is not a promise in any way shape or form, but if the weather in the uk is shit again then it's a possibility that my minibus may be making it's european debut and if there was enough of us to split the fuel that could work. i want the festie crew bus idea to take off, but another summer like last years rainy season will send me insane!!

Hear, hear. I'm still finding bits of mud from Glade to this day! Well if you guys do decide to do that, I'd certainly be up for contributing fuel money and quite possibly cake towards a trip to Boom.
    :pdance:

• oooh cake....chocolate fudge cake?

that could swing the desision a bit!

• Quote from stardust

oooh cake....chocolate fudge cake?

that could swing the desision a bit!

Yup. With prrrroper Devon fudge!
    :pdance:
    (sorry, I just love that dude...)

• Quote from Sthenno

Thank you for the info! As I said I'd rather not fly if I can find another alternative, so if you find flights too expensive I can always let you know what I work out in the end. No doubt it will involve an obscenely complicated mass of trains, buses and lifts from strangers... it usually does :)

i think we are planning on flying purely because we are going to another festival first and would have only a day to make our way there...flying seemed the most logical option.

If i change my mind though or really can't afford it i will let you know :)

Well have to meet up anyway when were there some how....anyhoo

• I still cant understand why it costs so much to get to portugal.. we just got a flight for 80 quid to go to budapest

'You have not seen a real women, untill you have seen a beautifal hippy girl dancing bare foot in a field'

• Quote from moonpup

I still cant understand why it costs so much to get to portugal.. we just got a flight for 80 quid to go to budapest

Not sure... maybe something to do with it being August and school summer holidays?

• Quote from Sthenno

Not sure... maybe something to do with it being August and school summer holidays?

dam kids :bones:

• Does anyone have (or know someone who does) any working opportunities for this festie? I'm not sure if i'll be going yet, so paying for a ticket seems like a bit of a commitment (although I suppose I can sell it on if I don't want it) but i'd like to explore other options aswell, any ideas, help welcome :)

• wooohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boom about 30 peeps i know going well close friends, none of us flying we are going in our vans!
    hellllllllll yea sistaaaaaaaaa!!!!
    So yea it`s all well and good flying over but then from the airport you have to get on the boom shuttle bus for some good hours that actually takes u to the site idana na hova.
    Gonna be phat as i cant bloody wait, savin our money like hell this year to go to booms 10th anniversery festival,
    wow!

• Hello, thanks for reminding me about boom, if i can get a farm and dog sitter i will go for a day or two.

August is the holiday month here, and most of the ex pat portuguese ( and there are many) come back to their villages for festas, always a very expensive time to travel.

Coach from uk is very possible, just get to paris coach station, and direct (ish) buses (one change) to alot of places in porto. Train is fantastic, but not cheap, though waking up in a sleeper train, coming through the mountains is special.

Coincidently, have some biker mates from manc who visiting in august, if you not adverse to riding pillion with people who your parents probably warned you against, and their personal hygiene is questionable, but hearts of gold.

Anyone going to the after party, it is ten km from here and have park up places with leccy, for two vans, minimo.. and a spare caravan, prolly. Though if anyone visiting I demand a gnome, cant get them here.

August is always my favourite month