Positions When Sleeping.......

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• At present I tend to sleep on my side, but that is creating a bad back because I curl up. So now I am trying to sleep on my back to avoid this problem, but I am not used to it. When I go to sleep I can fall asleep on my back but if I wake up in the middle on the night, I tend to flip over and get back into the fetal position.

Has any one got any tips on how to avoid sleeping on my side??? maybe there are some ladies out there which have snoring husbands which may know about forcing people to sleep in certain positions???

Thanks If You Can Help..............

'You have not seen a real women, untill you have seen a beautifal hippy girl dancing bare foot in a field'

• I reccon you can train urself to sleep in a certain position. I think i've done it before.......i'll explain....

crazy as it sounds wen i was younger, i thought that my shoulders were getting to hunched, and blamed it on sleeping curled up. So i desided i'd sleep on my side but with my hands held together behind my back!!!! I know its crazy...and it didn't last, any how my point is - for a while i did learn to sleep like it and find it reasonably confortable. I just kept repossitioning myself every time i changed position in my sleep.

I don't know if that will help? but my generally advise is keep at it, you can do it :xgrin:

• i'm trying to train myself to sleep on my back rather than my side too... it is so hard isn't it! i've been trying for about a year now i think, may be more. i think i'm finally breaking through though and very occasionally have woken up and been on my back. So stick at it.

Hehe, Ruthie that sounds fantatic, training yourself to sleep with your hands behind your back. i might have a go...

• i always sleep on my side, but i figured that would always be very handy if i was to get pissed up because you're less likely to drown in your own vomit...

but, um... maybe put pillows down the sides of you so you dont want to roll onto them?

• I did the opposite. After a very bad sleep paralysis experience about ten years ago, I've only slept on my back about five times. Most of those led to sleep paralysis experiences too, though that's a story for another thread.

Try tucking the corners of your sheets under the mattress tightly, slipping in between them and sleeping on your back like that. You can even find clips that go under the bed to keep undersheets tight; try using those. It should give some resistance against you moving onto your side, I reckon.

• ive had to train myself to sleep on different sides etc, mainly due to painful piercings!
    but anyway,i found it took me much longer to get to sleep lying on the 'wrong side' and when i rolled over in my sleep to what was comfy id keep waking up and have to force myself back to how i wanted to sleep..it was very annoying for a while but after so long i think i annoyed myself so much i just slept how i was trying to!

• I've heard of a couple of things which are supposed to stop you sleeping on your back - suggested to stop snoring.

The first one is to get a bra and 2 tennis balls. You put the bra on back to front, and put the tennis balls in the cups. This makes it uncomfortable to lie on your back, so you roll on to your side.

The second one is to sew a cotton reel to the back of the waistband of your pyjama trousers. Again, it makes it uncomfortable to lie on your back.

Now obviously the first suggestion isn't going to work, but what about a variation of the second? If you wear pyjama trousers (or underpants) when you're in bed, you could fasten something hard and lumpy to the side of them to stop you rolling on that side.

• Whenever I try to sleep on my back I have dreams of falling or crashing into things or slipping, its very strange.

I'm with sewing lumpy things to you sides, that or sleeping in a very tight box making it impossible to roll :rolleyes:

• i sleep in so many positions, my mum once said i spend more time moving while i'm asleep than i do when i'm awake.

• Thanks for the tips peeps.. I will probably attach something lumpy to my side as suggested!! either cotton roles or marbles...........

'You have not seen a real women, untill you have seen a beautifal hippy girl dancing bare foot in a field'

• Quote from melyn

Whenever I try to sleep on my back I have dreams of falling or crashing into things or slipping, its very strange.

My hubby gets terrible nightmares and wakes up quite quickly if he sleeps on his back. Which is good for me cuz he only snores when he's on his back lol .

• Quote from moonpup

At present I tend to sleep on my side, but that is creating a bad back because I curl up. So now I am trying to sleep on my back to avoid this problem, but I am not used to it. When I go to sleep I can fall asleep on my back but if I wake up in the middle on the night, I tend to flip over and get back into the fetal position.

Has any one got any tips on how to avoid sleeping on my side??? maybe there are some ladies out there which have snoring husbands which may know about forcing people to sleep in certain positions???

Thanks If You Can Help..............

Yeh, on the settee :xgrin:

• Quote from melyn

Have you tried sleeping on your front aswell? I find it quite comfortable if you can find the right position.

nah,cant sleep on front.. sometimes i turn over when i wake up for 10 mins but that is all i can handle........