Wheee! I made a hat! I made a hat!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• ...that's the weird facial expression I make when photographing myself, apparently. I missed out the little detail a bit - it's a chain-stitch bow with a button in the middle :)

And the wool isn't sparkly in real life, that's the camera flash.

I didn't use a pattern or anything!!! I made it up as I went along! I am sooooo chuffed with myself!

Anyway... bed now xxxxx

• Thats wicked. extra impressive since you have only just learned to crochet. well done babe it looks really great.xxxx

Turned on, tuned in, loved up, trippin out, freaky on the outside, shiny in the middle.

• I'm so jealous. When I attempted crochet it just ended up with me getting quite angry and violent with the needle...

This is really pretty though!

• ooooh princess of all things tigery and mousy thats FABULOUS!!!

have just embarked on my first crochet - a question, when you got to your second row of crochets (as opposed to the first chain row) did you pick up one loop of the crochet you were going into or both? i've seen vids that show one and both and i'm not too sure which to do...

• Quote from JPumpkin

ooooh princess of all things tigery and mousy thats FABULOUS!!!

have just embarked on my first crochet - a question, when you got to your second row of crochets (as opposed to the first chain row) did you pick up one loop of the crochet you were going into or both? i've seen vids that show one and both and i'm not too sure which to do...

both is stronger and thicker and usually done, one makes the peice thinner and a bit more flexible, and you get a line acorss, you'll see what I mean!

Generally I go through both, its also a lot easier and less fiddly. but on things like gloves or very decorative things, under one can be good too. Ooh and going through two makes it flatter, wheras the line when under one is a ridge!

hope that helps!

• ta naeni :) i think i know what you mean! i'm going through both as its a prototype headband to keep my ears warm (i dont wear hats) so the thicker and closer crocheted the better i think!

*goes back to cursing yarn and hook*

• Wow! That's great! Well done

Are you putting the hook through the whole loop when you stitch (so that you end up with two bits of wool over the hook) or just half a loop (so you only have one bit of wool over the hook). Looks like you are only putting it through half a loop which looks really cool but it can go really loose after you wear it for a while. I hope that makes sense

• I am very pleased with it :D

I am going through the whole loop I think... I am doing what it said in the basic stitch diagram in the thing Bunjies gave me, anyway!

I went to the craft shop for some more wool today and several people asked if I had made my hat, and how to do it! I couldn't tell them cos I don't know what I'm doing really, I am just playing.

Making my husband a red hat now :D

• that's truly amazing, hun. love your new hat. :D

patterns really suck sometimes, as i'm learning trying to do these poxy bunny slippers. *grrr* but well makes me learn how to freeform, which is good. :)

can't believe that was your first ever big project. looks simply lovely. :D

• Thank you!! I am ridiculously pleased with myself! Most of the people I know have become suitably bored with the damn thing today :D

Oooh, and my mum is really happy with the bag, so if you pop it on etsy I shall buy it on her behalf xx

• hun if i find anymore of that wool do you want it?
    i'm sure i got 4 balls from the charity shop but could only find 2 when i did yer parcel!

• Ooh, I just got the Happy Hooker book, and it's great! It's by Debbie Stoller and it teaches you how to read patterns, which is rather handy.

Nah seriously... you should have seen me trying to knit :eek: wasn't pretty, let me tell you.

• mite sound a bit of a mad question but in the book does it give you instructions to crochet right handed and left handed? im left handed and knit left hsnded but but all boomks tend to be in righ, my mum taught me to knit (also left handed)

• From what I can see at a glance (I haven't really read it yet) it seems to only teach the r/h method... but I can't get on with holding everyhting that way myself, so I invented my own awkward way of doing things.

• if i can crochet, anyone can crochet!!! only been at it a week and my muscle memory is already pretty good - i found it useful to try new stitches with big chunky string so i could see how each loop worked as part of the whole stitch...