Non-irritating natural deodorant?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• So, I've tried Lush's Aromacreme, and their solid deodorant - both definite no-no as they irritate my skin badly. Tried crystal and spray mineral deodorants which I can't use most of the time as I get eczema on my underarms which cracks and you can't use mineral deos on broken skin. I've tried Tom's of Maine (several of them) and have had no joy with them either as they are quite astrigent...

The only deodorant that hasn't irritated my skin is Dove, but I would prefer not to use it for ethical reasons...

Thoughts, anyone?! Getting desperate now...

• Thanks, Vee. I have never tried JASON deos, but I did use some of their facial wash which I found very drying, so I suppose that has put me off... they sell it in my local health food place, though, so it could be worth a try...

• i use a deodorant stone hun, i am a proper stinky bitch if i dont use anything. but this can keep me fresh for a full 24 hours INCLUDING dancing like an eejit at a levellers gig ;)

• Because you get bad exema so you're unable to use deos and the 'usual' stuff have you ever thought about asking you gp about the removal of sweat glands!

• Quote from bunjies

i use a deodorant stone hun, i am a proper stinky bitch if i dont use anything. but this can keep me fresh for a full 24 hours INCLUDING dancing like an eejit at a levellers gig ;)

Would you like you share with us the name of the stone that works for you and where to get it from!

• i read somewhere that stainless steel can act as a deordorant...i saw it ona website once, they sell a disc of it and you just rub it on your skin a couple of times a day and it removes odours... never tried it though.
    i use crystal deordorants, but i agree with you, they can be irritating if you have broken skin.

• Quote from Pixie

i read somewhere that stainless steel can act as a deordorant...i saw it ona website once, they sell a disc of it and you just rub it on your skin a couple of times a day and it removes odours... never tried it though.
    i use crystal deordorants, but i agree with you, they can be irritating if you have broken skin.

Yeah thats true some people use spoons! My mate has got this like metal pebble that some in a lovely oyster type shell case , althought i cant find it on the tinternet anywhere!

• Quote from freecloud

Would you like you share with us the name of the stone that works for you and where to get it from!

i can indeedy, mine is actually sold with the name 'deodorant stone' and i bought it for about £7 in the crystals shop in glasto (the crystal shop named crystals, next to the church, though you can prolly get it in the others.)

this isnt the same 'brand' as mine, but its the same stuff, and they do little try me stones for a couple of quid!
    http://www.deodorant-stone.co.uk/

they are ace!

(sorry princess, i didnt notice you said you cant use the mineral deodorants)

• im glad someone brought this up.

as ive started working again and being around porple that arnt used to smelly krustys i feel it may bee a good idea to use a deodrant of sorts.

the one im really intrested in is the crystal stick thingy i belive its could ?
    dont wont to use a brand name spray a thousend chemicals in the air deodrent and find soap based produts dry my skin so it feels tight can anyone sujest were i can go look for something hipy like and just tpo take the wiff off a llittle ??

• Quote from freecloud

Because you get bad exema so you're unable to use deos and the 'usual' stuff have you ever thought about asking you gp about the removal of sweat glands!

God no!!! My mother had this operation and the doctors accidentally snipped through an artery and nearly killed her :eek:

• surely its a case of tackling the exema (i know how persistant it can be) and then using something that works when you don't have dry skin?

• Quote from Perthite

surely its a case of tackling the exema (i know how persistant it can be) and then using something that works when you don't have dry skin?

Absolutely... but I'd prefer not to smell in the meantime!!!

Maybe I'll have to stick with Dove :( though I think I might try the Jason one.

• I've had all the same problems as you and end up just using Sanex which isn't what I would prefer to use but it is that, be in pain or be smelly! :(

• Quote from sunflower

im glad someone brought this up.

as ive started working again and being around porple that arnt used to smelly krustys i feel it may bee a good idea to use a deodrant of sorts.

the one im really intrested in is the crystal stick thingy i belive its could ?
    dont wont to use a brand name spray a thousend chemicals in the air deodrent and find soap based produts dry my skin so it feels tight can anyone sujest were i can go look for something hipy like and just tpo take the wiff off a llittle ??

i use the crystal thingy!
    when i finally get my arse in gear to come see you, i can go to glasto 1st and get one and bring it with me if you like.
    i always broke through my deodorants and ended up stinky after a couple of hours. but with this i can go a full 24 hours, even at a festy AND the hot flushes caused when a certain singer walks by:whistle:

• Quote from bunjies

i use the crystal thingy!
    when i finally get my arse in gear to come see you, i can go to glasto 1st and get one and bring it with me if you like.
    i always broke through my deodorants and ended up stinky after a couple of hours. but with this i can go a full 24 hours, even at a festy AND the hot flushes caused when a certain singer walks by:whistle:

brill that would be cool thanks as im now working lets make it a wend meet and hay with your hjelp ill be stink free lol

• i have craft fairs coming up in the next few weeks, but if i do reasonably well there i can get me a ticket to come see you in about a month? ish?