African Land Snails

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• We have a couple of these coming to live with us, from one of Gary's work colleagues. I know about the basic technical side of looking after them, but wondered if anyone had any personal experience they could share?

• We've got a plastic tank which we can attach heat pads to if need be... but normal room temperature should apparently be OK for them, as they are very adaptive and have been kept at room temp for their life so far.

• It might be ok, I surpose how warm your house is.
    I had some and was told they didnt need to be put in a heated tank and they died, but i reckon they were garden snails!

• yer mums got two firstly make shore of there sex best to have same sex mums had babys and i wont prononce on here wot she had to do.

small tank to start mums ant heated then expand as thay get bigger ill relay with ma and let you know if shes giot any more tips

• Yeah, I've been told they like cucumber and lettuce!

Theoretically they don't need heat pads. Just depends what they're used to, I think. Humidity's the important one I reckon?

I think we'll put them in a tank at room temp and see how they feel, and we can try using a lamp for gentle heat on cold days maybe, like with tortoises.

• y cousin has to look after some at the school she work(ed) at, she hated them, aparently the mate like fuck and you have to clean out the eggs? all the time.

• Stick them in a tank, use bark, compost, anything earthy will be fine aslong as it doesnt have loads of chemical fertilizers in it, keep the substrate damp but not wet. You can put whatever you want in the tank to make it look nice but remember the more you put in the more you have to clean. Food wise they will eat any vegetable (dont forget lettuce has very lil' nutritional content), good idea is to put a cuttlefish bone in too so they can have access to calcium to help their shells grow.
    You can mist them daily if you like but its not that necessary, a few times a week will be fine.

Hope that helps :p
    Andy

• They have arrived... and they are teeny, teeny babies!

And we ended up with three because one was hiding in the soil they arrived in. Mandy, Marmaduke and Michael. I hope they all grow and grow :)

• Quote from princesstigermouse

They have arrived... and they are teeny, teeny babies!

And we ended up with three because one was hiding in the soil they arrived in. Mandy, Marmaduke and Michael. I hope they all grow and grow :)

Awww what wicked names!! Heheheheh i can imagine one hiding away in the soil! Post piccies of them :) I LOVE Snails! They are the coolest type of mollusc on the planet! :)

• Quote from doodlebug

Awww what wicked names!! Heheheheh i can imagine one hiding away in the soil! Post piccies of them :) I LOVE Snails! They are the coolest type of mollusc on the planet! :)

Well, when they are a bit bigger I'll post pics... they are too teeny for my slightly rubbish camera to make a decent pic of atm!

• Hi I was given 2 landsnails about 8 months ago. They were teeny babies when we got them & now their shells are about 2 inches across, 4 inches long & their foot seems to fill my hand! They grow really fast in the first year.

They also don't start laying eggs until they are about a year old, but then they do lay lots of them, there are a couple of favoured ways of 'dealing' with the eggs. Seperation sounds a good idea, but I think they may be capable of self fertilisation, I'll have to check that one.

Mine are called Gary (after Spongebob's pet who miaows) & Brian (after the snail in the Magic Roundabout);)

• I had a snail in France once but I found it a bit chewy, had a nice garlic flavour though.:whistle:

But I never ate the ones in my fish tank even though they were Apple Snails, they died of old age.