Foot and mouth disease

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Am I missing something, or is the culling of animals with Foot and Mouth totally pointless?

Considering that there is no danger of transmission to humans, that the disease is rarely fatal and recovery is possible - can someone enlighten me why they slaughter infected animals with so much vigour? (apart from insurance reasons)

• Quote from Paul

Am I missing something, or is the culling of animals with Foot and Mouth totally pointless?

Considering that there is no danger of transmission to humans, that the disease is rarely fatal and recovery is possible - can someone enlighten me why they slaughter infected animals with so much vigour? (apart from insurance reasons)

Risk of transmission to other cattle.

• My ex used to work for DEFRA....

its a disease of cloven hoof animals..though hedgehogs and rats can get it too...it starts with a high fever..causes blisters in the mouth..(which make it difficult for the animal to feed)..and causes excessive drooling and stringy saliva..blisters appear on the feet which rupture causing the animal to go lame..it may also affects the heart muscles of the adult animal causing them to fit and die,but when passed onto a newborn animal it causes instant death..humans can catch it though cases are rare,children are more likely to catch it than adults....

so you see...it is highly contagious...

• my dad was a farmer and i can remember anybody coming in to the actual farming area had to wear wellies and stand in a trough of disinfectant
    it is highly contagious

the mortality rate in adult animals is around 5% whilst its 90% in young

whilst some animals can recover they cannot be sold and this causes great economic loss
    this is why there is the cull

another point if a feeding mother gets it she cant feed her young

• If an animal has foot and mouth, it has no value to the farmer. It cannot be sold for meat and or milk. It is better to try and contain it as much as possible and destroy the cows at risk than to risk the entire country's cow/sheep/pig population.

If the spread of foot and mouth is not controlled it is possible to destroy a country's economy.

• Quote from Paul

That's another bit I don't understand. If it can't be passed to humans then why can't it be used?

it can be passed to humans

• Quote from Paul

According to everything else I've read the risks are miniscule and the human version is pretty insignificant anyway.

don't believe everything you read...

it's still not a nice disease to catch...and WE can pass it on to animals

this recent outbreak has brought back a shed load of vile memories for me:cry:

• Quote from Paul

That's another bit I don't understand. If it can't be passed to humans then why can't it be used?

It can probably can be used but the public wouldn't want to buy meat if they thought it was from an ill animal for fear of catching something.

The reason that they won't vaccinate is because supermarkets won't buy meat or milk from vaccinated animals despite them being vaccinated against other illnesses. It's all about money! That and the vaccines are only 80% effective.

I should probably point out that until my dad retired a couple of years ago, he was one of the top vets at DEFRA which is who I am getting all my information from.

• Quote from sensamelia

people carry the virus around on shoes and clothing thus passing it from one animal to another
    it is very rare for a human to actually catch it and its called hand foot and mouth in humans

Actually, that's not true. Hand, foot and mouth disease is a different disease caused by a virus in the same family of virii that contains foot-and-mouth disease.

• And there is a vaccine! Surprisingly enough, the virus was released from the same place the vaccine comes from and Americans are involved. No way is it airbourne or water bourne

Looks like the USA got caught out on a money bender

Sue xx

• This foot-and-mouth thing is just crying out for a conspiracy theory: the people who make money from the vaccines accidently released the virus. Coincidence? Who knows? :calmdown:

• It's not a conspiracy MY brother is a PhD Microbiologist and he taught me alot

We'd love it to be a conspiracy but if the virus is the one the local labs have the vaccine for, they are gonna lose 1 million doses of it for free or die

The conspiracy theory comes into this as to 'are the cows and sheep' being injected with a vaccine +/- some other drug that will kill us all, or even slip[ a generation and kill our children :eek:

• Wow, thats a pretty extreme conspiracy theory. I mean, I don't even believe the one I put forward but that one is... y'know... :insane: still, I'm a veggie so it doesn't matter. You're not the reincarnation of Jesus, by the way, are you? :whistle:

• As I understand the situation, F&M simply causes livestock to lose weight and slowly waste away.As already stated it is fairly contagious within farm cows and sheep. Although there is no known risk to humans eating the flesh of infected animals -especially if cooked through there is a powerful and irresponsible media out there.