Live Earth

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Lets be concened by the way the world is now, lets get some high classes clebs and fly them in.
    Lets hire them a 4X4 to drive around the towns and then drive them to the love earth place in limos.
    Ohh and try and get a few quid of people to pay for all the crap these clebs need

• I have no interest in it but my pal texted me and said "it's like punk never happened". I had the radio on this morning and was getting fed up of hearing "celebs" talking about how they have low-energy light bulbs. Big Wow.

"The lovely thing about being 40 is that you can appreciate 25 year old men more" - Colleen McCullough I'm not 40 - I'm 18 with 22 years' experience!

• on the radio it said how its meant to tell people about dangers of climate change..yet theres people flying all over the world...not exactly helping to reduce the problem are they?

• Its utter bollocks :madlol:

Consumerism for the environment is like fucking for virginity :rolleyes:

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• i thought it looked kinda good, i think it gets people thinking about it, gives people a good time and it's nice to see positive things like this. I wish they focused a bit more on REAL ways to make a difference though, like renewable energy companies or ethical banking to sap money from Esso and Shell and that, i dunno, just things other than low energy light bulbs and not leaving the TV on standby... lol :)

• As a set of gigs its mediocre so far (yes its on in the background, wanted to see what it would be like) with the exception of Crowded House and Metallica....but as a means to address:

* Climate change - assuming human-caused climate change is an accurate theory, its hypocritical bollocks by a bunch of rich ozone burning twats that wont achieve anything

* Environmental protection - its trite gibberish that will do fuck all to address over-population and over-development

And thats before we get to a little fact that snuck out earlier....that 100,000 years ago the interglacial lasted 20,000 years (thats 10,000 years longer than the current one has managed) it was 6 degrees warmer (yes SIX!) and the greenland icesheet did not melt.... :rolleyes:

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Quote from Coyote

* Climate change - assuming human-caused climate change is an accurate theory...

Indeed, assuming: that humn contributions aren't too small to matter, that it's not about solar forcing, etc...

Quote from Coyote

its hypocritical bollocks by a bunch of rich ozone burning twats that wont achieve anything
    * Environmental protection - its trite gibberish that will do fuck all to address over-population and over-development

Agreed.

Quote from Coyote

And thats before we get to a little fact that snuck out earlier....that 100,000 years ago the interglacial lasted 20,000 years (thats 10,000 years longer than the current one has managed) it was 6 degrees warmer (yes SIX!) and the greenland icesheet did not melt.... :rolleyes:

Snuck?
    http://environment.newscientis…th/climate-change/dn11647, http://environment.newscientis…th/climate-change/dn11645
    and
    http://environment.newscientis…th/climate-change/dn11644

The rest here. It'snew scientist so it's not as rigorous as a proper journal but it includes enough detail for anyone not already committed to the "it ain't us doing it" camp.

Back on topic, however, I concur that these gigs do little to raise awareness and are stupendously hypocritical.

• It was badly publicized and I feel that no one even knew about it or what it was for. Nowadays, there are benefit and awareness concerts left and right and they're really starting to lose their value.

• The people who dont know or care about the environment are mainly likely to care about a bunch of crappy celebrities. If they just plant the seeds of am idea into the masses that it might be a good idea to actually start looking after the planet then surely that's a good thing.

There's no point targeting these things at hippies etc coz that would be like preaching to the converted.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain