juggling/poi/diabolo

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• i'm going to put this here as i'm guessing it would count as a performing art........

is anyone else into circus skills type things?

i can juggle clubs, fire and knives, and am up to 4 balls now. i love diabolo and do normal poi and fire poi.

i went to circus school and learnt flying trapeze and acrobatics, but i wouldn't say i'm particularly good at them!

so come on you lot......what do you do and what would you like to be able to do?

peace and love
    stardust
    xxx

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• I can do poi a bit and got fire and normal. Every festival i've ever been to i've been trying my best then somebody comes up politly asks for a go and then proves to be shit hot at it and make me look like a knob (usually a little kid too :o )

• Quote from Paul

I've got some fire poi and a fire staff ... i'm pretty bloody useless though so need to practice a bit more before I'm brave enough to actually fire them up.

Also, nowhere round here sells paraffin :(

i get my paraffin from petrol stations mostly. the first time i ever tried fire staff they were lit. it makes you more carefull!

though having said that, the first time i tried fire poi, i was completely pissed and, for me i think that was a better way to learn as i was far more confident. i think if i'd been sobre i would have been nervous, gone slower and ended up hitting myself and not trying it again!

peace and love
    stardust
    xxx

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• I do a bit of juggling :wiggle: I'm not that bad! I love practicing! Especially in the summer sun :)

:wiggle:Fact! - When the Hoff does press-ups he doesn't push himself up, he pushes the world down:wiggle:

• I can juggle three balls. I can do a few tricks with 'em, but not too much. I haven't practiced in...months.

The funny thing is, I tried two-ball juggling for years before I picked up the extra one. I could not do it. Three ball juggling seems to have a far more natural rhythm to it. I went from "drop them all over the floor" two-ball-juggling to "practicing juggling tricks while balancing a small child on nose" with three-ball. Anyone else experience this?

• I bought some poi in Glasto after watching an awesome performance by someone with fire poi and rope poi or something that looked like firey swords. I promptly tried learning and have learnt some moves but haven't actually been able to blend them into anything interesting... ;) advice would be VERY greatly appreciated if possible :hippy:

• Quote from PeacePiper

advice would be VERY greatly appreciated if possible :hippy:

http://www.homeofpoi.com/

http://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons/poi_lessons.php/poi/1 these are your basic instructions!

have fun! will be doing workshops at the easter gathering if there's enough interest!

• i can juggle 3 balls after a bit of practise refreshing my mind and lots of concentration!! i dont practice coz i cant be bothered... but i can do it...

i can ride a unicycle!!:D yeah

and diabolo i used to do loads... then just got bored coz no one would teach my any tricks...

i did a day long workshop with the circus doing juggling, unicycling, diabolo, and something else, cant remember what, when i was little, got me properly into it all!!

oh and since i was about 4, ive been able to spin plates on them stick things... well funny... actually that may have been the 4th thing with the circus... but that was when i was 11 i think

id like to learn poi... looks fun, and fire poi looks awesome when ive been at festivals in the middle of the night and out with my mate who does them...

theres talks on my uni myspace group of meeting up to juggle and poi and unicycle and get a proper circus thing going on!! could be funny if it gets off the ground!!

have fun! will be doing workshops at the easter gathering if there's enough interest!

I was hoping you'd say that :D

I'm afraid I know them :( I'm sure I'm missing something most other people have grasped easily without thinking. I know most of the moves there - I just can't link them up interestingly

• Quote from PeacePiper

I'm afraid I know them :( I'm sure I'm missing something most other people have grasped easily without thinking. I know most of the moves there - I just can't link them up interestingly

have you tried doing poi to music? anything fairly upbeat that you enjoy is good.

i used to be crap at linking things, then i started doing poi to music and just doing loads of random moves and throwing myself all over the place to the music then the moves just started linking themselves.

might be worth a shot.

have you tried doing poi to music? anything fairly upbeat that you enjoy is good.

Not really, I'll definitely give it a go. I have too many questions about poi so I'll just ask-How did you learn?

• Quote from PeacePiper

How did you learn?

very sunny day at summer solstice at avebury - big field - lots of people spinning things!!

just asked someone to show me, and they did. there were loads of people doing it and i really enjoyed it, so i bought a set of my own at avebury and never stopped spinning after that. just got people to teach me stuff.

i was like you though, and could never get the hang of linking moves. it was only when i did it to music that something finally clicked.

peace and love
    stardust
    xxx

• My housemate is learning poi and I plan on nicking off with them when the weather's better so I can stand in the carpark and make people giggle at how many times I thwack myself in the face. I nearly destroyed the kitchen as well as my face the last time I tried...

Does anyone know of any societies/clubs around and abouts? We're trying to find somewhere that can teach us, because I'm rubbish at learning from books. (Oh the irony...)

• Meet Sam, otherwise known as Half Brick, though he looks a bit different now as this was taken at Stonehenge 84. Anyway his brother Norbi (born 87) used to have moves you could learn at his website, well now there's no written stuff but there is a video. The exciting bit I must tell you, I found out tonite by checking his site....
    WOW....He's World Juggling Champion 2005:clap:http://www.norbithejuggler.co.uk/

Hope you don't mind if I throw some colourful pics into the thread

On the right, that's Norbi's dad playing guitar. Nite Club in Valencia 85

Sally of Green Roadshow, Rougham Tree Fayre, back in 83

There were twenty more balls high up in the sky, honest

Juggling 5 Glendas & 15 clubs, we were parked up on a beautiful little meadow by a river in the North of France

Pont Neuf, Toulouse. Don't forget you can always juggle people

Hey, if pics are a problem for bandwidth, PM me & I'll delete them

• hummmmm wow! i am learning poi. i got some stubby mouse ones but they were too short so i got the better ones. i'm way to commercial to make my own haha. just laziness really. not brave enough to attempt fire poi but ive got a few friends at college who do it. they breathe fire too. eeek. these are the same people..same person that shaved a full head of hair off and did a lot of crazy stuff and is repeating his 1st year because of the crazy stuff.

• I've got glow poi and uv reactive tailed poi and waiting for me fire poi to come from Thailand :woohoo:
    I been spinning for about 18 months and can do quite a few different moves and link them together and manage not to twat meself in the head too much. Spinning fire is a buzz I love :D

• Just got a message from Norbi

Quote from Norbi

Yes i did win a world championship, but i don't want everyone thinking i'm the best, so let me just explain something (although i doubt many of you care)....
    There are 3 prop categories (balls, clubs, rings) and then 3 levels in each prop (beginner, intermediate, advanced) Beginners are for 16 year olds and below. Advanced is for the best of the best (people doing TRICKS with upto 8 objects in their routine!!) Then there is the intermediate, which is for the rest of us. We're all at a very high level (well, we have to be to get invited to compete at the worlds) but just not quite in the upper echelon yet. I entered the intermediate ring category. So i am A world champion, not THE world champion.

Every year there's a European Jugglers Convention, last year about 3,500 jugglers attended in Slovenia. I went to one back in 83.
    Thing is, next years convention is in County Cork, Ireland, 9th to 15th July.
    So if you're looking for an excuse to go to Ireland for a while, there it is.

http://www.eja.net/

• i can juggle 2 balls and clubs, its fun :) and i can kinda ride a unicycle but i havent in ages actually and i can only go forward on it, staying still is really hard! i used to go to a circus skill club thing, i didnt really get taught anything, just practised.

whats poi by the way? cos your all talkin about it and i have no idea

• Poi is basically two weighted lengths of anything that you spin ... here is someone doing Fire Poi

It all started with Maori's who use Poi to strengthen their upper body and become more agile in their dance moves. It teaches co-ordination and fluidity of movement

This is what Poi essentially are... these are tailled poi.. you can make your own poi by putting about an ounce of rice in a sandwich bag and wrapping it up then putting that inside about three more sandwich bags then putting that inside a long stripy knee high sock.. tie a knot to hold your bag of rice in place and wrap the other end round your hands to get a good grip :)

• oh them, there well cool n look all pretty. i swear id whack mysel fin the head if i tried them though lol

• I can juggle but not brilliant as my hand to eye co-ordination is crap for it for some reason (mind you with more practice!!) but I have started learning poi, and used to go to a circus workshop where I learnt to do Diablo, which I love :0) I bought some light up poi which look dead cool :0) and I would love a fire diablo sometime!!

Stonesy does fire breathing, which I hope he will teach me in time hehehe!!

• i have really bad hand eye co-ordination cos im right handed but i have problems with my right eye so my left eye does most the work, but i cant still juggle so there is hope :)

• I recently treated myself to some glow poi they are awesome, it just helps when you havent got liquid around...

I havent lit my poi since i set fire to my hair in new zealand! it wasnt badly damaged just freaked the fuck outta me! :eek: i do basic moves with the fire stick! getting there..cant juggle or diablo for toffee & trapeeezz er no, havent mastered it!

• I was really into juggling up until the mid 90s and used to go to juggling conventions all over the country and regularly went to juggling clubs. I got up to 4 clubs, 5 balls (not all at once!), could ride a unicycle and did a bit of fire juggling and tried fire breathing, but gave that up as I didn't like the taste of parrafin in the morning! I also learned to do a few tricks with the diablo and did some club swinging but my favourite was the devil stick. Just before I stopped juggling seriously I started to learn contact juggling.

I also used to go to as many non animal circuses as I could. Archaos were the best. Did anyone ever see them? The last thing I saw was the Circus of Horrors.

• Quote from Spiral

I also used to go to as many non animal circuses as I could. Archaos were the best. Did anyone ever see them? The last thing I saw was the Circus of Horrors.

Oh yeah I remember them Spiral but didn't they get banned here for juggling chain saws :D There were other circuses like Snap dragon who were non animal hippi types too!!

• Don't remember them actually being banned, but I do remember that there was quite a bit of controversy about the chainsaw juggling - health and safety and all that :rolleyes: . Shame they disbanded. Cirque du Soliel are good too. I've seen them a couple of times on the telly, but not live. Next time they're over here I must go to see them.