tesco selling live turtles

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Well, I signed this but I have to say - I don't really see much distinction between this and petitioning Tesco to stop selling beef or pork or something... at the end of the day, the only difference is how visible the death is.

• Why does this country allow live lobsters and crabs to be sold so they can be boiled alive? If you dropped a live chicken or cow into a vat of boiling water you would be done for animal cruelty so how come we can do it to lobsters?

• the difference between the chinese and us brits is that the chinese don't bury their head in the sand about animals as food. they accept that animals die to make meat and don't have a problem with killing them. in that way i have more respect for them, even though they do treat animals appallingly, cos at least they're honest. it seem that brits want to shut out the fact that the meat they buy from a shelf was an animal that had a pretty miserable life before being killed. i have little respect for people who eat meat but can't kill an animal or want to pretend that meat grows on trees or something.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln

• Quote from starry_eyed

Tis why I like Quorn, tasty and guilt free!

All those poor little mushrooms though! :eek::D

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• :faint: They kill mushrooms to make those things?! Right! That's it! I'm going to boycott Quorn! :mad:

• Quote from John

:faint: They kill mushrooms to make those things?! Right! That's it! I'm going to boycott Quorn! :mad:

:confused:

Quorn is like water and Jasper Conran; utterly tasteless :D

Actually I quite like the stuff :) but we'd better get back on topic

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Quote from Atomik

Then again, so is a lot of meat without seasoning/sauce etc.

*checks this isnt the veggie section*

:)

Only crap meat or posh meat in my experience; chicken thighs, lamb, venison, pheasant, duck, pigeon and some cuts of beef have oodles of flavour! :D

• Quote from Coyote

Only crap meat or posh meat in my experience; chicken thighs, lamb, venison, pheasant, duck, pigeon and some cuts of beef have oodles of flavour! :D

I'm going to have to tell myself off for being off topic in a minute. :o

I'd disagree. I found most meats bland, regardless of the quality.

• Quote from Atomik

I'm going to have to tell myself off for being off topic in a minute. :o

I'd disagree. I found most meats bland, regardless of the quality.

You should try my homemade gamepie :reddevil:

But we are swimming far from turtleland :whistle:

• Quote from Atomik

I've tried all sorts. I'm not rabidly anti-meat. If I thought it tasted nice, I'd say so. For example, I can imagine enjoying a bit o' scampi and lemon. :o

Mmmmm scampi and lemon :D

Or tigerprawns in chilli and lemon sauce with some crustybread
    *drool*
    :D

• Quote from Coyote

Mmmmm scampi and lemon :D

Or tigerprawns in chilli and lemon sauce with some crustybread
    *drool*
    :D

Ah, the old "boring meat-eater drools over flesh in the stupid assumption that it'll offend veggies" routine. And people say that veggies can't discuss this stuff objectively.... :rolleyes:

• :mad: I hate the chines there evil there is loads live in my town and they dont bother learning English well they do know English they just choose not to speak it. Sorry to anyone i offend but thats just my oppion and what I have witnessed.

• Quote from Katie18

:mad: I hate the chines there evil there is loads live in my town and they dont bother learning English well they do know English they just choose not to speak it. Sorry to anyone i offend but thats just my oppion and what I have witnessed.

Doesn't that strike you as... well... a little bit arbitrary and racist?

• Quote from Katie18

:mad: I hate the chines there evil there is loads live in my town and they dont bother learning English well they do know English they just choose not to speak it. Sorry to anyone i offend but thats just my oppion and what I have witnessed.

:eek:if they dont speak English how do you know that they can speak it? And choosing not to speak or learn English hardly makes you evil -maybe a bit naughty or mischevious but Evil?:eek:

I've spent a fair bit of time around Chinese people in London and Manchester - they seemed a pretty mixed bunch to me.

Is there really a huge differance between selling turtles, dogs or sheep?

• there isnt that much difference...but in the uk its more the norm to eat cows and sheep etc...but for all peop[l;e to see turtles being like this its more outrageous cus we're not exposed to it on everyday levels so it seems more drastic and cruel..of course its not any more cruel than any use of animals for meat..but they still need helping

• Quote from starinthesky

there isnt that much difference...but in the uk its more the norm to eat cows and sheep etc...but for all peop[l;e to see turtles being like this its more outrageous cus we're not exposed to it on everyday levels so it seems more drastic and cruel..of course its not any more cruel than any use of animals for meat..but they still need helping

I kind of agree with you but rather than campaigning against something that is probably acceptable within the culture where its being done maybe we should be looking a little closer to home. How would the great British public respond if Indian Hindus were campaigning against the slaughter of cows in britain?

• Quote from Atomik

Does it appeal to you then? :eek:

Yeah I like to make suits out of it :D:D:D

Nah I mean, theres lots of unjust animal-ness...so many battles to fight but argh it just seems like it won't go anywhere..especailly when religion gets involved... what makes one animal worth saving more than another?

• ah halal. the government should have the balls to say look sorry but fuck your religion, it's unnecessary cruelty and we're not having it.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln

• Quote from Atomik

.... as opposed to poultry stun-tanks? :whistle:

well no, i'd ban as much animal cruelty as i could if some idiot put me in charge, but i was replying to the comment about halal specifically.

• Quote from ZZZZZ

well no, i'd ban as much animal cruelty as i could if some idiot put me in charge, but i was replying to the comment about halal specifically.

Yeah, but I think when halal gets brought up, people make the mistake of assuming that it's only other cultures that treat animals inhumanely. Hell, at least they have the excuse of religion. What do we have? Apathy?

• Trifle presumptious and sentimentalist of us I'd suggest.
    The reason animals are sold live is because they don't have freezer cabinets, kill it and its useless meat in a few hour.