death penalty... for animals

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• This has really really pissed me off and I can't really explain it..
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new…s/2007/06/20/wbear120.xml

Basically an 11 year old boy was camping with his family near Salt Lake City (Utah) and a black bear tore a hole in the tent and mauled him to death.

They then shot the bear.

It just seems unfair, that after thousands of bears we (mankind) have killed, it is a huge atrocity when it happens the other way round.

I don't mean to say I don't feel bad about/sorry for the boy and his family - it must have been a horrible way to die - but it seems so sad to kill it all the same.

Am I being too sentimental on behalf of the bear, or does anyone else reckon it was wrong?
    I think it's along the same lines as when a dog is put down after biting someone, but I dunno.

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• If its a wild bear then its a tragic addicnt. if they kileld it after self defence whatever fair enough its human nature, If they tracked the bear and killed it after etc yeah theres a porblem.

however with dogs eys its not their fault they have been raised badly whatever...but they are pet animals and if they are a danger I guess its the only way

• Seems to me that the idiots were thinking "oh it's a murderer" rather than considering that in all likelihood any other bear would've done the same... so killing the bear is stupid and you're better off... say... not camping near them :rolleyes:

• Quote from Naeni

if they kileld it after self defence whatever fair enough its human nature,

Yeap killing in self defense is fine, any animal would of done the same. Though if the bear ran off after killing their son then it does seem a bit silly, but if they shot in anger you can't blame them really.

"Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we can not eat money" - 19th Century Cree Indian.

• Depends on the situaton. If the animal is an active danger then it is understandable, for example; in the case of a pet dog or something. If they did it in self defense it is also understandable. If they tracked it then I don't really agree with them doing it...allthough I can understand why it happened seens as emotions must have been running high.

• I guess emotions were running high though...
    like if it wasn't for the law I am sure many people would do the same to humans that had killed their son....

I don't think their actions were right at all...but I can see why they did it I guess...

• I sometimes think what would I do if a fox came and slaughtered all my piggies...

If I went in there and I saw a fox standing there surrounded by corpses my emotions would probbaly get teh better or me and I would go for it, but I'm pretty weak so I'd probabaly just try and grab it or soemthing..

But logically thinking, its not the foxes fault it's mine for not keeping them secure enough. Logically.

If that makes sense.

• I gotta say if they were camping in the animals enviroment and invading its terroitory (sp) then yeah the animal has a right to kill it

after all if they were in a house and the animal walked into its house they would kill it !!!!!!!!!!

maybe people should remember natural instincts

• We had a squirrel given the death penalty over here, there was a mad hunt for it, they eventually got the poor little critter.
    Not sure how the hell it got here in the first place though, we don't have squirrels and it's not like it it could've just crossed a border really is it.

• Quote from starry_eyed

We had a squirrel given the death penalty over here, there was a mad hunt for it, they eventually got the poor little critter.
    Not sure how the hell it got here in the first place though, we don't have squirrels and it's not like it it could've just crossed a border really is it.

Wow really? Why.....

• no i dont think you are being sentimental .. they were on the bears turf .. the bear only did what comes naturally and they shouldnt have camped there with small children ... the bear wasnt more aggressive than other bears .. its not a domestic animal ... it probably wouldnt do it again .. i bet it was just scared and prob wouldnt go near another human anyway after that .. its harsh

• i know wat you mean elfqueen like wen you hear dogs have bitten peoples faces and they get put down,

I thought I saw your name on a loaf of bread the other day...then saw it said Thick Cut :thumbup:

• lol nah i dont mean i feel for em but chances are it aint their faults, its the owners or trainers mostly, but sum animals are pretty untrainable sumtimes

I thought I saw your name on a loaf of bread the other day...then saw it said Thick Cut :thumbup:

• I think it was given the death penalty (the squirrel that is) because we don't have squirrels here and it would do something to some native tree!?

I could be wrong, but I think that's right.
    The judge that gave it the sentence is a right tosser, he called Moyle and he's a noted alcoholic!

• Quote from starry_eyed

I think it was given the death penalty (the squirrel that is) because we don't have squirrels here and it would do something to some native tree!?

I could be wrong, but I think that's right.
    The judge that gave it the sentence is a right tosser, he called Moyle and he's a noted alcoholic!

yeah that's dumb, couldn't they have just taken it back to the mainland?!?

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• Quote from elfqueenofrohan

Am I being too sentimental on behalf of the bear,

A little - its a perfectly normal response to kill something that is threatening your family (or which has just killed a member of such)

or does anyone else reckon it was wrong?

Its not "wrong" as such but it is arrogant to assume folks can go anywhere they like in the wilds.

I mean personally I cheer for the bears when they do this thing (because humanity has done so fucking much to take away the wild places) but it is understandable for the people involved to have reacted this way. Hopefully next time the bears will eat all of them :D

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."