Threatened to be thrown out of a station for taking pictures

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Last Sunday we went to Euston Station to collect my sister who was coming down from Scotland. I had my camera and thought a couple of shots of the platform would be quite cool. I also intended to grab a couple of my sister as she got off the train.

I walked down to the platform and started to shoot (high ISO, no flash) Within 5 minutes a man in railtrack uniform approached me and told me that photography was banned on the rail network. :eek:

I replaced my lens cap, told him I didn't know ... and then asked him who he was and why there were no signs saying so, I also asked if he could point me towards the station bylaws so I could check.

(This conversation is kinda abridged, but you'll get the idea)

Him - "I'm the station manager and I'm telling you to not take photos"

Me- "All I want is to see the bylaws to see where it is written"

hiim - "If you don't stop I will call the police and have you removed"

Me - "I have stopped, but where does it say that it is banned?"

At this he started waving his arms at me and brought his face right up to me.

Him - "Just fuck off with your attitude or I will remove you myself" :eek:

Me - "Excuse me? Are you threatening to assault me?"

At this he got on his radio and signalled for help

Him - "I am with him now and he is refusing to stop taking photos"

Me - "But I have stopped."

Him - "You are telling me that you will not stop"

Me - "No, I am just asking you to clarify the station bylaws - Anyway, have you got any ID, I want your name?

Him - "Are you my friend? Why do you want my name. You are being abusive now get out of here."

Me - "I'm going to make a complaint against your threatening behaviour."

Him - "It is you who is being threatening" (he was shouting at me, I was being quiet)

He turned round and walked off. I decided to leave it; We were meeting my sister and the last thing I wanted was to get dragged off the station by some jumped up jobsworth.

Anyway, When we got home I did a search for the rail network bylaws.

This is what I found.

Quote from National Rail Enquiries

Photography
    Taking photographs on stations is permitted providing it is for personal use. For any commercial photography, prior permission must be sought from the appropriate train operator or, from Network Rail at their 17 major stations. On busy stations the use of a tripod may cause a dangerous obstruction to passengers and you may be asked not to use one. In addition, tripod legs must also be kept away from platform edges and behind the yellow lines. Flash photography on platforms is not allowed as it may distract the attention of train drivers and train despatch staff and is therefore a potential safety hazard. You are also not allowed to take photographs of security related equipment such as CCTV cameras."

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/…_for_rail_enthusiasts.htm

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/777.aspx

Like I said, I wasn't using flash, I did not have my tripod and I did not snap any security equipment.

I've emailed a complaint and so far heard nothing, that was just under a week ago. :rolleyes:

Oh and these are my dangerous security risk photos :rolleyes:

ukhippy.com/attachment/1657/

three.jpg

• If they don't reply to your email send a letter by recorded delivery, and if they ignore that i'd start ringing up to chase them up.

Don't let this drop though - especially given the "managers" attitude!

• woah, you must be sooo scouting the place to bomb it lol. I get why they say it, i don't get why you had to be abused by some arse with a major chip cause he didn't get laid till he was 40. You complaining then? btw, i think that 1st piccy looks really cool!

• ARE YOU IDIOTS.........WE ARE ALL POTENTIAL TERRORISTS

1) if persons (train spotters)are on a station spotting all day then are they not in more of a position to see any potential security risk or suspect activaty more than the staff and police?
    2)the more ppl looking out for terrorist wazacks the better i thought and the potential for a spotter to capture on cam any suspect act is a lot higher than CCTV

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"A name is written on a polished rock. A broken heart that the world forgot." Help Stamp Out Child Abuse

• Cor - is that what trains look like nowadays??

Seriously??!! :eek:

Why don't I get to go on trains like that???? :mad: :mad:

Go get 'em Paul - no wonder he walked off when you questioned the policy/legislation - he obviously didn't have clue!! (... and I bet his training wasn't cheap!)

• I used to do quite a bit of freelance railway photography for railway mags (Rail, Traction) and i have always since this so called threat to national security(another americanism) by potential terrorist was brought in advised rail enthusiast to:
    be a tw@ next time go back with camera and take a copy of GUIDLINES FOR RAIL ENTHUSIASTS to refer to if chalanged.
    better still if you right/email network rail asking permission and take a copy of the reply permission with you to realy piss them of

ALSO COMPLAIN TO THE RAILWAY MAGS. THEY LOVE THIS SORT OF STUFF COZ ITS THEIRE READERSHIP BEING AFFECTED.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"A name is written on a polished rock. A broken heart that the world forgot." Help Stamp Out Child Abuse

• what a knob:eek:

jeebus what an arrogant jumped up little jobsworth:rolleyes: i say we organise a mass photo shoot at the station...get loads of folks and we can take photos of each other:D

• come the revolution my friends COME THE REVOLUTION

i am sure i can see a cctv cam in this shot......

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• What a stupid man! I'd definately send a letter to them in the post (perhaps recorded delivery, like Cybw suggested). My experience has been that letters of complaint on paper tend to get treated more seriously than emails saying the same thing (though they shouldn't).

Oh, I've just remembered - someone I know works for Network Rail (not face to face with the public, though so it wouldn't have been him) - worth me getting in touch with him (if only to say "someone I know needs to make a complaint, and his emails haven't been responded to, can you let me have a copy of the complaints proceedure")? or not?

• taken at york on wednesday 13th (my slr was packed away so i used my 2.1 meg phone cam) pic not so good but a staff member actualy picked my slr up for me and started chatting about best places to shoot on york station.........

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• OK, lemmie get this straight:

You can't take photos at a station without proir permition at any Railtrack/National Rail station. SO, if I go down to my local station (A two platform and some bus shelters affair) with my cybershot, I'm a Terrorist! :S

Spot the difference

Terrorist?

Trainspotter?

Wonder if you would've got the same reaction at a Steam/Tourist railway?

• Quote from shedtroll

OK, lemmie get this straight:

You can't take photos at a station without proir permition at any Railtrack/National Rail station.

Yes you can, you need permission if the photos are for commercial use.

• You got off lucky! They shot some poor bugger for running through a station a while back!:eek:

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Quote from AnnieAnne

What a stupid man! I'd definately send a letter to them in the post (perhaps recorded delivery, like Cybw suggested). My experience has been that letters of complaint on paper tend to get treated more seriously than emails saying the same thing (though they shouldn't).

Oh, I've just remembered - someone I know works for Network Rail (not face to face with the public, though so it wouldn't have been him) - worth me getting in touch with him (if only to say "someone I know needs to make a complaint, and his emails haven't been responded to, can you let me have a copy of the complaints proceedure")? or not?

I will pursue it. I'm not worried about a personal apology, but I'd like written confirmation that they were wrong.

I'm on a mission :patch:

• omg that so dangerouse i can really see how that can cause an accsident :eek: wtf is he on about are you sure he acctually worked there

• NETWORK RAIL state that at MAJOR stations you have to go and inform the DUTY STATION MANAGER if you intend to take photographs. minor/principal staffed stations its common curtasy to let them know. Doing this I have never had any trouble (london stations are known as being staffed with total knob jockeys, always have) this said my time at york was suprising to say the least n without asking.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• i aint seen any notice since about a month after the bombings

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]