Does Love conquer everything?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Quote from scarlettdee

sadly i think the answer is no....love alone cannot always stop certain types of behaviour or things from getting you down..alongside love you need,trust,understanding and compromise...it's a wonderful notion,but sadly reality is never quite so romantic.

Yep, I agree. Love gives you the motivation to try and change the things that undermine your relationship, but it doesn't guarantee success.

Also, it's a bit naive to assume that love means the same thing to your partner as it does to you, that they feel it in the same ways or even to the same extent. For some people love means working through the issues to get to the point where you have a solid, secure and happy relationship. For others it's supposed to guarantee that kind of relationship from the word go. For some people it means wanting to spend the rest of your life with your partner, for others it's that happy glow you get after sex.

It's all relative, and unless you share the same idea of what love is you can't share the same kind of love. I think this is where many of the relationship problems we deal with come from - different attitudes towards and expectations of love. So it could be said that love has as much potential to damage a relationship as it does to strengthen it.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Nope love without trust or respect is is dangerous to the health of a relationship/partnership...I believe there are many elements inclued to make a strong ever lasting bond, love is the main ingredent without the others it would be very heartbreaking & un wise to not part company....

Then it's your perpective on 'what love is' my friendships work because we have all the right elements & see love in a simular way,i do believe tho if the love is strong & the energy is put in to correct the 'missing ingredents' then that can be retrived to another level of love, a deeper love....these people i call rainbow/spirit family,this belief has been proved with friends altho not with lovers...

Communication is an art form & some people just dont seem to have the skills,just like i cant fix my car when it breaks down,altho i can learn should i chose to be willing....

As gardener said 'self respect' conquers all.....show you love & respect yourself then the right love you shall attract

;)

• After reading back on that post, i guess it says in a way that yes love does conquer all

I believe it can if you still have love in your heart,my friends have that have broken my trust, i have forgiven. Our relationship may be different but the love is so strong it over come the challenges....

• Quote from elfqueenofrohan

yeh i was thinking that!

isn't it better to use it too much than not at all ?

Yup cant agree more. I think firstly there are many kinds of love. Seconmdly you can love someone but the type of love changes. And you can love on e person in multiple ways and also multiple people in different ways.
    I also feel some people can be in love with the feeling of being in love not with the person.
    I guess we assume when someone says " I love you"! that they mean the word how we mean it (or how we would like them to mean it).

Sometimes love hurts like hell if it goes wrong but I think it is ALWAYS worth letting yourself try it out.But then I am a (very) old romantic.

• lol it is good isn't it?! It's heavy cos it's scary to open up to love being so meaningful and strong, cos you could get hurt so much. But knowing there's so many romantics out there who think love is worth working at gives me faith :)

Fairest of the Happy Hippy Redheads
    I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dream, for the adventure of being alive... :heart:

• Quote from gingernut

lol it is good isn't it?! It's heavy cos it's scary to open up to love being so meaningful and strong, cos you could get hurt so much. But knowing there's so many romantics out there who think love is worth working at gives me faith :)

yeah i reckon given time il be a sucker again....for love! :rolleyes: its just love hurts man! as good as it can be, it can be crap too.....heavy yep for sure...we wouldnt have felt it any other way!

• Quote from ecomamma

yeah i reckon given time il be a sucker again....

that's what i like to hear.

admittedly cos i'm a filthy perve. :whistle:

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln

• yes love it conquers all , we wake up, we go looking for it again ,it overcomes every fear we have ,yes i suppose there are exceptions to the rule , but they should seek help from a professional if they are not looking for love in thier life

• I think everyone goes through that stage from time to time, it's a natural reaction to being burned by love. I'd disagree that anyone who doesn't feel drawn to searching for love needs professional help though, there are other ways to achieve the same fulfilment in life and I don't think we should brand anyone "in need of help" because they've chosen those routes to happiness instead.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Quote from Firinne

I think everyone goes through that stage from time to time, it's a natural reaction to being burned by love. I'd disagree that anyone who doesn't feel drawn to searching for love needs professional help though, there are other ways to achieve the same fulfilment in life and I don't think we should brand anyone "in need of help" because they've chosen those routes to happiness instead.

ways to be happy that don't include love? like what?!!? drugs?! alcohol!? I don't understand!

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• Self contentment mebbes? Sometimes folks that look for love are looking as a way of distracting themselves from issues they need to deal with themselves. I always had a man on my arm, just hoping for it to be the real deal. Was never the case, but when i looked deeper into it i realised that i was looking for affirmation that i wasn't worthless and was lovable. Once i had dealt with this, i felt that i no longer needed to look for love. I was content. I learned to love myself and with that i no longer looked for love externally. maybe not what Firinne meant, maybe it was, but it's a personal example of happiness without looking for love.

• That was pretty much what I meant, that often when we're content we're not actively looking for love, and sometimes the healthiest thing we can do is stop looking and work out why it is we need it so badly. Ironically, searching hard is usually the very thing that stops us from actually finding it because we pounce on the first thing we think might be it out of desperation.
    I spent a fair while in that cycle when I was younger (also out of a need to feel loveable) ... when I found a great group of friends, and learned to see myself through their eyes I realised I didn't need a man on my arm to feel happy, loved or accepted and when I finally did find love it was when I wasn't looking.

I read an article somewhere that mentioned that prospective partners pick up on things like desperation, so if you're really desperate to find affirmation what you'll usually attract is someone else who's desperate too, and that's not love ... it's co-dependence.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

ways to be happy that don't include love? like what?!!? drugs?! alcohol!? I don't understand!

Friends, spirituality, having things in your life that give you self-esteem ...

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• intresting self fullfillment which in turn enables a life helping others .

this is good
    but do you not accpett that this path you take is yours and that you are loved because of it
    and that someone who makes you smile ,is doing so because your kind of love is making them want to make you smile

how you rationalise that people seem to exist around you yet you seem to think that they feel no love is so intresting

its like there is many reasons to live your life as you want and that love is the last one we should consider.

in fact correct me if im wrong ?

but love is possibly the reason we dont achieve the possabilities we could achieve ,all that neediness and clingyness just gets in the way and slows us down.

so love does not overcome everything ! it is the reason we fail at everything ?
    love is the ultimate in human weakness , how dare we cry just because we feel alone !!!!

do you not realise deep down that if we do not attempt to love everyone we meet it is hell, and that we all are trying to love the community we are in. learning what love means to each other. how we can nuture the love we feel for each other. teaching ourselves to accomodate our type of love with our partners without letting it be the reason we may come to blows. this endless love of each other and ourselves is the ultimate reason for our existance .
    if you dont see this ,then thats when you need help .
    to not be trying to bond with anyone or anything is a sickness , a mental disorder , if you can feel anything ? That feeling is a need to be recognised as a needing human being . a person who wants to rewarded with words ,smiles , eye contact , laughter ,hugs , time spent with them , a need for a common existance a common goal , to feel part of something ,
    that is the love that conquers all
    a hand reaching out to aid each other in anyway we can
    and there is a hand out there for everyone who is looking , in fact there are a million hands of love

Sunshine. Snow. Stars. The seaside. The smell of freshly cut grass. Good food. Close friends. Autumn. Long walks. Sunsets. Bonfires. Great music. Getting lost in the moment. Barefeet on wet grass. Seeing people smile. Windsurfing. Frost on spider webs. Many other things. Happiness is where you find it.