Does Love conquer everything?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Do people really believe if you love someone enough you can get through anything? The romantic side of me want to trust that if you love someone that deeply nothing could ever change it. But so often things do come between people and love turns to hate. So what do you think? Does Love win through in the end?! :) xx

Fairest of the Happy Hippy Redheads
    I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dream, for the adventure of being alive... :heart:

• yes, i think that love does 'conquer everything', but i think that real love is rare. the problem is that many people spend a lifetime kidding themselves that they're in love when they're really not. if you look around you, do you see a lot of love out there? i don't.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln

• Quote from shibari.surfer

Sadly i dont think it can. For example, could i continue to love the person that betrayed me or murderd one of my children?
    Someone once said that you never really love anybody just your idea of them.

but do you think anybody who truly loved you could do that, knowing the pain it would cause? If you know someone like you know yourself, and would give ur life to protect them, surely anything they did would be forgivable?

I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dream, for the adventure of being alive... :heart:

• Quote from gingernut

Do people really believe if you love someone enough you can get through anything? The romantic side of me want to trust that if you love someone that deeply nothing could ever change it. But so often things do come between people and love turns to hate. So what do you think? Does Love win through in the end?! :) xx

R we just talking romantic love here, not friendship love?
    well i don't know :confused: but the bit of me which sees the world says no, cos there are plenty of people who seem to love each other truly and yet can't get through stuff... either cos of their own actions or other stuff (think Romeo and Juliet!)

As for nothing ever changing it.... I think that that does exist.
    Often when it comes to hate, the hate is stronger because the love was greater.

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• Quote from the gardener

if we asked what love is we would all answer differently, its almost undefinable...

Very much so!

I think it's a nice idea to think that love conquers all, but like God I wish I could believe in it. However, I can't believe in a concept I can't define. From my instinctive idea of love I have trouble accepting it as well, but then maybe i'm just hard hearted.

On a slightly seperate, but related issue. I really do wish people would stop just throwing the word love around in situations that don't merit it. It cheapens the concept and seems mostly duplicitous anyway.

• There are lots of different kinds of love though, how do you know they didn't feel what they thought what love to them when they said it?

• Quote from gingernut

There are lots of different kinds of love though, how do you know they didn't feel what they thought what love to them when they said it?

yeh i was thinking that!

isn't it better to use it too much than not at all ?

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• Quote from elfqueenofrohan

isn't it better to use it too much than not at all ?

Maybe but... isn't there a middle ground?! :eek:

• As far as I am concerned, Love can overcome anything, and I endeavour to believe such even when everything seems to stand in opposition to such...

‘One is lucky to be content with little and to find satisfaction in simplicity’ Robert Service

• sadly i think the answer is no....love alone cannot always stop certain types of behaviour or things from getting you down..alongside love you need,trust,understanding and compromise...it's a wonderful notion,but sadly reality is never quite so romantic.

• Quote from gingernut

Do people really believe if you love someone enough you can get through anything?

Nope, some things are unforgivable.

The romantic side of me want to trust that if you love someone that deeply nothing could ever change it. But so often things do come between people and love turns to hate. So what do you think? Does Love win through in the end?! :) xx

Love doesnt have to mean "blind", in fact I'd rather someone didnt love me blindly but actually loved me for who I am! :eek::D And that would mean with limits that could be crossed - I'd seriously doubt the degree of self-respect a person has if that didnt have some limits on what they would accept! I'd hazard a guess that the ones who want love to conquer all are the ones who tend to get shafted more often :(

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• yeah i guess so. But maybe even being able to conquer some things make love amazing. If I hadn't watched so many romantic movies I probably wouldn't have all these notions that love is forever and stuff! But even it only lasts a little while it can still be special, cos I reckon whenever two people hav a connection, for however long in whatever way, it's pretty wonderful :o

• Quote from gingernut

But even it only lasts a little while it can still be special, cos I reckon whenever two people hav a connection, for however long in whatever way, it's pretty wonderful :o

I would agree, and I believe that I will lie a little more easy in the grave knowing that once I too knew such wonder... And perhaps, what endures and overcomes all, are moments like that...

‘One is lucky to be content with little and to find satisfaction in simplicity’ Robert Service

• yes I do believe that love can conquer everything but must always be combined with the art of communication! With both in balance then anything can be challenged and is very powerful*

• Quote from freecloud

It depends so much on the individuals involved.

My thoughts precisly.

Very much depends on the 2 ppl involved.
    But i believe if you have connection and the ability to communicate then yes love possibly could conquer everything.
    But then i'm just an old romantic who dreams alot :o

• Quote from gingernut

but do you think anybody who truly loved you could do that, knowing the pain it would cause? If you know someone like you know yourself, and would give ur life to protect them, surely anything they did would be forgivable?

sorry am a bit late with this:o

but ... did you think that anybody who truly loved you could *sleep with your best friend/ steal your money/keep that important secret from you/punch you...* etc

How many times do we hear '... but i love him/her' as somebodys reason for staying in a relationship that they really are not benefiting from?

I'd like to put forward 'Self respect conquers all':cool:

• I think its healthier to realise that, whilst some things can put up a good fight, nothing can conquer all.

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• I don't think it does. Love is just an intense feeling and sometimes love really gets in the way and ruins things. It makes things great too but it creates equal problems. You can love someone more then anything yet still be unhappy in a relationship. Love dosn't conquer everything in my opinion.

• love conqures nothing but love brings with it problems change and challenges but all these can be over come with a parter with whom you have a love with and trust and a bond were by your problems are theres and visa versa.
    relationships are hard painfull challengeing but ever so rewarding and sometimes we meet someone with witch the love wasent strong anuff to over come some things were as one day or right now your with some one were all is conqurable this dosent mean to say that problems wont arise and yes all problems can put its toll on any relastionship but love isent just the one thing that helps trust understanding care and a step back all help its about wakeing up at the age of ninty and every day before still in the arms of that one speachil person noing that you are still were you are becouse you both stuck to your guns love prevales from this. yet people can allsop go there hole lives addement there still in love but surronded by a fallng bad relationship.
    its not about love concering its about filling safe with hands to guid you throw the storms its about finding a soul to battle the bad with be it frind be it sibling or be it partner.

love conkers nothing finding someone to battle with you conkers all

• Love doesnt conquer all, but all love conkers :D

• Quote from sunflower

love conkers nothing finding someone to battle with you conkers all

awww definately, we just need someone by our side and we can get through most things i reckon!!