I need to move country because of the smoking ban

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Quote from Tubbs Timewarper

Smoke when you can... Snuff when you can't!

Or do what the Swedes and the Noggs do. Since smoking was banned in Sweden amd Norway a really tastful (:vomit: ) alternative has taken off. Snus is like a wee little round tea bag which is packed with tobacco of various flavours. You simply stick one under your lip, next to your gum and wait for the tobacco tar to slide gloriously down your throat, tasty huh. They're kept in little tins in fridges behind the bar of pubs and clubs. I tried one once. Fookin' horrible. If you stick at it you can erode a convienient little recess in your gum to keep your Snus in and if you do it enough it can trigger mouth cancers. I spoke to a bouncer outside a Swedish club (while I was 'aving a fag) and he has one in for all his waking hours and that's pretty much the norm. Think I'll stick to being a quitter, the bans definately gonna help my cause.

• Apparently, churches now will have to put up No-Smoking signs... So, what do I do with the Incense? World gone bloody mad!

‘One is lucky to be content with little and to find satisfaction in simplicity’ Robert Service

• Quote from Tubbs Timewarper

Apparently, churches now will have to put up No-Smoking signs... So, what do I do with the Incense? World gone bloody mad!

I'm pretty sure that incense isn't covered, actually. Could be wrong though...

• Quote from Noisy

People who smoke simply aren't able to smell how bad it really is.

Sorry, not true. :harhar: I smoke and am fully aware of how much it stinks. Hence why I don't smoke inside my house.
    The ban has been in force for just over a year up here now. I'm personally not to bothered by it. I'm used to going outside for a smoke. But I don't agree with being told what's good for me by the "men in power". It's lost a lot of pubs a lot of money up here. Especially living on an island. We've seen quite a few places have to close because of the lost revenue.

• house parties will become the norm i reckon!! pubs will die a death apart from the *trendy* ones for smug non-smokers...

it will affect the social trade, staying in will be the new going out!!

I still dont understand why, if we are to become a *non smoking* society, they still sell them!!

also, all these bans are for the public...its still ok to smoke and drink till all hours in Westminster palace................!!!government buildings are exempt!!

• They cannot place employees of a business in the position of having to work in a dangerous environment, and working with nicotine smoke has been statistically proven to be hazardous.

Does one really wish to endanger the health of that young person doing a nights work behind the bar ?

Do you ladies currently take your drinks to the toilets ?

• Quote from Dapablo

They cannot place employees of a business in the position of having to work in a dangerous environment, and working with nicotine smoke has been statistically proven to be hazardous.

Then don't work in a pub that permits smoking. Drug trials are dangerous, but if you wouldn't do that for money then why would you work in a smoke filled environment for the same?

The obvious comeback is that it's not that simple - and that sometimes pub work is all people can do. I'd agree if it wasn't for the fact that great numbers of eastern europeans coming into the UK don't seem the face this same struggle to find employment that the English claim... :whistle:

• Quote from Dapablo

They cannot place employees of a business in the position of having to work in a dangerous environment, and working with nicotine smoke has been statistically proven to be hazardous.

Does one really wish to endanger the health of that young person doing a nights work behind the bar ?

Do you ladies currently take your drinks to the toilets ?

If they dont like smoking that much dont work in a pub!!! Every job with have risk with it, bar staff - glass hazzard.
    Nurse - crazy patients
    Taxi driver - crashing
    They should have smoking pubs and non smoking pubs!!!

And if im in a club I sometimes take my drink to the bog with me, failing that leave it with mates and neck it

AND its not just women who are targeted by 'date rape' drugs

• Well yeah they should fucking do. Car fumes are more dangerous than the crap that comes off a few fags.
    Im going to a smoking ban eve party, thats going to be really depressing its like new years eve

• While we’re at it, why not call for a ban on drinking too? In my experience passive drunkenness, that is being sober while those around you are steaming, is a lot more dangerous, smelly and socially isolating than smoking.

(Admittedly such soberness has happened approximately once in my life time, but you get the drift…)

• Quote from Atomik

No shit. And next week.... traffic wardens call for a ban on cars to protect them from working in traffic fumes. :whistle:

well there are links to car fumes and lung cancer so they would have a point, not sure they'd get very far though.

• Quote from Dapablo

well there are links to car fumes and lung cancer so they would have a point, not sure they'd get very far though.

Indeed. Point being, smoking has been stigmatised and singled out. People regularly express outrage at the mere chance of inhaling a stray whiff of tobacco smoke, but are equally happy to pump the lungs of others full with their exhaust fumes.

• I think this was mentioned previously in this topic somewhere just couldn't be bothered lookin for it again.

Have you ever tried to take up snuff? I mean I have to agree that a fag goes really well with a few pints, but when there's nothing you can do then what choice do you have? Besides, snuff will last at least an hour before you need some more, where as with fags you need one every 10 minutes without even realising (or at least I do anyways :angel: ).

Just a thought anyways,

SilverFox

• Quote from SilverFox

Have you ever tried to take up snuff? I mean I have to agree that a fag goes really well with a few pints, but when there's nothing you can do then what choice do you have? Besides, snuff will last at least an hour before you need some more, where as with fags you need one every 10 minutes without even realising (or at least I do anyways :angel: ).

Works for me!

‘One is lucky to be content with little and to find satisfaction in simplicity’ Robert Service

• I know exactly where youre coming from but just opened a magazine and staring me in the face is "one in eight trees felled worldwide is for tobacco consumption"
    Save the trees! stop smoking!!!
    please

So im gna try and quit as of now

• Uh, where did you get that from? It sounds highly suspect to me. Tobacco itself needs certain types of soil so I can't imagine that fuelling deforestation. I'm pretty sure that the papers are made from ricepaper. So where are the trees involved?

• Quote from John

Uh, where did you get that from? It sounds highly suspect to me. Tobacco itself needs certain types of soil so I can't imagine that fuelling deforestation. I'm pretty sure that the papers are made from ricepaper. So where are the trees involved?

cutting down trees so they can grow tobacco there?

• Quote from Sthenno

Just smoke American Spirit! :)

Or grow your own and use hemp/rice papers :harhar:

• I was at the bus shelter today and there's even a sign in there saying no smoking! Three glass walls and a roof constitutes an inclosed space..... :rolleyes:

We are old, we are young, we are in this together... New Model Army....they still going?

• Wiggy I saw this in the Metro today...

Quote from The Metro

Many people will go to great lengths to try to beat the pub smoking ban coming into force on Sunday.
    But few will be as ingenious as Bob Beach.
    The landlord of The Wellington Arms in Southampton decided to cite diplomatic immunity by turning his pub into the embassy for a tiny Caribbean island.

As 'foreign soil', he reasoned, he would escape the clampdown.
    He declared his pub the British consulate for uninhabited Redonda, which lies 56km (35 miles) off the coast of Antigua.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/ar…le_id=54760&in_page_id=34

So there you go...you just need to move to Southampton...