Racism or not?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Quote from Coyote

I though "the N word" :rolleyes: was banned because it was a term of abuse; regardless of whether the recipient of such a word is upset by it....

You can't divorce a word from its cultural and social context. Words reflect ideas, values and prejudices. I don't believe any word should be "banned", but we should certainly be sensitive to the context in which they're used. Using a word on prime-time TV that clearly has powerful racist connotations is not unreasonably considered to be unacceptable.

• swiped from the bb website.

• The thing I find is with not being allowed to say certain words is it's just covering up the racism thats there underneath. I've heard people slagging folk off n talking about "aye see all they asians, I hate them" because the've been taught it's unnaceptable to use the word paki. It's like there teaching us what to say so we don't appear racist instead of dealing with the racism that I thinks still there. The Sun, slags off immigrants all the time and gets people hating immigrants. Why dont the address that. I don't think people would be that bothered if it was white, english speaking people with similar culture moving here. Howcomes they get so wound up about the word nigger being used on the telly but they're not doing anything about the crap they're printing all the time in the papers?

• Quote from anndra_w

I don't think people would be that bothered if it was white, english speaking people with similar culture moving here.

yeah right! i met some south african guys in london who weren't exactly welcomed.
    and my swedish mate, also in london, who speaks better english than a lot english people gets penalised too

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• Quote from elfqueenofrohan

yeah right! i met some south african guys in london who weren't exactly welcomed.
    and my swedish mate, also in london, who speaks better english than a lot english people gets penalised too

If thats the case, that makes it even worse then. But I was meaning do you think people would get as wound up if the press where slagging off white westernized people that was moving here. Though by what your saying, yeah they probably would.