Are most people fools?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Are the majority of folks today actually incapable of looking-after-themselves / acting-in-their-own-best-interests / stupid / foolish / very-easily-manipulated-or-lead?

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• I was thinking about this last week, I went to the cashpoint and there was a queue. I assumed the one next to it must be out of order, it was working fine - the queue had just appeared because one person hadn't noticed there was another cashpoint, and everyone else had assumed because the person/people in front of them weren't using it that it must be broken.

I wouldn't say most people are fools, but as a society we've become used to following others rather than looking for our own way - if we want knowledge we look for someone who's found it, if we want enlightenment we look at the paths other people have taken to reach it. If we want to be happy we look at what others see as happiness, and what path they've taken to reach it.
    That assumption that someone else must know best suggests that rather than being a society of fools, we're dominated by fear and self-doubt which limits our development.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• govts have manipulated 'the mob' for centuries.
    For example..Roman citizens lost the right to democratically elect a leader,when Octavian decided he wanted to become a dictator...he gave the mob more entertainment in the form of games...they were so busy watching Gladiators rip each other apart, they didn't notice their rights being erroded.

Is the same today..only we are bombarded with circuses via the media;)

• Quote from Atomik

It might help when you post these kinds of threads if you clearly state your own opinion as a prelude to discussion.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that most people are actually foolish, and getting increasingly so; hence my opinion on the ownership of weapons as a general "right" being changed to "I wouldnt trust most folks with a spoon, never mind anything more"....

I dont think this was always the case, but looking at most modern people I can well understand the notion that they need shepherding. I dont agree with it (I dont care enough :reddevil: ) but I can understand it from folks who do care (or who at least need a resource that isnt going to spend its spare time licking the power sockets :D ).

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Quote from Atomik

Do you think this is the "fault" of people, or simply the result of the environment to which they're exposed?

Good question; I think there has always been a dim minority but the environment folks have been exposed to has gradually dumbed the majority of folks down so its become their "nature".

As a certain Mr Wells noted "It is a law of nature we overlook, that intellectual versatility is the compensation for change, danger, and trouble. An animal perfectly in harmony with its environment is a perfect mechanism. Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no change and no need of change. Only those animals partake of intelligence that have to meet a huge variety of needs and dangers"

So the safer the environment, and the neater we fit in there, the less intelligence is needed; as habit will suffice.... Which means, of course, the more orderly society gets, generally the safer and more regular it gets...but at the same time people get dimmer! :eek: So as power increases (from forming organised groups and division of labour) intelligence decreases!!! :eek:

• Quote from Coyote

Are the majority of folks today actually incapable of looking-after-themselves/acting-in-their-own-best-interests/stupid/foolish/very-easily-manipulated-or-lead?

your opinions are sometimes very scary.

i think people are easily manipulated/lead because we're not really independant beings (i.e. we live in groups/families) - having the same desires etc makes us more likely to work together and we're social animals. People like a leader so they're not in control.. well I can't think of how to explain that apart from look at animals, with an alpha male in charge etc.
    I don't think this makes people incapable of looking after themselves - in most cases when a person is in a trying situation / danger they are capable of getting outta it on their own. If you look at the times when big disasters have happened and stuff people are pretty amazing at sorting themselves out - like the London Blitz, or the tsunami in Asia.
    I dunno about acting in your own best interests, as that's not always how you should act anyway.

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• Quote from elfqueenofrohan

your opinions are sometimes very scary.

:reddevil:

• Quote from Coyote

Are the majority of folks today actually incapable of looking-after-themselves / acting-in-their-own-best-interests / stupid / foolish / very-easily-manipulated-or-lead?

I used to think so. However, I decided that was a negative way of looking at it so I now believe that everyone is just "normal" and I'm super-duper smart :cool:

• I'm firmly of the opinion that all of us are fools, some are just better at deluding themselves that they know whats going on.

It is now as it always has been, the past wasn't better at all, the future might be.

• Quote from Coyote

Are the majority of folks today actually incapable of looking-after-themselves / acting-in-their-own-best-interests / stupid / foolish / very-easily-manipulated-or-lead?

Incapable of looking after themselfs - some of them yeah. But there will come a day in their lifes when they have to look after themselfs for one reason or another.
    Acting in their own best interests - not many people do really, if we did then we wouldnt drink/smoke/indulge in chemicals etc.
    Stupid - no, no one is stupid
    foolish - yeah because they are people
    easily manipulated - some are some arent, depends on the person really.
    Not every person is the same.

• Quote from Atomik

Do you think this is the "fault" of people, or simply the result of the environment to which they're exposed?

Personally I think the environment people are exposed to has a lot to do with it. You don't have to think for yourself any more. Newspapers, magazines and TV tell you what's important and what to think, if you want an alternative view of a lot of situations you have to do some good detective work a lot of the time.

I don't think people are stupid, as has already been mentioned humankind is very good at coping with major crisis and basic survival. I don't really know if they're foolish but a lot of people have certainly forgotten how to think for themselves.

Specially if you look at your average Big Brother contestant :eek:

• its hard being different in a world thats trying to make everyone the same. If you look different u are (generally) judged as a outcast! i think a lot of peeps are sheep and too worried about consuming stuff they dont even need. i know so many yoot who change their mobile every 2 months just for the latest "must have":rolleyes: - i bitch about it sometimes but like the star fish story ( the guy throwing them in the sea) theres no point being negative about it you just gotta do what ya do innit:D

• Quote from dred

its hard being different in a world thats trying to make everyone the same.

like what chance is there of difference ? even those that are different are invariably the same

• Quote from Coyote

NOPE!!