Is keeping pets cruel?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I kno thers another thread on this somewhere but puttin human feelings on animals is not the same as recognizin that animals DO have feelings-they suffer distress,loneliness,lack of stimulation etc,mainly when the lifesyle theyre leadin is at odds with their natural (biological?) instincts.
    For example,most birds fly over wide areas so cagin them-even 4 captive bred birds-is cruel.Animals that naturally prefer a 'home' within a small territory will be ok in a suitable cage/run because they dont have a thwarted desire to roam.I think anyone takin on a pet should know whats natural 4 that animal so they can make the 'captive' conditions as unstressful as possible-look at the difference between zoo animals kept in concrete cages compared to those in wildlife parks where their environments are closer to their 'natural' needs

• I dont like the idea of keeping animals as pets, but we have to now. There has been so much breeding and cross breeding that we have to keep animals to stop them being killed (by us generally) or not being able to surive in the wild so killing themselfs (but in thery still caused by us!)
    Keeping a bird in a cage is wrong, they are ment to fly, migrate etc. Not locked in a cage, fed all kinds of shite and need 'toys' to keep them happy!!
    Exotic animals shouldnt be kept in cages where heat lamps/mats are needed. Thats just plain wrong really
    Keeping a dog on a lead is nessary around other people/dogs for its and their own safety's but if your not around them let it be free and hunt.

• Quote from MEDUSA

puttin human feelings on animals is not the same as recognizin that animals DO have feelings-they suffer distress,loneliness,lack of stimulation etc,mainly when the lifesyle theyre leadin is at odds with their natural (biological?) instincts

Here here, completely agree and I would extend argue the same approach needs to be taken with farm animals as well. The fact that it doesn't seem to have been taken on board by most by the food industry is why we only eat meat if we have reared it and killed it on the farm here. Compassion in World Farming is a good charity that shows that meat can be produced in a way that is a lot better than the way it is produced at the moment.
    Foxy x

• ive often pondered on this too...like when i watch my fish in their tank...and think how much better their life could be if they were in the ocean...i increasingly feel bad for them

i think cats are the..well i thin it seems less restricting on keeping them, and from what i know of cats as a species,they live more naturally...ok they have food at home but they still hunt..and they have the freedom to be outside in the world for as long as they want (unless a house cat) ...but they still have security of the home

i used to want a lizard and such but i wouldnt now..i do think the captive life is very restricting compared to their free relatives..

and as for birds..yea i agree that they shouldnt be captive..i love watching them and thinking about how they have the choice of the whole sky..and a cage compared to that is..well it speaks for itself

Most birds kept in captivity are bred in captivity so they know no different

This is not true. I read a report stating that upto 60% of exotic birds kept as pets are illegally trapped in the wild.
    According to a report funded by Animal Aid, "Most of the beautiful parrots on sale in pet shops, markets and bird fayres will have been trapped in the wild".

My personal belief is that if an animal needs to be kept in a cage, it is wrong to keep it as a pet. What is the cage there for if not to deny the creature it's natural instinct to roam?

• I love my dog and she pretends to love me... she does what she thinks I want her to do when she know that I am watching........ keeping her as a pet..... yeh, no worries about that....... she is a dog...cats also fine I think.... most other animals I am against as pets but there needs to be discussion - hey - lets discuss........ humans - wankers a pet owners.... much trainging needed,.....

• I don't think it's cruel to keep some animals. My cats are perfectly happy. They're free to go outside when they want and though we do lock them out of the house at night they still have the chance to come back in via the cat flap if they so choose. I think the fact that they choose to live with me rather than are forced to is really nice.
    I really don't agree with keeping birds as pets, though. Something that has always distressed me is keeping birds in a cage because whether they know it or not they belong in the sky or the trees and not in a cage... Dogs and cats seem to have more freedom that that. My neighbour has a dog that she keeps 'for breeding purposes'. She's a lovely lady but it makes me sick at the fact that she keeps a dog in a tiny little cage like that :(

• Caging larger mammals is so cruel. I own dogs and I think they have a happy life. Not keen on cats even though I loved the ones we had. Not cause its cruel but because they are preditors of the local wild life. They kill for fun not food.

• Quote from Hedgewitch

It depends on whether the pet in question understands the nature of free will. If so then yeah, it's cruel, if not then no probs.

Another interesting side to this is that many of the exotic birds caught and imported are considered ‘pests’ in their native countries. I fell in love with the fire finches in Africa last year, only to be rather upset when I discovered they were all being poisoned. Since a ban had been placed on their exportation to Western Europe for sale as pets they had become a blight on the local crops and were being exterminated at every opportunity. I do still think it’s cruel to keep birds in a cage, but surely in some cases not as cruel as the alternative?

• Quote from Rook

Caging larger mammals is so cruel. I own dogs and I think they have a happy life. Not keen on cats even though I loved the ones we had. Not cause its cruel but because they are preditors of the local wild life. They kill for fun not food.

True yeah but so do people.
    I think putting a collar with a bell on is cruel for cats!!! If I know anyone that has one I rip it off the collar

• Providing the animal is cared for, is fed, watered, given medical care and has space to run around I can not see the problem with keeping pets. I don't like the idea of keeping birds as pets especially in cages. I had a friend who let their budge roam freely in the house all the time. I guess that is better then a cage but still...hmm. It completely depends on the animal and the amount of care and space ect given to them. Keeping an animal shut up in a cage and ignored becuase your kids are bored with it is cruel.

• I often think that caging birds is really cruel.
    They really don't want to be there, they want to spread their wings and fly away, be free, make some friends, do what the birdies do. they don't want to be locked in a cage watching us feeding our faces and watching telly.
    It must be a very unhappy life.

I think some pets though, as long as they're cared for and loved, are happy with what they have, giving that they have a nice garden to run around safely or one of those Hamster ball things that will let them stretch their legs and explore a wee bit.

Tis a good topic to bring up though, I often think about this in pet shops.

• I think that animals should be left in their natural environment as far as possible. Obviously, if they are becoming endangered and humans can help out - fair game!

If somebody wants to keep anything in a cage, I strongly disapprove - I would HATE it for myself and so wouldn't do it to other living things. Makes me really sad to see goldfish in tiny round bowls full of algae and filthy water, birds in tiny cages with no chance of flying properly .... the list could go on (but I'm sure you get my drift)! Like others, I don't have a problem with responsible pet ownership but if you are going to have a more exotic pet - make sure you give them the space, relationships, food and environment they would have in the wild!

• Quote from scarlettdee

cats don't hunt for fun..they hunt to improve their hunting skills as any predator does..it's nature..red in tooth and claw.

i dunno i think some cats are entertained by hunting. i know my cat can spend hours playing with mice in the bath tub because they can\'t get out. then she usually eats everything but the head...