my kid is the only one.........

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• ............in his whole school to walk to and from school

how mad is that ! i was sat chatting to his teacher watching swimming practice and she told me that when i said he was going to be walking home himself it threw them ( i had to write a note ) because he was the only one in her recollection and she's been there 8 years.

• What did you have to write a note for?

Seems pretty bizarre to me. I used to walk or ride my bike five miles each way when ah were a lad.

• they make the kids sit in the dining room bit at the end of school. then a parent has to go in and get them.
    hence the note, to say i wasn't coming and it was ok for him to walk home.

• I took my kid to school in the lorry untill she was 15 she would make me park down the road out the way. She walked sometimes, buses always full. Two miles through the forest past a fishing pond.... I knew most of the junkies in the carparks.. Now if I had a son... would he have walked to school?

• My girl, now 11, bikes the 2 mile to school on days that she want to and has been doing so for a year now. Gives them a feeling of independance.

• That's insane, even when I was in junior school we'd all walk home together because we all lived near the school.

• i suppose in some ways the school are doing the right thing in as much as times have changed
    it also depends on how far you live from the school i suppose

there seems to be a lot more bullying going on now and random attacks

• I suppose so, but there were weirdos hanging outside schools when I went to school. We were just told to walk in a group, and our parents knew how long it should take us to get home.

Are there really more dangerous people around now than there was in 1993 when I was in juniors? Or are we just more afraid of them?

• pugsley walks the mile and half there..i watch him go through the valley opposite..and then he is watched by a couple of sweet old dears who walk their doggies till he meets up with his mate:)

we've just been sent a letter home about correct school uniform...which he wears ..apart from the black shoes /trainers...pugsley wears Desert Boots because of how far he walks..they are tougher and built for walking..if they get arsey it will be explained how I can't afford to shell out £50 every 3 months to replace the worn out size 5 !/2 Clarkes shoes he wears out..

Are there really more dangerous people around now than there was in 1993 when I was in juniors? Or are we just more afraid of them?

no more weirdos than when i was a kid...we've just become soft...there is more traffic..thats the biggest danger...and funnily enough its the MOTHERS picking up their own kids who don't seem to give a toss if they squash other peoples..but don't get me started on that...;)

• dont get me started on thet either scar
    the local junior school my kids attended isent far from me and its at the top of a dead end
    the amount of parents dropping off and picking kids up is unreal
    it gets me so angry as i know some of them live less than a mile away and could easily walk
    there have been countless accidents this year alone
    sorry a bit of an off topic rant

• :o i drive my boy to school. It would cost me over £10 a week to send him on the bus and i tend to be going into town at that time so...
    Its a serious walk (3 1/2 Cornish miles each way)for me let alone a 10 year old with a school bag, down country lanes with lots of other parents driving cars taking their kids to school.

Strangely,about 10 years ago, there was a school bus that used to pick up all the village kids in the morning and bring them back about 3.45 but i think that was just for slave labour at Trago Mills;)

• Too far for Shannon to anything but bus. Fay does the 1.5 mile trip on her pushbike with a mate, as said they enjoy the independance.

Schools have to take care regarding the release of children at the end of school hours. It is encumbent upon them to see no child leaves with someone they shouldn't be. In our school the children must stand behind a playground line till their parent presents themselves and receives acknowledgement by a teacher, usualy all conducted with smiles and nods and little conversations. :)

• yeah ss that is a long walk and dangerous down country lanes
    but these parents im on about live less than a mile away
    and some about two streets away

THE BUS MY KIDS TRAVEL ON COSTS 1 POUND EACH WAY
    and its two miles
    my son is at college 5 miles away and i buy him a bus pass costing 12 quid
    so it costs me 32 quid before dinner money or packed lunchs

like i said earlier though weather permitting the younger two will walk with friends

• Quote from Dapablo

Schools have to take care regarding the release of children at the end of school hours. It is encumbent upon them to see no child leaves with someone they shouldn't be. In our school the children must stand behind a playground line till their parent presents themselves and receives acknowledgement by a teacher, ususaly all conducted with smiles and nods and little conversations. :)

Doesn't that kinda lead to a society governed by fear? Just how far do we go to protect children? Do we never let them out of our sight? Do we never let them play out by themselves?

• Quote from Atomik

Doesn't that kinda lead to a society governed by fear? Just how far do we go to protect children? Do we never let them out of our sight? Do we never let them play out by themselves?

I agree with you, but a lot of parents, usually mothers (done myself again), wouldn't. Like the discussion over responsibilty of parenting elsewhere shows there is a wide range of opinion on these matters.

It could be argued that I am irresponsible leaving my childs 10 minute journey to school unobserved. She could be hit by a vehicle she could be kidnapped and it would all be my fault for letting her do it instead of taking her in the car.

I require her to try freedom.

• Quote from Atomik

*clip clop clip clop*

:D

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• i agree - hen is in year 6 and only swtiched to this school last term. its posh, his dad is paying. but it still blew me away him being the only one. i know there are kids who don't live that far away cos we see them drive past us.
    i think parents worry about nutters, but most of the nutters i see are the parents driving.

in his previous school, where his sister still is, all the parents drive and its a bloody nightmare. its a village school but even the village kids get driven. again, when i lived there we walked and were in the minority. they park even on the school zig zags.

reckon there are kids there that will leave this summer never ever having crossed a road by themselves, never had to make any decisions for thier own welfare.
    they are ferried from home to school to pre arranged clubs or play dates at safe places and always with known people. they will have learnt and know nothing about looking after themselves.
    its a shame.

• I walk with Vari to school every morning and back in the afternoon (unless I want to go th the Co-op)- I know at 10 she could be walking by herself but it is such a lovely walk through the park and we both enjoy that wee bit of time to talk and have a laugh. Also, because I have to be in work for 9, I take her to breakfast club for 8.10 - there aren't any other kids walking through the park at that time or any dog-walkers we know, so maybe I have put off letting her go alone. I plan to let her try going by herslef next term though.

"The lovely thing about being 40 is that you can appreciate 25 year old men more" - Colleen McCullough I'm not 40 - I'm 18 with 22 years' experience!

• I always wanted to walk by myself when i was younger but now-a-days, now that im all grown up, a young adult, i try my hardest to stay at my friends houses if i dont get a lift home with my dad. My dad works in the same area i go to college and its about 30mins in a car.

I would like to cycle but it would take me like 6 hours and i'd get attacked, not on the long journey but on the way out of my village.

My 12 year old sister and 16 year old brother have been walking themselves for years now, i remember i used to complain that they were allowed but i wasnt at their age. Their school is 10 mins away on foot though.

• At the moment, my school is a two and a half hour walk away, which I don't intend to do when weighed down with a million textbooks... And next year college'll be something like 20 miles away, which is a definite no...
    Luckily all school buses are free :D
    My little brother could walk, I guess, but the problem with that is that there are an awful lot of main roads and no pavements, which worries my parents. I walked a mile home down the main road on wednesday and nearly got hit by a truck :eek: