Guide dogs

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I always think that guide dogs should get some time off, and go play with other dogs, usually they aren't allowed to even sniff another dog when they are working. They need time to be dogs.

• me being a blind person who has had a guide dog and know a fue other blind people that have them
    i'd say that they are very very useful
    they really enjoy there work
    and they are good at what they do
    obviously they arn't alowd to sniff other dogs if they have the harnis on because then they could bang you in to things.
    as for lying under a desk for 8 hours
    they are trained to go and ly under tables in cafe's so to the dog, it just sees it as another cafe table
    its not gonna know that its been in an office is it?
    they do get time off to be dogs dogs too and have time to spend time with other doggys
    roll in shit if it wants to
    which they do
    they are just like any other dog with the added acception of being trained differently than an avrage "pet dog"
    so there for
    i don't think they are slaves at all
    all they do is aim to please
    :D:D

• they get time off to play with other doggys
    in the park
    roll in shit or go in rivers or the sea
    its not all work
    cause they need to have a life as well
    but, they are highly trained and skilled at what they do
    do you know
    it costs 53 grand to put a guide dog thrue its entire training prossess?
    and all you have to pay for the dog when you get it is a 50 p donation?
    you can pay more if you want to but that's all they ask for

• Quote from Atomik

It is if you leave it under the desk for eight hours a day.

I'd agree in that situation, definitely. I suppose it depends entirely on the person and how they treat the dog, just like with any animal owner.

• Quote from lizziet84

me being a blind person who has had a guide dog and know a fue other blind people that have them
    i'd say that they are very very useful

Well you would, wouldn't you? :harhar:

Interesting that "useful" is the first adjective you should choose though. ;)

as for lying under a desk for 8 hours
    they are trained to go and ly under tables in cafe's so to the dog, it just sees it as another cafe table
    its not gonna know that its been in an office is it?

I don't think the location matters. It's the being stationary for eight hours bit. :rolleyes:

• Isn’t this a bit of an extreme example? I think the percentage of people who sit motionless at a desk for 8 hours is pretty small, so the percentage of guide dogs being subjected to this has got to be even smaller. I work in an office and this never happens; people get up, move around, go out for lunch. I completely agree that if a dog is under a desk with nothing to do for eight hours this would be quite neglectful, even if it was improving the owners quality of life, but I just can’t imagine it happens that much. What does it do when it needs to pee?!

• what does it do when it need to p
    well the owner takes it on harnis to a bit of grass
    depends on how its been trained
    some are trained to go on lead
    grass
    in a run (conkreet pen)
    or off the lead totally
    and they will spend it
    all dogs have spasiffic spending ruteens and every dog is different
    just like every person is
    you cant put them in to catigorys because they are all different depending on the individual person's needs that the dog is trained for

• I live in a Barn atm - the farm owners have a black lab that failed her guide dog exams - so they gave her to the wife of the farm owner because she is partially sighted - not totally blind.

Watching how the dog works with her is brilliant - the dog is not harnessed, it's free to roam - but when the old lady looks like she is going to walk into something, the dog makes a beeline for her and gently nudges her away from walking into a wall or a post or even a cow pat

I myself have a Golden Retriever - I know how gentle they are

I disagree about slavery - the guide dogs come from pedigrees that are naturally passive - whereas my retriever is a loony, so he'd never be guide dog material

To say 'the dog sits under a desk' means the dog knows the owner needs 100% contact - they wouldn't have placed a dog that isn't naturally docile in that position - so come on...

What if you were blinded and offered a dog to help you? Would you say no - in that darkness that terrifies you?

Of course not!

:wiggle:

• Quote from Funktion-1

whereas my retriever is a loony, so he'd never be guide dog material
    What if you were blinded and offered a dog to help you? Would you say no - in that darkness that terrifies you?
    Of course not!

Sorry but not guide dog material sounds harsh if im honest, When people say that i cant help but think they think of animals as items not family, maybe the nature of the dog isnt right!!

And if I was blind and offered a dog would I take it? No I wouldnt, i dont agree on animals being slaves - In my opinion they are slaves to us, but then again most animals are slaves to us really arent they!!

• Quote from Paul

But as an omnivore (according to your profile) you'd accept a dead animal as food, yet you consider a live healthy 'looked after' animal as a slave?

I'm not saying you're right or wrong, I just don't get your thinking.

Yeah I would accept a dead animal as food, personally i think people are ment to eat meat (im not saying that to piss vegetarians/vegans off thats my opinion)
    And for live healthy animal i dont agree that a animal be it a dog, not being able to act like a dog. A dog shouldnt know how to get washing out the machine, a dog shouldnt know when to cross when the lights go bleep bleep bleep, etc.

Would we be having this same debate/opinions if we were saying what about using a capuchin to help blind/deaf people?

• Capuchins are not a domesticated species so you can hardly compare!

Have you not trained your dog to come when it is called? To behave in a manner that you deem acceptable in your home? There is always going to be a degree of control over an animal that you live with. The training of guide dogs is just an extension of that.

• They are in some countrys and are used instead of dogs!!

Yeah Milo knows his name, doesnt mean he listens though. A certain amount of training has to be given to a dog or they cant live with humans BUT as we have domesticated dogs to much we cant really go and release our house dogs can we.

• Quote from wiggy

They are in some countrys and are used instead of dogs!!

Capuchins are a wild species, yes some may have been bred to help humans and I don't really agree with that. This thread isn't about them anyway.

Yeah Milo knows his name, doesnt mean he listens though. A certain amount of training has to be given to a dog or they cant live with humans BUT as we have domesticated dogs to much we cant really go and release our house dogs can we.

I don't recall saying that we should let them into the wild! I don't have a problem with people keeping dogs. They are a domesticated species that would find it difficult to survive in the wild. What I am saying is that training a guide dog is just an extension of the training they get when we bring them up living in a home. We ask them to behave in a way that is not completely natural to them.

• Usually people in the west have a choice about how they use animals. They can use them for food, but they don't need to. They can use them for work, but they don't need to.

Blindness is a disability with limited choices, while it is not be the best solution for animalkind, it is the best solution for the blind. I'm sure when a better solution comes along we'll be able to move forwards a bit more.

There will always be blind people who neglect their dogs, just as there will be other cruel pet owners. It is important, but not really the issue here.

There are millions of unwanted, neglected and cruelly treated animals out there. I'd rather see an animal working, but well treated, than see it on someone's plate after a short life on a farm.

• As with all animal owners there are very good considerate ones and there is a percentage of crap very inconsiderate owners and that percentage must apply in some proportion to blind people to. At least these dogs are checked on periodically and I don't think they are legally owned by the blind person so if something was badly amiss the dog would just be taken away. Most 'blind' people are just so pleased of the freedom that one of these dogs can bring them that they love and care for their best friend in the greatest detail.

• This is a post from another forum I am on (an animal forum) in a thread about animals being killed in traffic.

This is an example of someone who clearly should not be allowed a guide dog! I don't understand why no one did anything about the poor dog in the first place though :(

Though it does remind me of when my mother used to work for the local blind association. There was a horrible little man who treated his guide dog really appallingly. He used to be always beating the dog for not crossing the road. My mum and her colleagues were forever getting calls from members of the public saying they'd seen a blind man mistreating his dog and trying to drag it across the road when it wouldn't go because cars were coming. The dog did it's job very well, but this bloke was one of those who just wanted to step out into a busy road and expected everything to stop, and the dog was trained not to. He didn't deserve the dog and the dog certainly didn't derserve him! Well, one day my mum came home and said the man had been run over and killed. The first thing I said (and so did everyone else) was "is the dog ok though?". (he was )

• Quote from starpoi

This is an example of someone who clearly should not be allowed a guide dog! I don't understand why no one did anything about the poor dog in the first place though :(

If I saw someone doing that I'd be tempted to cut the straps he holds the dog with :reddevil: Let the twat be squished :reddevil:

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• So the answer is..... we let all the dogs out on the street and give them their freedom from slavery! Let them live eu naturalle!! Imagine the bloody chaos that would cause - you'd be constantly culling them! IMO I still say a happy working dog is a good thing.

• Quote from lilylove

So the answer is..... we let all the dogs out on the street and give them their freedom from slavery! Let them live eu naturalle!! Imagine the bloody chaos that would cause - you'd be constantly culling them!

Well that hardly constitutes a rational argument, does it? :rolleyes: