Support me becoming veggie...

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I have been wanting to go vegetarian since I was 5 and was told by my school that meat came from animals.

I have finally decided that I am going to do it, by about the middle of next month sometime... I would like to become veggie...I am making this thread as a general suport to me in this process..becuase...i have no support in this..noone understands why I want to become veggie...and I feel like i could do with some people to hold my hand abit...

Right first things first

I really think I need to learn to cook...:eek:
    I am rather terrible at cooking..and I have a very low budget...which is going to get worse if I get into college this year....

What things do you recomend I fill my store cupbored? I mean what type of things are very common in veggie recipies that I can keep stored...working on a budget i can't afford to buy all the ingrediants for a meal everytime. I am going to slowly build up a store cupbored....

Also Does anyone have any really simple cheap veggie recipies... I am terrible at cooking..things allways burn or come out lumpy..or runny...or..just plain wrong. I want to teach myself..but I do not know how....

thanks in advance :)

• hehe good luck with it :D isn't as hard as you might think, well unless you're really fussy when it comes to food.
    i think there's loadsa recipes on the forum which people have put up, lots of them seem pretty simple.

but i can't cook very well either and when it takes too much time/effort i've taken to getting veggi microwave meals :rolleyes: but I guess that might not be the best advice to offer you.

Just don't kick yourself when you eat something and didn't realise it wasn't veggi!

g'luck :)

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• Or take the middle route and buy veggie "meat". It might taste a bit funny but you can still use all your current recipies! minimum effort for maximum result!

• i support you!
    a meal i always cook is just..a mixture of any veg you want..cook it in a wok...add either tinned toms or some pasta sauce...and voila...eat on its own or with pasta....when my parents dont cook i tend to live off that..can also add things like tofu or quorn pieces..and seeds work aswell :)

• Have a wee look here...

http://www.vegsoc.org/

and here...

http://www.viva.org.uk/

There's heaps of advice and support on becoming veggie. :) Viva will send you out a free pack on going veggie/vegan as well.
    I have more fun cooking as a veggie then I ever did when I ate meat. You'll feel healthier and have heaps more energy too. Go for it! :hippy:

• Quote from Cybw

Or take the middle route and buy veggie "meat". It might taste a bit funny but you can still use all your current recipies! minimum effort for maximum result!

I am not a huge fan of veggie "meat"...
    Plus I am not very good at cooking with meat either...haha...
    Just means if I go veggie I will have to learn to cook my own food and not rellie(sp?) and other people even half as much :o

BarefootandHappy-> Thanks for those links they are really helpfull...

• There are loads of good recipes in the recipe section!
    Which should give you an idea of what to fill your storecuboard with!

• Quote from Kaiya

I have a very low budget...

You're in luck then because a veggie diet is, generally, far cheaper than a meat-based one :) What kind of food are you into? I'm sure if you tell us what you like then we could find you some wonderful easy recipes :)

• I like nutroast type things...
    medatorian food tends to generally be a pleaser for me...
    Mexican food...
    Sweet/soury type dishes always go down well...

and I am a huge bean fan....
    Beans are the greatist....

I really like mushy food and I am not too big on really dry foods...
    erm....Like mushy food with bready type things are well nice...
    like I make bean and salsa wraps alot...mmmmm

Erm the only thing i can think of that I really really don't like is Olives...ewww:eek:

• Quote from Kaiya

I really like mushy food and I am not too big on really dry foods...
    erm....Like mushy food with bready type things are well nice...
    like I make bean and salsa wraps alot...mmmmm

Erm the only thing i can think of that I really really don't like is Olives...ewww:eek:

Try my burritos recipe in the recipe section, you can add extra beans too if you want. It's really really easy to make and yummy! I made up the beany/veggie bit and served it hot with tortilla chips the other day, that was good too.

• after reading all the posts on cooking am wishing we could run a vegi cooking course thingy would be fab, how possible though I don't know!

• Quote from fairygirl

after reading all the posts on cooking am wishing we could run a vegi cooking course thingy would be fab, how possible though I don't know!

Wow, that'd be awesome! I really need to learn how to cook in general...
    Yesterday I made rice that tasted EXACTLY like popcorn :eek: :rolleyes:

• Quote from Atomik

And that's a bad thing? :eek:

Popcorn rice + tres badly cooked lentil dahl = :vomit:
    But eaten by itself it's actually quite tasty :D

• Quote from Atomik

How can you make a bad dhal??? It's the easiest dish in the world!!! :harhar:

... It's an indication of my cooking skills :rolleyes:
    And it's not the easiest dish in the world!! Toast is easier still and I still burn that every time I make it :D

• Quote from Atomik

Toast isn't a dish. It's a snack. :harhar:

But add cheese (even I can grate cheese) and... voila! Instant meal :harhar:

• Basic cupboard items:

Dry:
    Pasta (nc. spaghetti)
    Rice
    Noodles
    Lentils
    Tins of:
    Tomatoes
    Kidney Beans
    Chick Peas
    Borlotti
    Baked beans!
    Sweetcorn
    Frozen:
    Spinach
    PeasVeggie sausages & burgers
    Bread
    Veggies:
    Onions
    Garlic
    Mushrooms
    Courgettes
    Red peppers
    Other:
    Salt
    Pepper
    Mixed dried herbs or
    Dried basil, oregano & parsley
    Vegetable bouillon (stock)
    Marmite (or equivalent)

That lot would provide you for some good basic meals. If you keep all the non-perishables in stock you'll be sorted. You should be able to pick all of that dead cheap too.

• Crap, reading that list has made me realise that my basic staple list is really low! I'd better haul ass to the shop! :D