Madeleine abduction - Naming in papers

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Am I alone in feeling that there is something very wrong in the name of the expat who is being questioned as a suspect in the case being splashed across the papers before he is even found guilty, let alone charged.

Even if he is released without so much as a blemish on his character his name will still be forever associated with the murder of a three year old as will probably be the case. It is the same in rape cases - where to add insult to injury a woman who admits making up such a serious charge is still fully protected.

An affront to the principles of justice and the presumption of innocence before proven otherwise or simply a fuss about nothing - what do you think?

• Quote from Cybw

Am I alone in feeling that there is something very wrong in the name of the expat who is being questioned as a suspect in the case being splashed across the papers before he is even found guilty, let alone charged.

Even if he is released without so much as a blemish on his character his name will still be forever associated with the murder of a three year old as will probably be the case. It is the same in rape cases - where to add insult to injury a woman who admits making up such a serious charge is still fully protected.

An affront to the principles of justice and the presumption of innocence before proven otherwise or simply a fuss about nothing - what do you think?

Nope, you aint alone. We both had basically the same response here. But you have to bare in mind that the media is just the modern colluseum.....

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• And just to make matters worse, not only is his picture on the front of at least 2 tabloids (removing Diana from her customary perch on the Express), but the police said he was only being interviewed as a witness (at least they did last night...)

• "his name will be associated with the murder of a three year old"
    we dont even know if she is dead yet and talk like that dampens hope
    im sorry but thats how i feel

we have to have the belief that little madeleine is still alive or what else is there
    im hoping that its a child smuggling group that smuggle young children and babies to childless couples who are desperate
    at least then she will be safe

the portugese police do things a lot differently than our police here at home
    wether rightly or wrongly its all we have right now

i have lit a candle every night and will continue to do so
    every mother and father must be feeling the pain of that poor family

• I was thinking this too, it happens with most big cases, they shoudl not publish details of anything until they are certain and they have been charged for it, even if they are ofund as 100% innocent they still have that link that people think of.

• i feel for their loss but i'm more than a bit uncomfortable with a couple leaving 3 kids under four unattended while they go out to eat.
    i feel really sorry for the man they've named if he turns out innocent

• Quote from sensamelia

but having said that by all accounts these two are great parents

Somehow I can't imagine the sun saying anything but really.

About as likely as the headline "14 year old stab victim was a bit of a twat, says headmaster"

They say they checked on them every 30 minutes, but that's just not adequate for such young children surely >

Apologies for dampening hope - of course I hope that she is still alive and that I am wrong.

• Quote from Cybw

Somehow I can't imagine the sun saying anything but really.

About as likely as the headline "14 year old stab victim was a bit of a twat, says headmaster"

They say they checked on them every 30 minutes, but that's just not adequate for such young children surely > 
    Apologies for dampening hope - of course I hope that she is still alive and that I am wrong.

like i just said in reply to petes post
    no its not enough i would never of left any of mine for a second and i have 7
    but its the wrong time to be judging the parents
    everybody needs to focus on the child not the what ifs

• Quote from sensamelia

but i think its the wrong time to be judging them

Judging and discussing are two different things. The whole point of a "current affairs" forum is discussing current affairs. I very much doubt they're reading hippy forums at the mo, so I don't think the parents will be too troubled by anything that's said here.

everybody needs to focus on the child not the what ifs

Sensi... the thread was started to discuss the morals of naming someone who's being questioned by the police. If you don't want to discuss that, you ain't got to participate in this thread.

• I was pretty shocked by this too, but then I've been shocked by the press treatment of the whole thing. The 'vox pops' on national TV of parents using the situation as an opportunity to voice their own parental superiority ("I'd never have done that") spring to mind. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, and somewhere like this I think it's pretty safe to express them, but on national TV there's a good chance the child's family might have heard it. Not the time.

• Quote from sensamelia

its just my opinion
    and how i feel about the whole thing
    which is what we are all doing putting our views across

Me too. And my view is that it doesn't make much sense to come into a current affairs forum and object to people discussing current affairs.

• Quote from Chazz

Also I reckon the film crews & reporters over there are desperate for any story and will make all they can from very little

No shit. Just watch the BBC reporters waffling on for five minutes at a time, basically repeating the same old shite, trying to make it sound exciting. I'm getting really fucked off with news being treated as entertainment.

• For those that don't realise this...It's not the Police that have named him, it's the media (with the confirmation by his family/friends-possibly naievely adding to it all). The local Police chief did give out one clue...that the suspect had been involved in assisting police as a translator...that's all as far as I can see

• Its a bloody media circus down here. The Police in Portugal have to keep quiet about their investigations by law. It became law when too much information was freely allowed to be discussed and seriously jeopardised a previous case. They think its better being done this way now. The media should leave them to it. We want all concerned to do the best job they can to find her and find who's responsible.

• Not to mention the fact that Sky [STRIKETHROUGH]Gossip[/STRIKETHROUGH] News now has pictures of some woman he was supposedly "involved" with and her "estranged husband" as well :eek:

This whole thing is a farce....and thats before we get to the whole "Diana" phenomenon that Madeleine seems to be becoming....

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• it's certainly unjustifiable to name the bloke this stage, whatever the outcome in the future.

i sincerely hope the little girl is alive and well and will be returned unharmed to her family. i would not have left my son alone at that age, but i'm sure that nobody is going to be harder on the parents about that than the parents themselves.

according to http://www.thehungersite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=1: "About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes.... ... Three-fourths of the deaths are children under the age of five."

Are the people who allow this to happen any less guilty than whoever took that little girl?

I think the media is abhorrent and we should keep things in perspective, keep our eye on the bigger picture.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln

• I think this is outrageous. I watched the BBC news last night and all I saw were journalists who had nothing to say - they'd even gone so far as to interview the guy's uncle!

And queuing in a shop today the Daily Mail headline screamed out some kind of similarity to Ian Huntley :eek:

I know that innocent until proven guilty isn't really how this country works but this story is really taking it to the other extreme.

• There's a fantastic quote from the animated series monkey dust. Just as the "peado-finder" general waves his copy at the sun at a suspected peadophile.

"you are innocent until speculated guilty!"

• Argh, I was thinking the same thing in the shop today when I was stareing at all these headlines compareing him to Ian Huntly...and one talking about his suposed threesome.....as if having a threesome suddenly makes you a child abuser....which is also media hype becuase there is no evidence yet that this is a sexual motivated case at all...

I have no idea what envolvement if any this guy might have but there is no way the media should be hounding him and especially not nameing him or printing pictures of him untill he has been charged.

• In our local paper, there was an article on the front page saying that three people had been interviewed, and that one was a "suspect". In the next sentence it gave the guys name. Might as well have printed "we think you did it".
    I think it is very wrong for this guy to have been named at this stage. The shit that the media sling at people sticks and if he's innocent it's going to really screw his life big time.
    The media truely are arseholes.

• Quote from barefootandhappy

if he's innocent it's going to really screw his life big time.

Or, if it turns out he is completely innocent, he might then be the case that makes the difference and turns round to clobber the media and make abig story of the whole "guilty cos we say so" situation......

The media truely are arseholes.

They are nothing without their audience though.....

• Its also rapidly turning into "Diana II".....