Tips on how to survive in the woods?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Just whondering if anyone had any tips or links with tips on survival in the woods, especially in the winter, kind of planning on moving permanently and leaving society all together.

• Well, I will have a few practice rounds ofcourse, being out first a couple of days, then the next time a 1 week or 2, and so on untill I feel I am ready.

• man the winters will be pretty cold in sweden as your aware of
    your gonna need some pretty heavy duty gear
    unless your planning on building some kind of cabin but even then your gonna need some pretty heavy duty insulation

are you sure youve really thought it through

i can tatally dig the wanting to opt out thing but id seriously get me shit together get some money behind me and buy a small piece of land
    way out yonder
    build some sort of cabin and weather it good and proper

i notice on your profile it says you choose not too work
    and im not having a dig at you hunny but what are you planning on living on in the winter months

• Quote from Chazz

Wow...Coyote's getting more handsome with every day that passes:harhar:

Beware those full moons, expat boy :harhar: :reddevil:

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Make sure you raise the floor space off ground level - use old storage palettes (trust me, it makes a difference between damp and dry) - get a nice burner - or depending on the size of the bender ur making, make a nice fire pit in the middle - and take care arranging the covers (tarps) around the chimney - it's best to send the chimney out at ground level, then up

• Quote from Zambaku

Just whondering if anyone had any tips or links with tips on survival in the woods, especially in the winter, kind of planning on moving permanently and leaving society all together.

you're out of your mind... we did it for 18 months, cause we had
    no choice.
    no power,
    no lpg,
    no running water

recommend you take

toilet paper
    matches
    stove
    fuel
    traps, fishing nets,spears, a gun (sorry if this offends anyone)
    toothpaste
    insect replent
    washing powder

have a serious think about,
    yurt, shelter
    water source
    your diet
    toilet
    food
    fuel
    how will you keep food fresh?
    finance
    keeping clothes, bedding, books dry?
    but the big one (everyone thinks is a piece of piss cause they spent two days at a festival and thought a funky stink of themselves was a bit of a chuckle..)
    washing clothes, how?
    OR, washing yourself when everything on you/near you is wet & covered in mud & crawling with insects/human waste material, and its raining??
    think about how long it will take, and how much energy you'll expend chopping the wood to burn in the stove to heat the water to make coffee..

lots more great facts to tell you ~but really can't be bothered.
    you'll find this stuff out all by yourself!

have fun, but please, don't burn any bridges until you're absolutely sure you really are met to be the wild man of the woods.
    have a wonderful day, peaceout.

• Having only ever camped in the snow during the Newbury protest the only advice I can offer is raise yourself off the ground by borrowing a wooden pallet, line your tarp with blankets, raise the sides during the day to clear the condensation even if it's freezing outside and pack enough recreational drugs to keep you going through the long nights - but no so many that you forget to shiver!

• Quote from denhaag

toilet paper

Eco friendly paper yes? Or with your other items BASH the countryside with modern living CAMPING tools???

I suggest... wipe ur bottom with nice soft leaves - the type you rarely find - sage is a no no as it leaves llittle pricks in u bottom that irritate you - dandelion leaves are OK

Make a fire with twigs - not fire lighters

That's all for now

[/sarcasm]

• buy a yurt, discover for yourself,
    don't piss around with too much stuff

• Quote from Funktion-1

Make sure you raise the floor space off ground level - use old storage palettes (trust me, it makes a difference between damp and dry) - get a nice burner - or depending on the size of the bender ur making, make a nice fire pit in the middle - and take care arranging the covers (tarps) around the chimney - it's best to send the chimney out at ground level, then up

why off the ground, stuff bubble wrap, paper, old clothing, under ground sheet.
    tarps around chimneys sounds a bit iffy to me, why not buy a silicone cap and rule out any chance of burning to death