Aghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Why why why!! [Mars bars etc]

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Just found out that Masterfoods have changed the suppliers of the whey powder they use in their chocolate. This now means that the whey powder comes from animal rennet and hence not suitible for vegetatrians.

I am fast running out of what chocolate I can eat now. So I now have to say goodbye to Mars bars, Galaxy, Maltesers, Minstrals, etc....

I know this is probably a 101 rant. But why is it a company has back pedalled like this.

There is a petition about this:-

Dear Friends,

I have just read and signed the online petition:

"Masterfoods use of rennet derived from an animal source"

hosted on the web by PetitionOnline.com, the free online petition
    service, at:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/MarsWhey/

I personally agree with what this petition says, and I think you might
    agree, too. If you can spare a moment, please take a look, and consider

signing yourself.

Also the blog for this can be found here

Matt

• Chocolate is not chocolate - at least the stuff sold as chocolate in the UK. The EU tried to ban most british chocolate being called chocolate because it really is not chocolate it is a chocolate substitute (trying to see how many times I can get chocolate into a sentance). The Belgium chocolatiers (?) we going crazy about it - but then that only lasted, like a day or something, and then everyone went off and ate fancy chocolate like praline or liquers (?) or 80% cocao or........
    I used to eat loads but now I don't.

• sob sob sob *deep breath* waaaaarrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhh...............

don't worry, there's not an air raid siren going off, it's the wailing and howling coming from the general direction of a wet welsh farm...

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Although I don't doubt that Masterfoods may have made changes to thier chocolate that make it unsuitable for veggies, I'm a bit confused here - how are the issues of whey powder and rennet linked? Surely they are different things - Whey powder comes from milk, making it unsuitable for vegans and people who are dairy-intollerant, but not (lacto-)veggies, while rennet comes from cows' stomachs, so it's unsuitable for veggies and vegans, but not dairy-intollerant omnivores. Please explain! I'm a veggie married to an omnivore with a dairy-intollerance, so we both need to know the implications of this!

• Quote from AnnieAnne

Although I don't doubt that Masterfoods may have made changes to thier chocolate that make it unsuitable for veggies, I'm a bit confused here - how are the issues of whey powder and rennet linked? Surely they are different things - Whey powder comes from milk, making it unsuitable for vegans and people who are dairy-intollerant, but not (lacto-)veggies, while rennet comes from cows' stomachs, so it's unsuitable for veggies and vegans, but not dairy-intollerant omnivores. Please explain! I'm a veggie married to an omnivore with a dairy-intollerance, so we both need to know the implications of this!

Whey powder is a by-product of cheese manufacturing. During the manufacture of cheese rennet is added to milk to start of the curdling process. It is not a problem if the whey powder is sourced from processes that make vegetarian cheeses it becomes a problem if the source is of a cheese maker who uses animal rennet.

Matt

• Oh my god has anybody read masterfoods official statement?

I can't remember word for word , it was in the newspapers

"Yes it means very very strict vegetarians can't eat our products, but many less strict vegetarians can continue to eat our products"..

ehm?!!!!

surely if you eat anything meat like you are not vegetarian?! It's making it sound like its only a small portion of loons its going to effect...pfft they'll realise when their profits fall.

This could be a thing to prompt me to vegan

• Most of their products contain egg anyway so I don't eat them regardless - however, I won't touch a thing now. Thanks for the warning :)

• thats the quote!

""If the customer is an extremely strict vegetarian, then we are sorry the products are no longer suitable, but a less strict vegetarian should enjoy our chocolate," said Paul Goalby, corporate affairs manager for Masterfoods."

• Rubbish.

Are they on the shelves now? Do the ingredients clearly show that animal products have been used?

I'm not too bothered about Mars Bars or Snickers....... but Twix and Maltesers........ :faint: I can't live without em!

• Green and Blacks??? I can't find that on the approved list. Maya Gold is the only chocolate worth eating!:insane:

• http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6673549.stm

Who'd have thought, eh? :rolleyes:

• Would you still be willingly to eat their products even though they where going to do it?
    Maybe they did it for attention of some kind!!
    Maybe they wanted a arguement

or maybe they just dont think about the vegetarian and vegan people!

• why they thought to even do it in the first place was stupid...
    when i found out bounty wasnt veggie a while ago i almost died..til i remembered that i dont eat chocolate anyway :| oh no i remember now..i like the dark bountys...*rambles away...*

• When I turned Veggie it was because i dont really like the tastes of meat so i technically was one as i didnt eat meat and it is just easier to say that so people dont offer you meat, however, i dont know and havnt heard of a single other person who has done that so i agree. He's probably just struggling to not loose people.

One of my tutors commented that its just like a shampoo company going "i know what would make our products sell more, if we started dropping it in bunnies eyes again!"

• I am glad they made a U turn. Now if I was the boss I would be handing the person who made the decision in the first place their P45 and praying that this incident did not do to much damage commercially.

Alienating more than 6 million customers is not a good commercial decision. It was not just vegetarians that would of been affected by this. Jews and Muslims would of been affected to because of their religious dietry requirements. I suspected as soon as 6000 people complained about this they better do something else they risk going under.

I think the decision in the first place was a cost cutting exercise. Trying to make their products as cheap as possible, but I hope this comes as a lesson to us all that it is not good business sense to alienate your customers to save money. Ultimately it would cost you more in lost business. They would be looking for other ways of reducing their costs I suspect. This sort of thing will continue to happen if we continue to have a supermarket mentality of buying the cheapest goods.

Matt