joining a community, (split thread - sort of)

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• james has written a description of our community here, and i didn't want to derail his thread, so if anyone's seriously interested in it can we discuss it here instead.

if you want to pm me a contact number and write a bit about yourself (why you want to join, what you have to offer, etc) then that would be cool.

we're off for the summer soon so probably wont have time to sort anything long term out before that but we're always up for visitors to work for board and food.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• As I said, I'd love to come and visit and see what the place is like, if that is possible :)

• as i said......

Quote from stardust

if you want to pm me a contact number and write a bit about yourself (why you want to join, what you have to offer, etc) then that would be cool.

:harhar:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Quote from stardust

as i said......

:harhar:

so is there a point in this thread at all? :harhar:

• yes....to ask questions and discuss.

these are the questions i had via pm so i copied them here so everyone can know the answers!

Quote from irish hippie

i am really interested how such a cool community works. Did you guys set the rules that no meat, alcohol, or drugs were to be on the premises? Cuz i would assume meat could cause fights between people, and alcohol DEFINATELY does, and then just no drugs so that policeman james doesnt close it all down? :P

the communal kitchen is vegetarian but the site is not. you can cook ya bacon in your own space using your own utensils. alot of this is health and safety coz mostly we cook and prepare food outdoors and its harder to keep meat from going off, specially in the height of summer when you're in a field somewhere with no freezer!!

there's no "no alcohol" rule. there's an "everything in moderation" rule. having a couple of drinks round the fire and being sociable is fine. getting wasted and being unsociable is a sure way of being asked to leave.

please can you guys ask questions here rather than in pm? cheers.

• we have community meetings where everything is discussed and decided by a show of hands. we have our own non-verbal communication aswell, (like shaking our hands in the air to show agreement!)

the vision is to eventually end up with a self sustaining community, living off the land and off the grid. so far we grow vegetables and herbs and are in the process of getting a wind generator and some more solar panels, though we're still on mains electric aswell. the water comes from a bore hole and we're also working on a reed bed sewerage system.

most of us travel in the summer working the festivals, providing a kids area. there are a few people on site in the summer though. i haven't spent a summer here so i dont really know how it works.

the problem at the moment is that we have so many ideas and not enough people to carry them out. we're a very busy community with very little "sitting on your arse doing nothing" time!

• So who "officially" owns the land, and how long has your community been up and running?
    And personally, how long have you been a member? :)

Peace :hippy:

• the land is owned by two of the community members. they moved here nearly three years ago and it's been a work in progress ever since!

there's still alot that needs doing, but we're getting there, (which is why we need more people!)

i joined these guys on the road last summer in july and came back to the farm in september, so i've been here either 10 months or 8 months depending on how you look at it!

• How many acres have you got up there, and so far how many people live there??...as I know you need about an acre a person to sustain them... I do believe but don't quote me!!

And what do you all live in... communal house, vehicles, Eco village??

Sounds a great place and some photos would be cool :) sorry the geek in me wanted to know is there a web link??

• 79 acres and 10 people at present!

we live in a combination of trucks, caravans and farm house.

and we need a website!!! (universe......please send us a web designer!)

if anyone wants to visit it's either a short stay with work in exchange for food, or some of the longer term members have jobs and pay rent.

i keep meaning to put up piccies but so far i haven't got round to it!

one day.....

• we're not quite established enough for that yet but definately one day......

• Quote from stardust

and we need a website!!! (universe......please send us a web designer!)

Must be plenty of peeps here who could design you a site. I could throw something together myself if I had the time to spare. Maybe post a request in the bazaar forum? Possibly offer a free weekend of communal living in exchange, or something like that?

• i was thinking something along those lines, but it's more a winter thought because we're heading out for the summer soon so alot of things get put on hold.

• I hope you don't mind me asking about this :o , it's just that it strikes me that this is the area with the most potential for problems - how does it work in terms of money? As you aren't totally self sufficient yet, you must need to buy things and pay the electricity bill etc.

Does all the member's money go into a communal pot, or do people contribute a set amount - in which case how do you adjust for the fact that different people will have different levels of income and savings?

• Quote from AnnieAnne

I hope you don't mind me asking about this :o , it's just that it strikes me that this is the area with the most potential for problems - how does it work in terms of money? As you aren't totally self sufficient yet, you must need to buy things and pay the electricity bill etc.

Does all the member's money go into a communal pot, or do people contribute a set amount - in which case how do you adjust for the fact that different people will have different levels of income and savings?

two choices......work for your keep or pay for your keep!

some people pay rent and bills but go out to work elsewhere, and some of us pay nothing to stay and work doing things like the woodland walk and preparing stuff for the summer, (painting rides etc.)

some people eat on their own and pay their own food bills, but mostly we eat together and all chip in for food each week.

• i've been thinking alot about community living recently but haven't had much experience of visiting the - would be really good to meet up and have a chat all about it - maybe at one of the festies coming up? I'm going to sunrise and maybe small world...

• pm me contact details etc coz we're well up for working visits at the mo...rides dont repaint themselves unfortunately!!