My geodesic dome...

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• i was getting latticed and coppiced mixed up
    lol.. i just looked up what coppice wood is, but i do not think i would be able to diffrenciate between coppiced and non-coppiced wood if i saw them both.... what is the difference in looks? both are wood, just one was cut younger than the other?

i am in the middle of the city so forests are not exactly a dime a dozen around here, to be honest :p.
    also i have no car, so even if i could find some i wouldnt be able to transport it i think :(

lol.. this great idea of mine is fastly disappearing :p

• how about move out and stop living with your parents :harhar:

• Quote from Irish Hippy

i do not think i would be able to diffrenciate between coppiced and non-coppiced wood if i saw them both.... what is the difference in looks? both are wood, just one was cut younger than the other?

The idea is with coppicing, you cut down a tree, but leave enough of the original trunk so you do not kill it. Then, from where the tree has been cut, instead of one trunk growing, you get lots of smaller stems. These grow thin and straight, and with very few side shoots. Once they are big enough you cut them down, and you get lots of long, straight poles that have few knots in, so they're good for fence poles, morris dancing sticks, walking sticks etc. You can do this repeatedly and each time you get more stems growing. A coppiced tree looks quite distinctive - I'll see if I can find a picture.

Blimey, I didn't know I knew so much about wood!

• Yes, here you are:

Do you see how you get lots of long, thin stems growing from one base? That's how you tell you've seen a coppiced tree.

• aww cool thanks... yea i see now
    but i dunno where i could get any...lol... i live in a city that is only smaller than bham, manchester and london in england....

looks like im just going to have to pitch a tent :(

• Are there no woods/commons/parks in Dublin then? - surely it's worth a look if there are. You could try contacting your local council (or whatever they're called in Eire) to see whether they manage any of their trees in this way.

• If you can get copiced wood it might be possible to build a bender structure, if you can use something other than earth to stabalise the bottom of the poles... like weights or something.

...how about you buy a cheap gazeebo and hang up some throws around the edge :p

• Quote from Irish Hippy

looks like im just going to have to pitch a tent :(

Get on to your Ma and see have any culchie relatives who'd give you a bit of land?? :D

• haha spacer ye plonker
    i know this guy who lives in meath.... thats bogger enough but maybe without the land, so the WORST KIND OF BOGGER!! keeps fecking off out of ireland to india, malaysia and china, so his house MUST be empty! I might just go have a look see :whistle:

ps... its you!!!!