Young & Female: Festivals on your own.... is it safe?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• My friends are all being wishy washy about buying tickets for festivals this year, and it looks like they are all mostly just interested in the big metal ones anyway (wacken, Gaspop and Hellfest).

Now Beautiful Days has sold out I want to get my tickets for Sunrise and The Big Chill, but I can't really afford to buy tickets that I may not be paid back for if my friends are lame and decide not to come.

Do you think its unwise to go to a festival on your own?

Do you think it will be very lonley?

and most importantly- do you think it is unsafe?

Feedback is much appreciated :D

• I can't imagine that it'd be unsafe at the festivals you're considering - the Big Chill is, well, chilled and Sunrise looks like it has a pleasant atmosphere (which is more than I can say for some of those metal festies...).
    As for lonely - why not meet up with some of us lot :) I'm looking to go to Sunrise and lots of others are definately going and I suspect you'd be more than welcome to party with us :)

• Quote from Naeni

I am going to Beautiful Days on my own but I'm sure I'll find the UKHippy camp !

yeah, by the smell :whistle:

• Just get the tickets for what you want to regardless of going.

Then if you look about this site there may be some of us going you'd like to meet up with.

Or, just go around on your own, it's the best way to meet new people.

That's the theory I'm testing anyway! XD

Darkflame what's your experiance of being a young girl at a festie? :harhar:

• Quote from Naeni

Darkflame what's your experiance of being a young girl at a festie? :harhar:

Probably the same as Atomiks :whistle:

• If you like folk / electric folk (Oyster band etc) try Big Session, friendly small and safe. And a seriously chilled atmosphere. This is my third time. Plus me and Al and various others are going so you can come play with us.

Naeni see ya at B.D. hun

• Quote from Rook

If you like folk / electric folk (Oyster band etc) try Big Session, friendly small and safe. And a seriously chilled atmosphere. This is my third time. Plus me and Al and various others are going so you can come play with us.

Naeni see ya at B.D. hun

Yay for rook an al! :hug:

Big Session looks like it will be really good, but unfortunately clashes with Hawkfest! I'm goign to try adn go next year though, so easy for me to get to!

• your never alone long at a festival, and i love doing things like festivals alone.

my first over night festival i went to when i was 15, i wen with people i knew but they didnt like me (it was more of a "ive known you all my life and your following me to a festival" thing than a "yes fleassy wed love you to come!") and the moment i got there i made a whole group of new friends who i became best friend with and became drinking buddies with for the next 2 years of my life *shrug*

i love going to places like festivals alone, your more open to meeting people. i wouldnt sujjest it to people under 16 or 17 just because i worry about people traveling along *blush* then again i was doing it that young so *shrug*

• Quote from turpentinekiss

Unwise?? Nope - I used to hitchhike all over the country when I was your age and was the original wild child. Great experiences! Sometimes it's better NOT to have others tagging along with you!! :reddevil:

Lonely?? At a festy????? Are you kidding :eek:

Unsafe?? Keep your wits about you - don't get so shitfaced you don't know what's happening. Take your mobile with you and keep enough money back so that you can get home safely. If you do feel a bit uneasy for any reason go and track down the security/organisers who will help you out :D :D

Above all ............. HAVE FUN :happydanc :happydanc

• im going on my own with the kids, usually go to festies abroad on my own as my mates are slack and broke, hook up with great party people and have a wicked time. As long as you hide your valuables or keep em with ya at all times youll be fine and be sensible ;)

sunrise is such a friendly festie youll be fine hehe

:)

• I guess all those points are very true. I've only ever been to Ozzfest and The Carling festivals before and always had a boyfriend to hide behind, going on my own will certainly give me some extra freedom!

I think it must be all about confidence, until just recently I doubt I would have been able to pitch a tent next to someone I didn't know without feeling quite nervous.
    My outlook on life has changed now- I really think going it alone may be fun!

As for being lonley... well I've always thought crowds are one of the lonliest places to be. paragraph>

• as someone whos done the carling and ozzfest types and then the sunrise and beautiful days types i need to let you know you are in for a shocker :) Its a completely different type of festival, im the out look, the mindset of the people and the layout of the festivals too. I did ozzfest in 01 and reading 01,02 and 03 and then i did beautiful days, glastonbury, sunrise, sun and moon and many others and i will never EVER go back to reading or ozzfest... a) because its not my kind of music anymore and b) because by the last time i went to reading all i got from anyone was abuse, drunken rude, hurtfull and un friendly abuse. .... where as in sunrise and beautiful days and more folk based and family based festivals (even dragon festival gwhich is these days far more punk grime and industrial than fluffy goa trance, and has a large ketamine crew and other hard drug scene) all i ever get from people (aside from the odd fucked up person) is beautiful smiles and respect.

I hope you enjoy the new experiance :)

• Quote from Fleassy

as someone whos done the carling and ozzfest types and then the sunrise and beautiful days types i need to let you know you are in for a shocker :) Its a completely different type of festival, im the out look, the mindset of the people and the layout of the festivals too. I did ozzfest in 01 and reading 01,02 and 03 and then i did beautiful days, glastonbury, sunrise, sun and moon and many others and i will never EVER go back to reading or ozzfest... a) because its not my kind of music anymore and b) because by the last time i went to reading all i got from anyone was abuse, drunken rude, hurtfull and un friendly abuse. .... where as in sunrise and beautiful days and more folk based and family based festivals (even dragon festival gwhich is these days far more punk grime and industrial than fluffy goa trance, and has a large ketamine crew and other hard drug scene) all i ever get from people (aside from the odd fucked up person) is beautiful smiles and respect.

I hope you enjoy the new experiance :)

What that lady said!
    I can understand being nervous if you've only been to the bigger festivals, I'd be pretty nervous doing them alone too. But the smaller fests are a completely different atmosphere. Way more friendly. You'll have a great time!
    :)

• Yep agree with pretty much everything said above. And to reiterate Fleassy's point, the smaller festies are much nicer than the bigger booze & big name festies.

I'd be concerned that you meet up with lots of crazy UK Hippies and they abduct you and your life will never be the same again!!!!! :reddevil:

• Sounds like your about to leave your mates behind. :)

Only hippies can do festivals, and you aint been to one yet. If you get your act together and get your ticket you'll have a lovely time. :wiggle:

• Quote from turpentinekiss

Only if you are lacking in common sense ;)

No - I went to Big Green on my own when I was 18 and met some wonderful people who have become close friends, and other people who I only see at festivals and the odd free party. On your own you branch out more.

At BGG I met some guys from the BBC on the coach from London and camped with them for extra security (and also for company). However, I found it a very safe festival. I would, however, be more concerned about bigger, boozier festivals on my own (as mentioned above). It might be an idea to steward a few so you get to meet people in a safer environment if you're worried (plus save a few pennies).

• I personally wouldn't go to the carling weekenders or download on my own. But festivals like Glade and Sunrise I would do. It would be tricky at first but you would get used to it and you would meet some people. At boom festival for example everyone was so so friendly. I had a mini row with my guy due to us being irritable(Sp?) in the mid day heat (my god was it hot) and I sat crying outside my tent (again the heat making everything too over emotional) and some people came and sorted me out gave me drinks and put a blanket over me and talked to me for a while.

As for safety. I wouldn't advice hitching or anything as a lone female...but actually at the festival aslong as you don't over do it to the point you can not look after yourself festivals like sunrise and the big chill I reckon you will be safe at.

Plus there wil be plenty people from this site who would meet up with you I am sure. I am going to sunrise myself :)