Lifts to sunrise

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Sunrise is getting close and I still can't afford the train tickets.
    This is probably a long shot..

but is anyone travelling through Nottingham or from nottingham or the surrounding areas such as derby or other midlands areas who has spaces for 2 more people for me and my boyfriend?

We'll be able to pay for or pay for most of the petrol money..or atleast out fair share of the petrol money.

I am after a lift there and a lift back but if anyone can do just one of these that would be amazing...We are friendly people..just have little money.

I was contemplateing hitch hiking but I have never done that before so I am dubious of it as I don't really know what I am doing.

like i said this is probably a long shot...but it is worth a try.

P.S sorry for not posting this in the sunrise thread..I didn't think my post would get noticed.

• If you want hitching of advice, I've got plenty. It's generally not too bad if you're in a couple and you're sticking to motorways. Can't help you with the lift from Nottinghamn, but I can probably grab you from somewhere nearby if you need a lift for the last leg. If you don't get a proper lift sorted, let me know and I'll PM you my mobile number in case you get stuck. Can't make any promises though unless you have firm plans.... can't stay sober enough to drive for the whole festival ;)

• Hey thank you for replying.

Hitching advice would be great as I seem to think it might be coming down to that all though I will see if i get any responses from anywhere before i decide to hitch. Signed up to some lift shareing websites and stuff.

I think our plans are to be travelling down either the 30th or the 31st and back up on the 4th I would be able to give further details a little bit closer to the time. I am not sure how long hitching to sunrise would be expected to take..to be honest I don't know much about hitching at all other then I know my mother might have a fit if she thought I was going to do some :whistle: ..ha I sound like a right newbie..hmm...i think someone needs to advice me up a bit.

anyway thanks for your reply, If we can not find a sutible lift I will drop you a PM.

Thank you :)

• When hitching, stick to motorways and service stations where possible. Don't get dropped off at junctions unless you have no other choice. Service stations are much easier to get picked up from. Plus if you just can't get a lift, you can at least get shelter and a cup of tea, or even go round pleading with lorry drivers.

Make sure you understand road maps. Things like restricted junctions become important. Remember that the junctions where motorways meet are unhitchable.

TBH, coming from Nottingham is not gonna be the easiest hitch in the world. If you can work out a way to get as far as Bristol on public transport, you're most of the way there. Hop on a bus to Glastonbury and I can get you the rest of the way.

If you do hitch, you're looking at M1 - A42/M42 - M5.

• Thanks I will look into ways to get to bristol using public transport. To be honest that does sound better then hitching all the way from Nottingham. Hmm ..I will search around and get back to you.

Thanks again :-D

• If you check the Sunrise site I'm sure there is a link there to a website for lift share and that Sunrise has been registered as an event on there. Am having a very strange day at the mo but will try and see if I can find a link later.

Right go to the Getting there page and right at the bottom the is a link to Freewheeler site, can't figure out how to get the link on here thou.

Sorry just read your thread properly and you;ve probably done this

• Quote from Kaiya

Sunrise is getting close and I still can't afford the train tickets..

I am coming from brum, how much approx from where you live is it???

'You have not seen a real women, untill you have seen a beautifal hippy girl dancing bare foot in a field'

• Quote from Atomik

Hop on a bus to Glastonbury and I can get you the rest of the way.

as a side note the bus from bristol to glastonburys really cheap..like £3 or something...well it was wehn i did it last year.

• Quote from moonpup

I am coming from brum, how much approx from where you live is it???

erm I think birmingham is about an hour half train journey away....but as far as I remember from doing it in the past it is only about a tenner so we could probably get to birmingham/the surrounding area if needs be...infact that could be a decent option..

• Quote from Kaiya

erm I think birmingham is about an hour half train journey away....but as far as I remember from doing it in the past it is only about a tenner so we could probably get to birmingham/the surrounding area if needs be...infact that could be a decent option..

ooops my fault.... :o

I am getting train down to sunrise and wondered how much you have to pay for train tickets. You said you could not afford train tickets so I wondered if you knew how much it costs coming from the midlands area as well

Sorry about confusion.

'You have not seen a real women, untill you have seen a beautifal hippy girl dancing bare foot in a field'

• darn I had gotten all excited then :harhar:

Erm according to national express a coach to bristol was going to cost me 50 quid...

or trains to yeovill pen mill station were saying 50 quid from nottingham about a month ago..and according to national rail are £66.60 return now..although i will look around further obviously..that is like the price of my sunrise ticket :S.

I am terrible at finding good deals though so my dad is going to have a look for me today and see what he comes up with...so I will PM you what he finds out. It may be well cheaper then that...but i couldn't find anything cheaper and I remember paying about 17 quid to get to wolverhampton from nottingham so those prices looked about right...

I'll let you know what my dad finds out anyway...

• Thanks for info!!!

What I tend to do is go to train station a few weeks before and ask to get to my final destination as cheap as possible. If you just ask how much it costs, they give you the most expensive price (there was something in the paper about it). So yeah, ask the cheapest price possible, and they will give you options. It will probably mean lots of train hops, but it may work out cheaper.

Its an option anyway if you cant get lift and will sure beat hitch hiking.

• yep I will do that.

It is tricky becuase currently my guy has about a pound to his name and whist constantly looking for a job really is not having much luck....so we are really haveing to scrape it together to get there.

it will be so so worth it though :D

It is still looking like getting to bristol is going to be the cheapist train option if it comes down to that.

• UPDATE: WE now have train tickets to Bristol on the 31st and from Bristol back to Nottingham on the 4th. My dad it turns out is working in the area on the 31st and is going to pick me up from Bristol to take me to sunrise :D

Just need to get back to Bristol from sunrise on the 4th now....
    Thank you loads to all who have replyed

• Quote from Kaiya

Just need to get back to Bristol from sunrise on the 4th now....
    Thank you loads to all who have replyed

I can give you a lift to Glastonbury, and it's an hour's bus ride from there - £5 ish I think - if you can't get a ride all the way.

• Quote from Atomik

I can give you a lift to Glastonbury, and it's an hour's bus ride from there - £5 ish I think - if you can't get a ride all the way.

Yay thank you :) :happydanc
    My train is not untill half 6 on the 4th...so I would be able to fit round your plans for leaving I think so I wouldn't be inconveniencing (opps spelling) anyone I hope :).